• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 288 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Porte can't drop Durainrider? :D Porte cracked By Durainrider :D Yeah he's got the mental strength to win a GT :D

"Its all about the spinning mate" "compact cranks" "Jan Ulrich wouldn't be able to keep up if he was still riding" or Pantani blasting up Alp D huez in the big ring :D

IMO they are 2 of the most unpleasant people I have the pleasure of not knowing.
I usually don't like to pass judgement on people I don't really know but these 2 ego heads. I have seen and heard enough of to make a judgment.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Re:

rick james said:
ray j willings said:
harryh said:
I believe he will be at least as fast as in 2013: https://twitter.com/chrisfroome/status/685890864846094337

He will need to be at his very best at the tour if all the main contenders are in shape.
This will be a big year for his TT. The likes Of Aru will be very aggressive and then if Bertie is in shape, Froome is going to loose time in the Mountains and maybe even Quintana will be more aggressive and learnt for his very conservative tactics at last years tour and the could be a surprise contender as well . Now JV has his hands on Rolland he said there is more to come
http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/01/news/vaughters-on-rolland-he-was-training-like-someone-was-training-in-1975_392667

Ok, Very good, a fully fit Froome won't worry about "bertie" or anyone else, it's almost like you've never seen Froome race a bike

IMO Bertie and Froome have not really come up against each other in top form. 2014 Vuelta was the closest we have got and Bertie was to strong for Froome in that race and most of that year.
You have to look at the fact that in last years tour Froome only won because of the time gain in the wind split.
If you look at the mountains he lost time to Quintana and was really struggling in the last week /week and a half.
If Froome has to contend with an aggressive Aru/ Astana in the last week of the tour then he will need all the TT time he can get to stay in contention. He lost time to Quintana in the mountains and he will lose more time against a much more aggressive rider/team like Aru/Astana.
If Bertie is in top form he will also attack.
You have to base your judgement on evidence not wishful thinking. Even in 2013 Froome lost time in the last week in the mountains.
If they all go to the tour fit Froome will be fighting for a podium place at best. He wont be able to cope with 3 attacking climbers in the last week.

ray j willings said:
rick james said:
ray j willings said:
harryh said:
I believe he will be at least as fast as in 2013: https://twitter.com/chrisfroome/status/685890864846094337

He will need to be at his very best at the tour if all the main contenders are in shape.
This will be a big year for his TT. The likes Of Aru will be very aggressive and then if Bertie is in shape, Froome is going to loose time in the Mountains and maybe even Quintana will be more aggressive and learnt for his very conservative tactics at last years tour and the could be a surprise contender as well . Now JV has his hands on Rolland he said there is more to come
http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/01/news/vaughters-on-rolland-he-was-training-like-someone-was-training-in-1975_392667

Ok, Very good, a fully fit Froome won't worry about "bertie" or anyone else, it's almost like you've never seen Froome race a bike

IMO Bertie and Froome have not really come up against each other in top form. 2014 Vuelta was the closest we have got and Bertie was to strong for Froome in that race and most of that year.

Col du Béal, Critérium du Dauphiné 2014 -> https://youtu.be/s2vYatCG9ks?t=20m30s

Alexandre B. said:
ray j willings said:
rick james said:
ray j willings said:
harryh said:

Col du Béal, Critérium du Dauphiné 2014 -> https://youtu.be/s2vYatCG9ks?t=20m30s
If you peak in the Dauphine, you're doing it wrong

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Velolover2 said:
My respect for Porte just grew a lot!

From what I have heard a lot of pro-riders are annoyed with his presence when he is "riding" with them. He just show up stalking them when they are on their training sessions.

Nice! He always gives the impression that he is the pro riders best friend :D

robin440 said:
Velolover2 said:
My respect for Porte just grew a lot!

From what I have heard a lot of pro-riders are annoyed with his presence when he is "riding" with them. He just show up stalking them when they are on their training sessions.

Nice! He always gives the impression that he is the pro riders best friend :D

I seriously find the guy super hilarious. I havent watched a lot, but I thinking he is acting quite a bit as well in those videos

staubsauger said:
rick james said:
ray j willings said:
harryh said:

Froome's last quality tt dates summer 2014. It's to be seen whether he simply can decide to increase or decrease his ability against the clock. Otherwise he might have a problem with Contador and maybe even Aru if they're well prepared for the cols!

