Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 311 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Taxus4a said:
ferryman said:
Pricey_sky said:
Red Rick said:
Thanks Ferryman.

Then on topic, what's next for Froome? Usual Romandie-Dauphine-Tour?
Yes I believe that his schedule is Romandie, Dauphine, Tour, Olympics and possibly Vuelta if he is ok.
He really, really, really doesn't stand a chance in the Olympic road race...
He has similar chances than the rest of his rivals: Quintana, Contador, Valverde, Purito, Uran, Rui Costa,...
You've got to be kidding. With the exception of Nairo, you're talking about some of the best one day riders in the world. All have impressive one day results, even Nairo. And there will be smaller teams and Froome won't have his usual advantage of having the strongest team working for him, though they should be solid.

To say he has a similar chance to those guys is ridiculous.
 
Mar 14, 2016
3,093
1
0
Re: Re:

jaylew said:
Taxus4a said:
He has similar chances than the rest of his rivals: Quintana, Contador, Valverde, Purito, Uran, Rui Costa,...
You've got to be kidding. With the exception of Nairo, you're talking about some of the best one day riders in the world. All have impressive one day results, even Nairo. And there will be smaller teams and Froome won't have his usual advantage of having the strongest team working for him, though they should be solid.

To say he has a similar chance to those guys is ridiculous.
Apart from BalaVerde and Rui Costa, you're really overhyping these guys. Contador has only won a classic in his life, and none at all on the World Tour level. Purito is racing the year too many, and Urán is decent but certainly not among "the best one-day riders in the world".
 
A lot depends on how his Tour goes. If he has it comfortably in the bag and doesn't have to extend himself too much in the last week, he stands a solid chance of doing well in the Olympics in both disciplines.

But if he is pushed to the limit, let alone cracked, by his rivals in the TDF, then he would be better advised to skip Rio altogether.

Even in the first scenario it is more likely than not that there are some riders who will beat him in both, ITT and RR in Rio. Be it by virtue of strenght or smartness or both.
 
Re: Re:

ferryman said:
Pricey_sky said:
Red Rick said:
Thanks Ferryman.

Then on topic, what's next for Froome? Usual Romandie-Dauphine-Tour?
Yes I believe that his schedule is Romandie, Dauphine, Tour, Olympics and possibly Vuelta if he is ok.
He really, really, really doesn't stand a chance in the Olympic road race...
Wouldn't say he stands no chance. Is he the favourite even within the team? That's debatable if G and Kennaugh turn up in top form. But after last year's Tour, it's clear that Froome is decent on a descent, he's definitely got the best TTing ability on the flats, and he can make a good strong effort on hills. Can he do it repeatedly though? Does he have the experience required to time his attack well? I doubt it.
 
Aug 31, 2012
7,550
1
0
I guess we'll have to wait until Romandie to get an early indication where his time trialling is at. If it's back at 2012/2013 levels, and there is little reason it won't be, given that his sustained power seems undiminished, he can get a medal at the Olympics.

And devastate his rivals at the Tour without pulling an Ax3, PSM or Mont V, though it's likely he'll do that as well.
 
Re: Re:

CheckMyPecs said:
jaylew said:
Taxus4a said:
He has similar chances than the rest of his rivals: Quintana, Contador, Valverde, Purito, Uran, Rui Costa,...
You've got to be kidding. With the exception of Nairo, you're talking about some of the best one day riders in the world. All have impressive one day results, even Nairo. And there will be smaller teams and Froome won't have his usual advantage of having the strongest team working for him, though they should be solid.

To say he has a similar chance to those guys is ridiculous.
Apart from BalaVerde and Rui Costa, you're really overhyping these guys. Contador has only won a classic in his life, and none at all on the World Tour level. Purito is racing the year too many, and Urán is decent but certainly not among "the best one-day riders in the world".
Compare all of that with Froome's one day race record and you have no argument.
 
