• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 310 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

Ramon Koran said:
ray j willings said:
Taxus4a said:
PremierAndrew said:
Who's trying to say Froome has a better palmares than Contador? People are arguing that Froome right now is better than Contador, and listing achievements from 9 years ago is completely irrelevant.

The AC thread is full of people complaining about discussion of CF and CF fans posting 5h!t in it, so it's only right that AC fans stay out of this one ;)

It is easy to say. Froome and Contador are both in his best phisical moment, and Froome is better when they are both in good shape and the parcours is complete, so there is no discussion.

At the end of his career Froome will have a very good palmarés as well, but with a rival of the level of Quintana, one of the best talented climbers in cycling history.

Rubbish. When both are in top shape froome may bit.just a bit stronger in the tt ,not much. Bertie is a much better climber and much stronger over 3 weeks. Froome also needs a strong team around him Bertie does not.
Your evaluation is pure fan boy. You really come out with make.believe nonsense.
Nothing recent suggest Contador is a better climber, and he seems to weeken in third week giro 2015.

Yes, but he was super strong in 2009

May 26, 2015
Visit site

rick james said:
blackmamba said:
Its no discussion even, like I wrote on my post above its like saying Kristoff is greater than Cancellara.

Take into account Froome and Contador hasnt gone head to head when even terms the closest we get is the vuelta 14 and the results there aswell speaks for themself even tho people gonne play the fanboy card the facts dont lie, sure they might hurt your feeling but still dont lie. :p Froome beating Contador in TDF 15 is the same as Kristoff winning flandern 15 over Cancellara pretty much (seeing he didnt even participate which is almost the same as Contador in TDF 15 since he did the Giro - TDF which everyone knows is impossible)
Should we ignore the recent history where The Dawg has spanked Contador twice at TDF? and you'll say Bertie wasn't in top shape, well its his job to be in top shape, maybe if he was more professional bertiewould have put up a better fight

Holy moly!

Shouldnt ignore nothing but if you cant understand why its not my responsebility to explain to you why. Try for a starter to google the giro - tour double and work your way from there champ. :rolleyes:

blackmamba said:
rick james said:
blackmamba said:
Its no discussion even, like I wrote on my post above its like saying Kristoff is greater than Cancellara.

Take into account Froome and Contador hasnt gone head to head when even terms the closest we get is the vuelta 14 and the results there aswell speaks for themself even tho people gonne play the fanboy card the facts dont lie, sure they might hurt your feeling but still dont lie. :p Froome beating Contador in TDF 15 is the same as Kristoff winning flandern 15 over Cancellara pretty much (seeing he didnt even participate which is almost the same as Contador in TDF 15 since he did the Giro - TDF which everyone knows is impossible)
Should we ignore the recent history where The Dawg has spanked Contador twice at TDF? and you'll say Bertie wasn't in top shape, well its his job to be in top shape, maybe if he was more professional bertiewould have put up a better fight

Holy moly!

Shouldnt ignore nothing but if you cant understand why its not my responsebility to explain to you why. Try for a starter to google the giro - tour double and work your way from there champ. :rolleyes:

Thats fine, good for him trying....

rick james said:
blackmamba said:

Couldn't the same argument be applied to the 2014 Froome and the 2014 Vuelta since the standing argument is that he wasn't in the same shape as previous seasons?

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Taxus, saying Bertie sucked froomes wheel at the dauphine shows how little you know about bike riding. He.didn't suck wheels going up FE. He also was far to strong for froome at the vuelta and toyed with him in the last week. Froome tried his best but.lost to a much better rider. 2014 Bertie kicked froome as*. . Those are the facts just like Quintana kicked his a%% in the last week of the tour . And this year your boy won't even make the podium.

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Re:

ray j willings said:
Taxus, saying Bertie sucked froomes wheel at the dauphine shows how little you know about bike riding. He.didn't suck wheels going up FE. He also was far to strong for froome at the vuelta and toyed with him in the last week. Froome tried his best but.lost to a much better rider. 2014 Bertie kicked froome as*. . Those are the facts just like Quintana kicked his a%% in the last week of the tour . And this year your boy won't even make the podium.