It should be remembered that Quintana will be able to ride good ITT's too- that PV 2013 ITT was on a similar course to what will be in next years TDF and if he is the strongest climber he should be able to go well on the MTT.

robin440 said:
Anyone saw this video of porte where he calls durianrider a ****?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCWvr4ne_Gc
The comments, though...

VeloVegan 4 days ago
+Mohammad Mazloom he was mad because rohan dennis had already dropped him and then the thought of two choppers having a crack at him sent him over the edge

VeloVegan 4 days ago
+Jonathan Firby maybe he's not happy about being rohan dennis's *** for the TDU #speculating

:D

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
But is it wrong to assume that they at least were at equal shape, not peaking, say maybe 90%, in the Dauphine?
Yes, it is wrong to assume that. We don't know at which % of their top shape either of them was. They have different build-ups with Froome always racing Romandie while Contador always has a 7-week break before the Dauphiné. It's part of the reason Froome won the Dauphiné in the years he won the Tour, and Contador didn't.

ray j willings said:
rick james said:
ray j willings said:
harryh said:

You have to look at the fact that in last years tour Froome only won because of the time gain in the wind split.
If you look at the mountains he lost time to Quintana and was really struggling in the last week /week and a half.
If Froome has to contend with an aggressive Aru/ Astana in the last week of the tour then he will need all the TT time he can get to stay in contention. He lost time to Quintana in the mountains and he will lose more time against a much more aggressive rider/team like Aru/Astana.
If Bertie is in top form he will also attack.
You have to base your judgement on evidence not wishful thinking. Even in 2013 Froome lost time in the last week in the mountains.
If they all go to the tour fit Froome will be fighting for a podium place at best. He wont be able to cope with 3 attacking climbers in the last week.
ray, your ability to look at froome in the light of his unpromising future is truly amazing. :) and the funniest thing is in millionth time you proclaim your opinion a fact. :p

Froome can lose time in the final week but it doesn't matter if he's ridiculously strong in the first 2 weeks like he has been in his 2 Tour wins. Rather than Froome being worried about final mountain losses id suggest it should be the others that need to keep thier losses to a minimum in weeks 1-2.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
It is a fact . Froome lost time in the mountains to Quintana in both his tour wins. Simple.
Go check the stats.
If Froome had not had the wind split time in hand then Quintana would have won last years tour.
Froome dripped time in the last week.

How on earth is he going to cope with Aru. Quintana and a possibly on form Bertie all attacking in the last week.
There is no evidence to support Froome getting stronger in the last week of a tour.
He's best chance IMO is to ride smart like he did at the Vuelta when he lost to Bertie and maybe can get a podium at best.
Like I said his TT will have to be huge. He will need big time gaps to have any chance going into the third week.

ray j willings said:
It is a fact . Froome lost time in the mountains to Quintana in both his tour wins. Simple.
Go check the stats.
If Froome had not had the wind split time in hand then Quintana would have won last years tour.

How on earth is he going to cope with Aru. Quintana and a possibly on form Bertie all attacking in the last week.
There is no evidence to support Froome getting stronger in the last week of a tour.
He's best chance IMO is to ride smart like he did at the Vuelta when he lost to Bertie and maybe can get a podium at best.
Like I said his TT will have to be huge. He will need big time gaps to have any chance going into the third week.
either it is a well-thought witty trolling from you or the 2015 tour and other races froome shows up himself well don't teach you anything. ;)

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
dacooley said:
ray j willings said:
Go check the stats.

either it is a well-thought witty trolling from you or the 2015 tour and other races froome shows up himself well don't teach you anything. ;)

Can you tell me exactly what I have said that is not a fact about Froome losing time in the mountains in the third week of a tour? He does.
Sure he's a great rider I am not disputing that.
All I have pointed out going on Froome's previous tour outings is that he will need a huge TT to get some time so he can go into the last week with a chance.
Do you really think that if Froome go's into the last week of mountains with no time gap on Quintana ,Aru. or a in form Bertie , that he will win?
I'm not attacking Froome in anyway, I'm just pointing out IMO what he needs to do if he wants to get on the podium.

ray j willings said:
dacooley said:
ray j willings said:
Go check the stats.

