• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 247 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Bushman said:
LaFlorecita said:
movingtarget said:
For all the talk about Froome's bike handling it's Contador that crashes on descents more often. It's hilarious on the Contador thread where fans are celebrating a weather forecast for rain. if your idol is depending on wet weather to win a GT then things are getting desperate.
Movingtarget you do realize people were hoping for rain because Contador was suffering the in the heat and was struggling with allergies? Probably not. :rolleyes:

Good descenders crash more often on descents. It's because they take more risks. Nibali crashed more often on descents than Andy schleck. I guess that shows Andy Schleck was a better bike handler/descender :rolleyes:

This is BS. How often hvsd you seen Sagan crash on a descent? Or Kwiatkowski or Cancellara? Really good descenders can take risks on the descents but avoid crashing even when taking a bad line.
There we have it, the first person arguing Andy Schleck is a better descender than Vincenzo Nibali. Chapeau :rolleyes:
Of course a good descender can take risks and avoid crashing 9 times out of 10, however sometimes it goes wrong and the rider crashes. Whereas a rider that doesn't take any risks will crash 0 times out of 10.

(And of course Contador only crashed once because of his own doing, and not 3 times as movingtarget suggested)

Edit: and I never said Contador is a "really good descender" he's just good and better than Froome because he isn't afraid to take risks. But go on, keep twisting my words.
No, nibali and contador are dare Devils, their bike handling is mot in Sagan or cancellara calibre hence Froome can follow them. Great decenders are impossible to follow salvodelli for example was impossible to follow when going flat out.

Re:

dacooley said:
froome also is a pretty decent descender, not a great one but far from the worst in the peloton. why did the forum underrate him for a long while in this regard heaven only knows.

1. Froome was a terrible descender before, there is plenty of evidence of that.
2. Obviously, Froome has improved a lot, but no one has really seen it until this TDF
3. Froome has hardly ever been put into the position where he needs to take risks on the descent, and is often in a position where he can play it safe and accept a calculate loss of time.
4. When put in the position where he needs to take risks on the descent (e.g. Col de Croix de Fer stage 20) he will take that risk

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
Edit: and I never said Contador is a "really good descender" he's just good and better than Froome because he isn't afraid to take risks. But go on, keep twisting my words.

Perhaps Contador is a better descender, that has yet to be argued convincingly, but if he is, it sure isn't because he is willing to take more risks.

That's a preference, not a skill. Variation in willingness to take risks in fact makes it harder to ascertain what a rider's descending skill is. If someone goes down the hill quicker, is it because he took more risks and got away with it, or because, taking the same risk, he can go down quicker, which would be skill?

From what I saw of this year's Tour Froome rode a very smart race in the mountains, making sure to sprint to the front of the group just before any important descent so he could ride the descent in the first 2 or 3 places. Textbook riding.

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
So Froome confirmed on Twitter that he will ride the Vuelta

I don't think he can beat Valverde, in back to back GT's, especially since Vuelta is Piti's playground

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

SkyTears said:

I don't think he can beat Valverde, in back to back GT's, especially since Vuelta is Piti's playground

*** Valverde. We've got Quintana, Aru (Landa) and now Froome who are going to finish higher then Piti.

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I didn't mentioned Quintana because

1. Valverde is proven consistent TdF-Vuelta doubles rider
2. Quintana is in the big unknown when talking about double GT's/year. Imo he will be a non factor in the podium battle.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site

Arredondo said:
SkyTears said:

**** Valverde. We've got Quintana, Aru (Landa) and now Froome who are going to finish higher then Piti.

Are you serious? The podium would probably consist of Valverde + 2 out of the 3 Astanas.

nobilis said:
Arredondo said:
SkyTears said:

**** Valverde. We've got Quintana, Aru (Landa) and now Froome who are going to finish higher then Piti.

Are you serious? The podium would probably consist of Valverde + 2 out of the 3 Astanas.

How is your opinion in any way more valid than Arredondo's when the Vuelta hasn't even started?

ray j willings said:
Im sure ITV 4 will show it ,hopefully live ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,oh Sh%t more Millar and Boulting

They've had Vuelta highlights the last 2 years on ITV, Miller and Boulting will more than likely feature at the Tour of Britain coverage though which they show live. I believe last years ITV Vuelta commentators were Phil Liggett with guys like Roger Hammond helping out.

Will be interesting to see how Froome does, for what's it's worth I can't see him doubling up, that was a tough Tour and it wouldn't suprise me if the Vuelta went to fresher legs.

Contador failed badly in the Tour after a tough Giro and I can see Froome doing the same at the Vuelta following his efforts in the Tour.

Re:

Pricey_sky said:
Will be interesting to see how Froome does, for what's it's worth I can't see him doubling up, that was a tough Tour and it wouldn't suprise me if the Vuelta went to fresher legs.

Contador failed badly in the Tour after a tough Giro and I can see Froome doing the same at the Vuelta following his efforts in the Tour.

Contador failed badly in the Tour against 4 riders who had built their season around, and were in top form for the Tour. All the top tier riders will be in nearly the same position as Froome - tired after a tough Tour, and those who are fresh are a notch below imo.

Throw in the fact that most of the tough racing is in weeks 1 and 2, and week 3 is extremely easy for a GT these days, and you've got one of the biggest chances for anyone to win consecutive GTs in a long time.

I'd be surprised if Froome can do it, but I can definitely see him at least challenging, and I definitely wouldn't be surprised if someone who rode the Tour hard wins it (Quintana/Valverde/Nibali)

PremierAndrew said:
Pricey_sky said:

Contador failed badly in the Tour against 4 riders who had built their season around, and were in top form for the Tour. All the top tier riders will be in nearly the same position as Froome - tired after a tough Tour, and those who are fresh are a notch below imo.

Throw in the fact that most of the tough racing is in weeks 1 and 2, and week 3 is extremely easy for a GT these days, and you've got one of the biggest chances for anyone to win consecutive GTs in a long time.

I'd be surprised if Froome can do it, but I can definitely see him at least challenging, and I definitely wouldn't be surprised if someone who rode the Tour hard wins it (Quintana/Valverde/Nibali)

Which GT had a week 3 that was extremely easy?

PremierAndrew said:
Pricey_sky said:

On this theme, perhaps worth noting Froome has 48 race days, while Quintana and Nibali both have 57.
Quintana started his season in January, and Nibali had a big spring, while Froome basically races once a month.

Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Once again, Vuelta shaping up to be the best GT of the year

Tour is always the best GT of the year. Last year the crash of two of the favourites, gave and important plus to the Vuelta, that is an important race, anyway, and this year is Historic, it is the first time a rider that has won le Tour start another GT that year. Very brave for Froome, if he will, would be great.

cantpedal said:
PremierAndrew said:
Pricey_sky said:

Which GT had a week 3 that was extremely easy?

Read it again, he's saying the opposite.

Re:

Pricey_sky said:

Contador has not today that level, Froome yes.

Valverde was 4th in le Tour (with the weather of this year eh would have won likely), and later 3 th in la Vuelta, so it possible, of course. For a Tour winner is a handicap for criteriums and thing like that, Froome, as last year, will be here with the desire to win but now so well prepared as for le Tour and more relaxed, as well at last year, if he win is Ok, and if he dont nothing happen (although is an historic oportunity). But for sure as always with a good competitive

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site

PremierAndrew said:
nobilis said:
Arredondo said:
SkyTears said:

How is your opinion in any way more valid than Arredondo's when the Vuelta hasn't even started?

It's not. I just believe, based on previous seasons, that Valverde handles better the succession Tour-Vuelta therefore he should in theory be among the top favorites for the podium.