Aug 4, 2011
3,647
0
0
Re: Re:

buchanan said:
ray j willings said:
Taxus, saying Bertie sucked froomes wheel at the dauphine shows how little you know about bike riding. He.didn't suck wheels going up FE. He also was far to strong for froome at the vuelta and toyed with him in the last week. Froome tried his best but.lost to a much better rider. 2014 Bertie kicked froome as*. . Those are the facts just like Quintana kicked his a%% in the last week of the tour . And this year your boy won't even make the podium.
I wish I could bet you $10,000 that you are wrong. Would be the easiest money ever.
I bet you a cycling shirt then ....im good to go.
 
Aug 4, 2011
3,647
0
0
Re: Re:

Poursuivant said:
ray j willings said:
Taxus, saying Bertie sucked froomes wheel at the dauphine shows how little you know about bike riding. He.didn't suck wheels going up FE. He also was far to strong for froome at the vuelta and toyed with him in the last week. Froome tried his best but.lost to a much better rider. 2014 Bertie kicked froome as*. . Those are the facts just like Quintana kicked his a%% in the last week of the tour . And this year your boy won't even make the podium.
Was it you who said that last year too? I am sure you said Froome won't make the podium, you definitely said AC would beat him and when it was obvious that he wasn't strong enough last July, you changed approach to claim NQ would take yellow.

I think you are one of People in here who have invested in a rider emotionally (in this instance Contador), and because of this, you have a big problem with Froome I, since Froome has became the force he now is. That's great being a fan of someone, and Contador is a legend in the sport, but when it comes to hating Froome, I think some of you need to take a step back, and give your head a wobble. He is someone who always comes across well and Contador has the utmost respect for him, there's no doubt he will see Froome as the reference if there is no injuries between now and July.

So next time you feel the hate rising, just gently shake your head from side to side, and breathe, there is more important things in life kids :)

No . If Bertie had not raced the giro then Froome would have not made the podium. Bertie attacks would have finished Froome off. Unlike Quintana, Bertie is not scared to attack and Froome would have been wiped out trying to stop Berties attacks. Froome could not even hang to Thomas in the last week and a bit.
 
Re: Re:

ray j willings said:
Poursuivant said:
ray j willings said:
Taxus, saying Bertie sucked froomes wheel at the dauphine shows how little you know about bike riding. He.didn't suck wheels going up FE. He also was far to strong for froome at the vuelta and toyed with him in the last week. Froome tried his best but.lost to a much better rider. 2014 Bertie kicked froome as*. . Those are the facts just like Quintana kicked his a%% in the last week of the tour . And this year your boy won't even make the podium.
Was it you who said that last year too? I am sure you said Froome won't make the podium, you definitely said AC would beat him and when it was obvious that he wasn't strong enough last July, you changed approach to claim NQ would take yellow.

I think you are one of People in here who have invested in a rider emotionally (in this instance Contador), and because of this, you have a big problem with Froome I, since Froome has became the force he now is. That's great being a fan of someone, and Contador is a legend in the sport, but when it comes to hating Froome, I think some of you need to take a step back, and give your head a wobble. He is someone who always comes across well and Contador has the utmost respect for him, there's no doubt he will see Froome as the reference if there is no injuries between now and July.

So next time you feel the hate rising, just gently shake your head from side to side, and breathe, there is more important things in life kids :)

No . If Bertie had not raced the giro then Froome would have not made the podium. Bertie attacks would have finished Froome off. Unlike Quintana, Bertie is not scared to attack and Froome would have been wiped out trying to stop Berties attacks. Froome could not even hang to Thomas in the last week and a bit.
There is a contdor froome thread for your nonsense ray
 
Re:

WheelofGear said:


Froome will win stage 2, take the jersey and keep it to Paris. This is going to be easiest Tour win for him.
It is going to be a difficult Tour for Froome with that route and Quintana and a lot of riders there (Pinot showed very strong in CI). The weather will play a role.

In that stage: He has a powerfull team for that stage and he is very good on the flat terrain, so he will get that final climb more rested and likely best placfed than his rivals. I font think he will take the stage, but he could take some seconds with some rivals.

But he will be as well in disadvantage for the rest of le Tour with Quintana except the first ITT, a hilly one after the Pyrynees, so no big advantage. Last year we came from the flat to a first hard finish directly, so Froome took advantage on that. This year that transition is progressive. It will be very difficult for Froome to win this Tour, but he is still my favourite.
 