Can you tell me exactly what I have said that is not a fact about Froome losing time in the mountains in the third week of a tour? He does.
Sure he's a great rider I am not disputing that.
All I have pointed out going on Froome's previous tour outings is that he will need a huge TT to get some time so he can go into the last week with a chance.
Do you really think that if Froome go's into the last week of mountains with no time gap on Quintana ,Aru. or a in form Bertie , that he will win?
I'm not attacking Froome in anyway, I'm just pointing out IMO what he needs to do if he wants to get on the podium.
the thing is you definitely can't state quintana would've 100% won the race if there was no wind split in the stage 2. the whole race would've gone differently if both of them finished in the main bunch is what i'm suggesting.

i have no clue who will win the tour, but yes, i admit froome can pull it off even not having a gap on bertie and quintana. no offence, but you seem to deliver the things as though froome on a sudden becomes a second rate climber in the 3rd week and only unfanthomable luck helps him to defend his lead. notwithstanding the dawg always remained 2nd or 3rd climber in the race even when he was put in a serious difficulty.

ray j willings said:
Go check the stats.

Doesn't matter if he wins by an inch or a mile winning's winning.

ray j willings said:
Go check the stats.

It's funny you first mention how Froome doesn't get stronger in the last week of a tour and then mention the Vuelta where he got stronger in the last week of that tour.
Also, he is starting his year quietly, so he'll be fresher once we get to the Tour.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Vasilis said:
ray j willings said:
Go check the stats.

It's funny you first mention how Froome doesn't get stronger in the last week of a tour and then mention the Vuelta where he got stronger in the last week of that tour.
Also, he is starting his year quietly, so he'll be fresher once we get to the Tour.

Froome did look better in the 3rd week at Vuelta but that does not contradict the fact that he gets beat in the mountains in the 3rd week of the tour. Looking better getting into form is not the same as going into a tour in peak condition and struggling in the 3rd week which is what has happened to him at the tour.
Also if you remember the complete farce in tactics that occurred at the Vuelta with the other contenders behind Bertie. If they had rode together then Froome would have not made the podium.

and In response to dacooley

How much time did Froome lose to Quintana in the last week of last years tour ?
He cannot afford to go into the last week with just a minute's lead.

I hope we can see Froome Bertie Aru etc all strong in the last week going mano v mano but Frooome will need to be better than he has ever been for that to happen.
I prefer we see the tour won with the strongest climber attacking and not won by hanging on to time gaps made before the mountains.
Most on this site know I am a big Bertie fan but I think Aru/Astana and their aggressive tactics will be to much for both Bertie and Froome come July.

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
ray j willings said:
Vasilis said:
ray j willings said:
Go check the stats.

Froome did look better in the 3rd week at Vuelta but that does not contradict the fact that he gets beat in the mountains in the 3rd week of the tour. Looking better getting into form is not the same as going into a tour in peak condition and struggling in the 3rd week which is what has happened to him at the tour.
Also if you remember the complete farce in tactics that occurred at the Vuelta with the other contenders behind Bertie. If they had rode together then Froome would have not made the podium.

I hope we can see Froome Bertie Aru etc all strong in the last week going mano v mano but Frooome will need to be better than he has ever been for that to happen.
I prefer we see the tour won with the strongest climber attacking and not won by hanging on to time gaps made before the mountains.
Most on this site know I am a big Bertie fan but I think Aru/Astana and their aggressive tactics will be to much for both Bertie and Froome come July.

I agree with the one minute lead thing, but two minutes might suffice though. The last week final climbs (and the whole stages) are clearly harder than in 2015 but there is the MTT with 7 flat km, 2 km descent, and only five km of climbing with slopes above 8% which should clearly play into Froome's favour when comparing to Quintana.
And Froome getting two minutes gap to Quintana in the first two weeks by considering the 37 km TT, the Liorian stage and the way how Froome rides these first two weeks, is not at all unplausible.
This analogy is not valid for Contador though. A top form Contador might be able to gain two minutes in the last week and might make some moves at some critical stage points which might have a big impact to all the other top guns as well.

ray j willings said:
Vasilis said:
ray j willings said:
Go check the stats.

He was actually better in the third week in 2012 (Vuelta) as well. I think with CF and any other GC contender it's a matter of timing their "Peak". You could easily say NQ has issues in the first week of GT's which lost him GTs. You also leave out the fact that tactics change when you have any kind of meaningful lead.

You could also argue the best tactic in a GT is to grab a lead on the 1st MTF and then defend.