• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 219 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

DBotero said:
Jagartrott said:
Another confirmation that Froome is nervous: Démare said that Froome exchanged some shoulders with him on the sprint stage on Friday and badmouthed him - 2 km from the finish. Froome has upset quite a number of people by now.

I'm thinking that Demare should better concentrate on his sprinting abilities which are lacking at the moment and leave Froome alone.I like Demare but crying about this is hilarious considering he's a sprinter.He should be happy that was Froome and not Renshaw.
I'm thinking, what the hell was Froome doing near Demare and why the hell did he need to shoulder him? 2km to go FFS. Get over yourself, Stick man.

LaFlorecita said:
King Boonen said:
Jagartrott said:
King Boonen said:
That's called riding a bike.
Démare sounded genuinely, well, shocked. This wasn't on km 80 or something, this was in full sprint preparation, a GC guy coming to exchange blows with a sprinter.

Sounds like Demare needs to toughen up then. With the way the rules are GC guys have to be at the front (ok, maybe not that far forward!) and as a sprinter he's going to have to deal with it.

I'd guess it's more that Demare is not seen as a top line sprinter so maybe isn't let through the pack as easily as guys like Cav, Greipel, Sagan etc. and he gets frustrated.
But it's not just Demare who has complained about it, many riders are apparently a bit fed up with Froome and Sky's dangerous riding.

Well let they riders speak out until then it's just bullsh1t rumours

LaFlorecita said:
DBotero said:
Jagartrott said:
Another confirmation that Froome is nervous: Démare said that Froome exchanged some shoulders with him on the sprint stage on Friday and badmouthed him - 2 km from the finish. Froome has upset quite a number of people by now.

I'm thinking that Demare should better concentrate on his sprinting abilities which are lacking at the moment and leave Froome alone.I like Demare but crying about this is hilarious considering he's a sprinter.He should be happy that was Froome and not Renshaw.
I'm thinking, what the hell was Froome doing near Demare and why the hell did he need to shoulder him? 2km to go FFS. Get over yourself, Stick man.

Haters gonna hate :D Maybe he likes to sprint,who knows.

rick james said:
You don't believe De Jongh when he says riders feel Froome is very nervous and as a result, dangerous?
What about him elbowing Caruso? Nibali wrongly accused Froome of causing him to crash, I wonder why he thought it was Froome? And didn't he mention the elbows too?

Is he and SKy serious now it is the turn to other riders or SKy as usual in the First mountain finish is goint to put an strong train in la Pierre?

With that riders, first mounbtain stage and the shape of Froome, tahy can settled an strong time in la Pierre difficult to improve.

Froome better performance in the mountains can be now. Ge is very good in the trird week and in long stages with more climbs, but with several mountain stages in a row pure climbers feel better that just coming from flat stages. And Froome is not a pure climber.

iI Quintana is with him in la Pierre, and I think will be that way, he could be better in some stage later.

and next day in Cauterets we will see how SKY and him can handle tactical situations.

LaFlorecita said:
rick james said:
You don't believe De Jongh when he says riders feel Froome is very nervous and as a result, dangerous?
What about him elbowing Caruso? Nibali wrongly accused Froome of causing him to crash, I wonder why he thought it was Froome? And didn't he mention the elbows too?

First week I the tour is always nervous, that's racing...and the Froome-Nibali crash needs to be forgotten about, it had nothing to do with Froome, Nibali is a clown for being so hot headed, he embarrassed himself with his words and his actions. It had nothing to do with Froome so he doesn't need mentioned in that crash

LaFlorecita said:
King Boonen said:
Jagartrott said:
King Boonen said:
Démare sounded genuinely, well, shocked. This wasn't on km 80 or something, this was in full sprint preparation, a GC guy coming to exchange blows with a sprinter.

Sounds like Demare needs to toughen up then. With the way the rules are GC guys have to be at the front (ok, maybe not that far forward!) and as a sprinter he's going to have to deal with it.