Re: Re:

CheckMyPecs said:
jaylew said:
Taxus4a said:
He has similar chances than the rest of his rivals: Quintana, Contador, Valverde, Purito, Uran, Rui Costa,...
You've got to be kidding. With the exception of Nairo, you're talking about some of the best one day riders in the world. All have impressive one day results, even Nairo. And there will be smaller teams and Froome won't have his usual advantage of having the strongest team working for him, though they should be solid.

To say he has a similar chance to those guys is ridiculous.
Apart from BalaVerde and Rui Costa, you're really overhyping these guys. Contador has only won a classic in his life, and none at all on the World Tour level. Purito is racing the year too many, and Urán is decent but certainly not among "the best one-day riders in the world".
Uran's got a damn good one-day resume, particularly considering he almost always focuses on the Giro and not the Ardennes.

He's won Quebec and finished 3rd, finished 3rd at Lombardia twice, 5th at Liège and got the silver at the Olympics. He also has good results at some smaller one days. Froome's one-day palmares is...?
 
Re: Re:

jaylew said:
CheckMyPecs said:
jaylew said:
Taxus4a said:
He has similar chances than the rest of his rivals: Quintana, Contador, Valverde, Purito, Uran, Rui Costa,...
You've got to be kidding. With the exception of Nairo, you're talking about some of the best one day riders in the world. All have impressive one day results, even Nairo. And there will be smaller teams and Froome won't have his usual advantage of having the strongest team working for him, though they should be solid.

To say he has a similar chance to those guys is ridiculous.
Apart from BalaVerde and Rui Costa, you're really overhyping these guys. Contador has only won a classic in his life, and none at all on the World Tour level. Purito is racing the year too many, and Urán is decent but certainly not among "the best one-day riders in the world".
Uran's got a damn good one-day resume, particularly considering he almost always focuses on the Giro and not the Ardennes.

He's won Quebec and finished 3rd, finished 3rd at Lombardia twice, 5th at Liège and got the silver at the Olympics. He also has good results at some smaller one days. Froome's one-day palmares is...?
Uran was also looking good for top 5 in the 2013 WC before his crash
 
Jul 4, 2015
658
0
0
Froome should definitely not lead gb at world's. They have Adam Yates who has proven on those types of races and very strong in August. It would be mistake to prioritize froome over him.
 
Jan 15, 2013
1,129
0
0
How about going into the Olympic Road Race with more than one plan, and try and save as many riders as possible for the finale and then decide to do based on the situation and who has the legs? Admittedly this might be alien territory for British Cycling.

Re: the Tour, I still think the overall hierarchy is
1. Froome
2. Quintana
3. Contador
4. Nibali/Aru

Froome has shown himself to be pretty adaptable over the last four years, I think it's hard to design a TdF parcours that puts him at a significant disadvantage. The multi mountain stages are there to try and eliminate the doms so the big guns can go head-to-head on the last climb, but the absence of a TTT this year means Sky can really stack the team with serious climbers.
 
Re:

Ramon Koran said:
Froome should definitely not lead gb at world's. They have Adam Yates who has proven on those types of races and very strong in August. It would be mistake to prioritize froome over him.
One Yates won't go to Rio, Froome, G and one of Rowe and Stannard are are apparently set to ride.
 
Re: Re:

MatParker117 said:
Ramon Koran said:
Froome should definitely not lead gb at world's. They have Adam Yates who has proven on those types of races and very strong in August. It would be mistake to prioritize froome over him.
One Yates won't go to Rio, Froome, G and one of Rowe and Stannard are are apparently set to ride.
Who would be the 5th rider then?

Are they going to "waste" a spot on Dowsett?
 
Re: Re:

roundabout said:
MatParker117 said:
Ramon Koran said:
Froome should definitely not lead gb at world's. They have Adam Yates who has proven on those types of races and very strong in August. It would be mistake to prioritize froome over him.
One Yates won't go to Rio, Froome, G and one of Rowe and Stannard are are apparently set to ride.
Who would be the 5th rider then?

Are they going to "waste" a spot on Dowsett?
Pete
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Professional Road Racing 68

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS