• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 302 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
sir fly said:
cantpedal said:
after todays Paris Nice stage his year is looking a lot less complicated.
I can agree with this.
Froome's domestiques responded to Contador's accelerations with far less stress than one could expect considering the reputation.
No matter how Catalunya unfolds, another Froome - Quintana battle should be the highlight of July.

And they still got gapped on the one steep section.

To me it looked like Henao eased up to help Thomas

Red Rick said:
sir fly said:
cantpedal said:
after todays Paris Nice stage his year is looking a lot less complicated.
I can agree with this.
Froome's domestiques responded to Contador's accelerations with far less stress than one could expect considering the reputation.
No matter how Catalunya unfolds, another Froome - Quintana battle should be the highlight of July.

The thing is they werent stressed before the attacks began, thats all due to the climb and the way Majka was pulling. And they still got gapped on the one steep section. Froome will have the better team, but we already knew that

Henao was never gapped tbf (well apart from the last km after pulling the group up half the climb)

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Any thoughts on Froomes potential tour team. Procyclingstats have already half of the roster. 1-Froome 2 - Thomas - 3 Poels - 4 - Kwiatowski 5 - Nieve. I would imagine that Roche, Stannard, Rowe and maybe Henao as an explosive option to cause a bit of damage in the mountains would make up the team although Kennaugh may be there or there abouts even though he didnt have the best time last year and perhaps Intauxti if he doesnt recover on time to do the Giro.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re:

damian13ster said:
Wasnt Landa supposed to ride as well?
My bet would be on
Froome- Thomas- Poels- Landa- Henao- Kwiatkowski- Roche -Stannard- Rowe.

Can't really see a stronger combo than that at the moment. Maybe Kennaugh or Nieve instead of Roche
Let's wait and see how Landa recovers.

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Re:

damian13ster said:
My bet would be on

Can't really see a stronger combo than that at the moment. Maybe Kennaugh or Nieve instead of Roche

You know what's scary is that potentially Thomas, Poels, Landa, Henao and maybe Kwiatkowski could be there when the group is reduced to 15. Now that's just not good for this sport, plus Roche, Nieve and Rowe can be there on a given day. Sure by week 3 they'll not all be there but that is a ridiculous talent pool. Even a Contador attack like Sunday would be pulled back. The only way to beat that Sky line up is to form alliances with rivals and then slugging it out later in the Tour. Froome can be beat in week 3 but it's that superb train that needs smashing to bit day in day out by spectacular and vicious attacks. The Tour needs it.

Campervan man said:
damian13ster said:
My bet would be on

You know what's scary is that potentially Thomas, Poels, Landa, Henao and maybe Kwiatkowski could be there when the group is reduced to 15. Now that's just not good for this sport, plus Roche, Nieve and Rowe can be there on a given day. Sure by week 3 they'll not all be there but that is a ridiculous talent pool. Even a Contador attack like Sunday would be pulled back. The only way to beat that Sky line up is to form alliances with rivals and then slugging it out later in the Tour. Froome can be beat in week 3 but it's that superb train that needs smashing to bit day in day out by spectacular and vicious attacks. The Tour needs it.

Well, it is very much a roster that makes any kind of long range attack (that has a downhill or a flat part in between mountains) pointless.
But that scenario will only be required if Froome has a comfortable lead entering the second part of the race, which is not a given.

Opponents need to smarten up and peak early in 2nd week, get a lead, and then fade slightly (so basically use Froome's model). If they peak for 3rd week, the train will bring them back, and all they will be able to gain is couple of seconds with last km attack

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Campervan man said:
damian13ster said:
My bet would be on

Well, come the first MTF at the Tour, we can assume Contador and Froome are roughly the same in GC. So AC can perfectly just wait for him to make the first attack and follow him. And if he has the form, counter him. I don't see why AC would attack first against the whole Sky train if he's well positioned in GC for example.

Can I make a non-facetious suggestion? How about people who want to discuss Sky's lineup for race X or race Y make a thread dedicated to doing so? I don't happen to mind it, but other people freak out when it's done in a thread whose purpose is not Sky's teamsheet.

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Re:

TMP402 said:
Can I make a non-facetious suggestion? How about people who want to discuss Sky's lineup for race X or race Y make a thread dedicated to doing so? I don't happen to mind it, but other people freak out when it's done in a thread whose purpose is not Sky's teamsheet.

Yeah cool but personally Chris Froomes teammates wether he is at Sky or another team is a valid talking point in him his future races and tactics. There's way too many threads as it is for me. He is leader he is in charge of that wealth of talent. What would be normal things to discuss if not his races or teams?

Re:

hayzer114 said:
Any thoughts on Froomes potential tour team. Procyclingstats have already half of the roster. 1-Froome 2 - Thomas - 3 Poels - 4 - Kwiatowski 5 - Nieve.

Maybe Nieve is ill like other Spanish cyclists, but he looked pretty poor at P-N. Yes, he was in the group of the final 25 or so but he was struggling at the back.

