• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 301 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

Taxus4a said:
dacooley said:
that's more about froome's shape in a particular stage of the race than profile of the stage, had the 1st mtf been a multimountain stage in 2013 or 2015, i'd wager he could've destroyed the field as he really did and i don't think he would've done alpe d'huez much better if that was a mont ventoux esque stage

Yes, but it is going always to be a fact between pure climbers and complete riders, and it is that the more mountain stages done before, the hardest climbs has the stage and the less flat sections has the stage, the best for pure climbers (pure climbers with the quality and recovery for 3 weaks as Quintana, I mean).

With Froome weather is another factor, but he is similar than Quintana in that. Contador is good in all the weather, but respet Froome better rain and bad weather.
perhaps you are right to some degree but from my perspective it's kind of a tendency to analyze all the things and find a certain systematics at anything rider do. each of froome and bertie has both brilliant and weak showings both in hot weather and in the rain. it's all about what physical condition you are currently in.

dacooley said:
Taxus4a said:
dacooley said:
that's more about froome's shape in a particular stage of the race than profile of the stage, had the 1st mtf been a multimountain stage in 2013 or 2015, i'd wager he could've destroyed the field as he really did and i don't think he would've done alpe d'huez much better if that was a mont ventoux esque stage

Yes, but it is going always to be a fact between pure climbers and complete riders, and it is that the more mountain stages done before, the hardest climbs has the stage and the less flat sections has the stage, the best for pure climbers (pure climbers with the quality and recovery for 3 weaks as Quintana, I mean).

With Froome weather is another factor, but he is similar than Quintana in that. Contador is good in all the weather, but respet Froome better rain and bad weather.
perhaps you are right to some degree but from my perspective it's kind of a tendency to analyze all the things and find a certain systematics at anything rider do. each of froome and bertie has both brilliant and weak showings both in hot weather and in the rain. it's all about what physical condition you are currently in.

for what it's worth he's said publicly several times that the longer more brutal the stage is, the more he likes it. He believes it takes the explosiveness away from the others. It rings true to me (that these are his beliefs) because lately he just seems to ride his own pace. He'll let the others go up the road knowing / hoping he will drag them back.

dacooley said:
Taxus4a said:
dacooley said:

Lot of factors get into, but rain is always going to be worse for Froome than hot. That doenst mean Froome can not win in the rain.

cantpedal said:
dacooley said:
Taxus4a said:
dacooley said:

for what it's worth he's said publicly several times that the longer more brutal the stage is, the more he likes it. He believes it takes the explosiveness away from the others. It rings true to me (that these are his beliefs) because lately he just seems to ride his own pace. He'll let the others go up the road knowing / hoping he will drag them back.

I follow Froome since 2008 and he has always has said that and showed that. You have the best example at 2015 Vuelta a Andalucia.

If the stage has been short he take a time to warm up his body, so sometimes he looks like he drop in a climb at the begining, but once he warmed up he is powerfull. In Andalucia the first mountain stage wanst long, Basso did a great job for Contador, Nieve puntured an Contador attacked strong from the begining, at the end Froome was faster but Contador took previoulsly an important distance. In the last mountain stage the stage was long and hilly and the pace was high, people was tired at the end and Froome didnt need to warm up, so in slopes were to suck wheels is usseles, he could drop Contador early and take a big difference. The finish was bad for him (except the factor nobody can suck wheel in 20 % slopes), but the stage was good, en at the end of a stage the result shows more the kind of stage than just the kind of finish.

the other thing to factor in is the Tactics Sky employ. they know they have strong teams and tend to attack on the first true MTF get a good lead and force other teams to try and attack. It's worked very well for them Since 2012 and teams still haven't found a reliable way to deal with them and Froome

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

Taxus4a said:
cantpedal said:
the other thing to factor in is the Tactics Sky employ. they know they have strong teams and tend to attack on the first true MTF get a good lead and force other teams to try and attack. It's worked very well for them Since 2012 and teams still haven't found a reliable way to deal with them and Froome

Very agree. :)

I already point about that the page before.

well some team (hint: tinkoff, movistar, astana) should have figured this out. They need to attack on the first mountain. Froome has been winning his 2 TDFs by crushing everyone on the first mountain. So no more having form of 90% and rode it to full. Because clearly twice already Froomey and sky detonated the peloton on the very first real mountain stage.

Jelantik said:
Taxus4a said:
cantpedal said:

well some team (hint: tinkoff, movistar, astana) should have figured this out. They need to attack on the first mountain. Froome has been winning his 2 TDFs by crushing everyone on the first mountain. So no more having form of 90% and rode it to full. Because clearly twice already Froomey and sky detonated the peloton on the very first real mountain stage.