I'd guess it's more that Demare is not seen as a top line sprinter so maybe isn't let through the pack as easily as guys like Cav, Greipel, Sagan etc. and he gets frustrated.
But it's not just Demare who has complained about it, many riders are apparently a bit fed up with Froome and Sky's dangerous riding.

Links? I'd complain about Froome just for the way he looks on a bike if I had to ride with him, but unless there is something more concrete than De Jongh says so I'll take it with a massive pinch of salt.

rick james said:
LaFlorecita said:
rick james said:

First week I the tour is always nervous, that's racing...and the Froome-Nibali crash needs to be forgotten about, it had nothing to do with Froome, Nibali is a clown for being so hot headed, he embarrassed himself with his words and his actions. It had nothing to do with Froome so he doesn't need mentioned in that crash
Can you read? I was suggesting that, since Nibali thought Froome caused the crash and also mentioned his elbows in an interview, Nibali has also had some issues with Froome in the peloton?
First week is always nervous. Froome is taking it to the extreme and is making the peloton more dangerous, both for himself and for other riders.

LaFlorecita said:
King Boonen said:
Jagartrott said:
King Boonen said:

Care to give some examples?

Ryo Hazuki said:
I also take in bonus seconds.

froome being stronger than 2013 seems no ground to be based on. quintana definitely is. froome will be empty just as he was in other final weeks'of gt's.

Just found this gem.Now i'm not worried anymore about Froome's 3 week.I'm confident he'll be insane :eek:

Walkman said:
LaFlorecita said:
King Boonen said:
Jagartrott said:
King Boonen said:

Care to give some examples?
Why don't you just read my posts? :)

sV2YbZO.jpg

Marginal wines.

I was just thinking that there was a lot of whines in this thread and voila.

Froome has definitely been more aggressive this year for position as evidenced in Stage 3. Of course, if he gave away position, he would be ridiculed for being a stick insect and not tough enough by many, so he can't really win on this forum.

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:

Thank you Sam! I've never seen anybody do this before: show winning percentages during an event. I'm not into betting but have always enjoyed checking betting odds for sporting events (or prediction markets for events in general) and wished that betting sites did percentage conversions. Looking forward to any updates from you!

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Jagartrott said:

maybe someone will finally do "karpet' move on contador 2011 :D His wing span arm bounds to stuck in someone's back saddle.. :D

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
The odds moved quite a bit today despite no racing going on. Whether that reflects new information (based on what the riders says today, Basso's departure, etc), gamblers having new thoughts on tomorrow is hard to say. The market is now fairly liquid with about 0.9M pounds wagered on the outcome of the Tour. For comparison, something like Wimbledon or the CL final gets much more (tens of millions), leading to implied probabilities that are closer to the truth.

It's certainly looking good for Froome. If he drops them tomorrow, especially Quintana, the remaining chance Froome doesn't win will mostly reflect the chance of unusual events like crashes.
4XOxmnS.png

BrentonOfTheNorth said:
Thank you Sam! I've never seen anybody do this before: show winning percentages during an event. I'm not into betting but have always enjoyed checking betting odds for sporting events (or prediction markets for events in general) and wished that betting sites did percentage conversions. Looking forward to any updates from you!
I'm not into really gambling myself either, in part because I don't have enough money to overcome transaction costs and in part because, based on statistical analysis I've done, I cannot reliably make money doing it.

I follow prediction markets because they usually give the best guess as to what's going to happen, they predict better than statistical models, and of course much better than pundits and fans.

BrentonOfTheNorth said:

The implied odds can be calculated at 1 / decimal odds. e.g. atm Froome is at 1.66/1.67 back/lay, so the implied odds = 1 / 1.665 = 0.06006 = 60.06%

Yes, these odds are as close to the true odds as you can get, because it is the aggregate of many betters putting their money where their mouth is. Certainly more trustworthy than my own guesstimates or those of random people in the forum.

TRENDING THREADS