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site

BlurryVII said:
Campervan man said:
damian13ster said:
My bet would be on

Well, come the first MTF at the Tour, we can assume Contador and Froome are roughly the same in GC. So AC can perfectly just wait for him to make the first attack and follow him. And if he has the form, counter him. I don't see why AC would attack first against the whole Sky train if he's well positioned in GC for example.
Problem is in the history of the tdf no one has beat froome on the first mountain stage. In 13 and 15 when he was team leader he put more than 1 minute into every one except froome. I would be hugely surprised to see Alberto within 1 min of froome after the Pyrenees. Plus the tt were he will lose another 2 min and we are looking at a 3-5 min deficit to make up. Against a team like sky that's impossible if froome finishes the tt with +2 min advantage the tour is as good as over.

Re:

hayzer114 said:
Any thoughts on Froomes potential tour team. Procyclingstats have already half of the roster. 1-Froome 2 - Thomas - 3 Poels - 4 - Kwiatowski 5 - Nieve. I would imagine that Roche, Stannard, Rowe and maybe Henao as an explosive option to cause a bit of damage in the mountains would make up the team although Kennaugh may be there or there abouts even though he didnt have the best time last year and perhaps Intauxti if he doesnt recover on time to do the Giro.

Froome, Thomas, Poels, Nieve, Kennaugh, Roche, Kwiatkowski, Stannard, Rowe. More or less. Maybe Intxausti(he will skip the Giro) in and Nieve out(to replace Intxausti in Giro). Or maybe Henao will ride this.
I think Thomas will be a liability to Froome. He isn't as good as Porte was. In fact, I think he's worse than other domestiques like Majka. Or he isn't at the level of Valverde and Nibali(second bests in theirs teams). Poels is inconsistent.

pink_jersey said:
hayzer114 said:

Froome, Thomas, Poels, Nieve, Kennaugh, Roche, Kwiatkowski, Stannard, Rowe. More or less. Maybe Intxausti(he will skip the Giro) in and Nieve out(to replace Intxausti in Giro). Or maybe Henao will ride this.
I think Thomas will be a liability to Froome. He isn't as good as Porte was. In fact, I think he's worse than other domestiques like Majka. Or he isn't at the level of Valverde and Nibali(second bests in theirs teams). Poels is inconsistent.

wat

pink_jersey said:
hayzer114 said:

This Thomas is more consistent than Porte ever was. Maybe he isn't as good a climber in high mountains, but he has a very strong engine. Nibali is not second best on his team, yet.

TMP402 said:
hayzer114 said:
Any thoughts on Froomes potential tour team. Procyclingstats have already half of the roster. 1-Froome 2 - Thomas - 3 Poels - 4 - Kwiatowski 5 - Nieve.

Maybe Nieve is ill like other Spanish cyclists, but he looked pretty poor at P-N. Yes, he was in the group of the final 25 or so but he was struggling at the back.

Nieve pretty poor in nize...He i a man for the long and hard tage mountains or the end of a GT, so he did well, he i not the leader, you has always to protect your leader and pay that.

Brullnux said:
pink_jersey said:
hayzer114 said:

This Thomas is more consistent than Porte ever was. Maybe he isn't as good a climber in high mountains, but he has a very strong engine. Nibali is not second best on his team, yet.

Porte at the moment is stronger and more conistent. Porte came to Nice without big goals, he wasnt in big sharp.

Thomas is a very complete rider, for all kind of cycling especialities, but Porte is so far better for a big tour.

Brullnux said:
pink_jersey said:
hayzer114 said:

In general, of course he's not. But in Tour, Aru will be the leader.
Thomas isn't more consistent than Porte. Remember how bad he faded last year?

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Ramon Koran said:
BlurryVII said:
Campervan man said:
damian13ster said:
My bet would be on

Problem is in the history of the tdf no one has beat froome on the first mountain stage. In 13 and 15 when he was team leader he put more than 1 minute into every one except froome. I would be hugely surprised to see Alberto within 1 min of froome after the Pyrenees. Plus the tt were he will lose another 2 min and we are looking at a 3-5 min deficit to make up. Against a team like sky that's impossible if froome finishes the tt with +2 min advantage the tour is as good as over.

Yeah, except that Contador won't have the Giro in his legs, and will most likely hit top form. Which is a whole other story from 15' and 13'.

pink_jersey said:
Brullnux said:
pink_jersey said:
hayzer114 said:

In general, of course he's not. But in Tour, Aru will be the leader.
Thomas isn't more consistent than Porte. Remember how bad he faded last year?

I guess, but he was very good from stage 1 - 17, then he crashed on 16 which probably didn't do him any good. Porte has never strung three mountain stages together. I don't think Thomas is as good at climbing as LRP but he has a huge engine and Froome still has Poels if he does badly. Thomas will be more widely used this year, too.

And I misunderstood the Nibali bit :)

TRENDING THREADS