Well, SKY is the best team, at least for GT, becouse the best is Movistar, if they do that the team will catch all them soon or later.

But at the same time to attack from the begining, at the end itis better for people with big endurance as Froome. With better teams is not a bad idea anyway, especially with rain. But teams know that, but no easy to have the right moment.

Taxus4a said:
Jelantik said:
Taxus4a said:
cantpedal said:

Well, SKY is the best team, at least for GT, becouse the best is Movistar, if they do that the team will catch all them soon or later.

But at the same time to attack from the begining, at the end itis better for people with big endurance as Froome. With better teams is not a bad idea anyway, especially with rain. But teams know that, but no easy to have the right moment.
movistar tried that last year on the La-Pierre St Martin stage and it blew up in there face

cantpedal said:
Taxus4a said:
Jelantik said:
Taxus4a said:
cantpedal said:

movistar tried that last year on the La-Pierre St Martin stage and it blew up in there face

Of course, if he has a powerfull team that is useless,an thomas that day was superb, and Frome as well, but in alp huez wanst that way, it was a short stage, really hard, with little flat and with the stage mountains behind, so quintana put time.., usually people demand Movistar to attack in crazy way from far, but they know how to optimize... Quintana was close in the overall but Froome was the stronger: Valverde was a good tactic piecem but Thomas, Porte, Poels,.... difficult to fight against that, if you attack from far you will be neutralized at the end. You can try a little to see the efect, they did, but no more...and yu can risk and you have a 5 % to succed and people would ay: Oh brave, but the rik to lose a second-third for Movistar wa higher than that 5 %,maybe 20%, and for them and sponsors the result was really good.

even in 2013 in the Bagnères-de-Bigorre satage they had him isolated and Moviestar and TS combine could not take advantage. you are correct they clearly cant come in hoping to peak for the third week thinking that will let them beat him. the problem is I don't know if they are capable of matching him early.

Re:

cantpedal said:
after todays Paris Nice stage his year is looking a lot less complicated.
I can agree with this.
Froome's domestiques responded to Contador's accelerations with far less stress than one could expect considering the reputation.
No matter how Catalunya unfolds, another Froome - Quintana battle should be the highlight of July.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

Jelantik said:

If the first MTF is __/, the only reliable way to beat Froome is to actually have more sustained power/weight than he does.

sir fly said:
cantpedal said:
I can agree with this.
Froome's domestiques responded to Contador's accelerations with far less stress than one could expect considering the reputation.
No matter how Catalunya unfolds, another Froome - Quintana battle should be the highlight of July.

The thing is they werent stressed before the attacks began, thats all due to the climb and the way Majka was pulling. And they still got gapped on the one steep section. Froome will have the better team, but we already knew that

Red Rick said:
sir fly said:
cantpedal said:
I can agree with this.

The thing is they werent stressed before the attacks began, thats all due to the climb and the way Majka was pulling. And they still got gapped on the one steep section. Froome will have the better team, but we already knew that
It's been a tricky climb. I wouldn't qualify it like anyone's advantage. Majka changed the dynamics of group, but Contador can't expect to have the upper hand in the battle of their lieutenants. Could become even more difficult if he finds himself behind one or two more leaders of strong teams before the decisive stages at the Tour.
It's a whole different ball game having to leapfrog one or several GC contenders.

sir fly said:
Red Rick said:
sir fly said:
cantpedal said:
I can agree with this.

It's been a tricky climb. I wouldn't qualify it like anyone's advantage. Majka changed the dynamics of group, but Contador can't expect to have the upper hand in the battle of their lieutenants. Could become even more difficult if he finds himself behind one or two more leaders of strong teams before the decisive stages at the Tour.
It's a whole different ball game having to leapfrog one or several GC contenders.
Their response was the typical SKY response. Stay within themselves and drag the attacker back then attack and make it count. The surprise was that they could do it with relative ease, and That AC doesn't seem to have that multi attack explosiveness

cantpedal said:
sir fly said:
Red Rick said:
sir fly said:
cantpedal said:
I can agree with this.

Their response was the typical SKY response. Stay within themselves and drag the attacker back then attack and make it count. The surprise was that they could do it with relative ease, and That AC doesn't seem to have that multi attack explosiveness

This was on a one mountain stage race though. Stage 20 of the TDF if COntador and Quintana go together, they wont be bridging back at all. In fact last year Froome only had Woet Poels for pretty much the last week doing anything of note.

TRENDING THREADS