I wish I could bet you $10,000 that you are wrong. Would be the easiest money ever.

Re:

ray j willings said:

Was it you who said that last year too? I am sure you said Froome won't make the podium, you definitely said AC would beat him and when it was obvious that he wasn't strong enough last July, you changed approach to claim NQ would take yellow.

I think you are one of People in here who have invested in a rider emotionally (in this instance Contador), and because of this, you have a big problem with Froome I, since Froome has became the force he now is. That's great being a fan of someone, and Contador is a legend in the sport, but when it comes to hating Froome, I think some of you need to take a step back, and give your head a wobble. He is someone who always comes across well and Contador has the utmost respect for him, there's no doubt he will see Froome as the reference if there is no injuries between now and July.

So next time you feel the hate rising, just gently shake your head from side to side, and breathe, there is more important things in life kids :)

Taxus4a said:
PremierAndrew said:
Who's trying to say Froome has a better palmares than Contador? People are arguing that Froome right now is better than Contador, and listing achievements from 9 years ago is completely irrelevant.

The AC thread is full of people complaining about discussion of CF and CF fans posting 5h!t in it, so it's only right that AC fans stay out of this one ;)

It is easy to say. Froome and Contador are both in his best phisical moment, and Froome is better when they are both in good shape and the parcours is complete, so there is no discussion.

At the end of his career Froome will have a very good palmarés as well, but with a rival of the level of Quintana, one of the best talented climbers in cycling history.

Is Quintana really better than Schleck? Let alone the best talented climbers in cycling history.

People, this is the Froome thread, NOT the Contador v Froome thread which has recently been bumped to the first page. Make your posts on there if you've something to post on that. If I'm around, anymore C v F posts on here will be deleted without explanation and if I've got time, some will be moved. Cheers..

Re:

ray j willings said:

In that climb I put on the video You can count the seconds froome is counter attaling or attaking with the air in his face and with contador at his wheel,... I could do it and it will be an important time. The contrary is Zero seconds. Normally when a rier attack and his adversary is at his wheel he stop to try again later, becopuse other way your rival is in advantage and he will counterattack later.

Froome did that in Dauohine and Contador couldnt ever pass him at the end, that is a proff of the superiority of Froome that day.

In la Vuelta in Farrapona and in Ancares Froome did the same, but this time how is norrmal contadorr could counter attack,becuse there were at similar strengh. But in climb as la Camperona where sucking wheel is uselees Froome was stronger.

I try to be objetive always, other way how I know well Contador I would say he didnt want to go to the Tour without the Giro to people now ca say he was weaker becopuse the Giro. Contador said at the start he wanst so fresh than 2014, but he did he was ok and he will try to win. and he was at 10 minutes in GC, with an strong team that worked for him all the Tour placing him well him well always before the important ends and cover him fo the wind. Gesink, 1 minute worse, cant say the same.

But here I write objetively and reality is that we dont know the difference in le Tour with froome becouse Contador payed to ride le Giro.

As well is objetive to say that previosly Contador did the double, win il Giro, a very hard Giro, and later was always up there in le Tour, droping Andy at the end of le Tour in Gap. Later he fade in the queen stage... some `people would say he payed il Giro, other people would say he is no so strong in that kind of stages, long, with long climbs, with attacks from far,...and comtador finished 3rd the last ITT... must we think without Giro he would have beaten tony Martin that day?

I am not going to give my opinion, but there is an objetive fact that for Contador once not were an excuse to drop his main rival and to be there as his usual level from the begoning to the end.. except Pyrinnees, afected by an injury on his Knee, and one isolated stage, the hardest one.

Last year Tour Contador was always at a several level, losing time from the begining, in Huy, in the pyrinees, and at the alps.

Contador was at a place of Swizerland when he said he rested very well, even he didnt want to race spanish championship.

I could admit Contador could have won that Tour without Giro if he would have been close to Froome and Quintana, but he wanst. He finished 5th at not a big time becouse his team and the fact there was hard battle just in 2 or 3 stages.

For me, he is brave riding Tour this year, becouse now he can leave cycling and his fans use the arguments using here to argue he is better. Both him or Froome can get there with some problem that didnt allow us to see that. But I hope no, I hope to see a race with no excuses.

if Contador is at similar level than his rivals, he can use Quintana as an advantage, the same in la Vuelta Froome would have use Quintana as an advantage if he wouldnt crash.

But he need to be at a similar level, if he is like last year or a little better (what I think) it woudl be almost usseless what he try.

Taxus4a said:
ray j willings said:

In that climb I put on the video You can count the seconds froome is counter attaling or attaking with the air in his face and with contador at his wheel,... I could do it and it will be an important time. The contrary is Zero seconds. Normally when a rier attack and his adversary is at his wheel he stop to try again later, becopuse other way your rival is in advantage and he will counterattack later.

Froome did that in Dauohine and Contador couldnt ever pass him at the end, that is a proff of the superiority of Froome that day.

In la Vuelta in Farrapona and in Ancares Froome did the same, but this time how is norrmal contadorr could counter attack,becuse there were at similar strengh. But in climb as la Camperona where sucking wheel is uselees Froome was stronger.

I try to be objetive always, other way how I know well Contador I would say he didnt want to go to the Tour without the Giro to people now ca say he was weaker becopuse the Giro. Contador said at the start he wanst so fresh than 2014, but he did he was ok and he will try to win. and he was at 10 minutes in GC, with an strong team that worked for him all the Tour placing him well him well always before the important ends and cover him fo the wind. Gesink, 1 minute worse, cant say the same.

But here I write objetively and reality is that we dont know the difference in le Tour with froome becouse Contador payed to ride le Giro.

As well is objetive to say that previosly Contador did the double, win il Giro, a very hard Giro, and later was always up there in le Tour, droping Andy at the end of le Tour in Gap. Later he fade in the queen stage... some `people would say he payed il Giro, other people would say he is no so strong in that kind of stages, long, with long climbs, with attacks from far,...and comtador finished 3rd the last ITT... must we think without Giro he would have beaten tony Martin that day?

I am not going to give my opinion, but there is an objetive fact that for Contador once not were an excuse to drop his main rival and to be there as his usual level from the begoning to the end.. except Pyrinnees, afected by an injury on his Knee, and one isolated stage, the hardest one.

Last year Tour Contador was always at a several level, losing time from the begining, in Huy, in the pyrinees, and at the alps.

Contador was at a place of Swizerland when he said he rested very well, even he didnt want to race spanish championship.

I could admit Contador could have won that Tour without Giro if he would have been close to Froome and Quintana, but he wanst. He finished 5th at not a big time becouse his team and the fact there was hard battle just in 2 or 3 stages.

For me, he is brave riding Tour this year, becouse now he can leave cycling and his fans use the arguments using here to argue he is better. Both him or Froome can get there with some problem that didnt allow us to see that. But I hope no, I hope to see a race with no excuses.

if Contador is at similar level than his rivals, he can use Quintana as an advantage, the same in la Vuelta Froome would have use Quintana as an advantage if he wouldnt crash.

But he need to be at a similar level, if he is like last year or a little better (what I think) it woudl be almost usseless what he try.

You have the benefit of doubt given the length of your post. But please see above. Take it to the Froome v Contador thread. Cheers

ferryman said:
Pricey_sky said:
Red Rick said:
Thanks Ferryman.

Then on topic, what's next for Froome? Usual Romandie-Dauphine-Tour?

Yes I believe that his schedule is Romandie, Dauphine, Tour, Olympics and possibly Vuelta if he is ok.

He really, really, really doesn't stand a chance in the Olympic road race...

He has similar chances than the rest of his rivals: Quintana, Contador, Valverde, Purito, Uran, Rui Costa,...

Taxus4a said:
ferryman said:
Pricey_sky said:
Red Rick said:
Thanks Ferryman.

Yes I believe that his schedule is Romandie, Dauphine, Tour, Olympics and possibly Vuelta if he is ok.

He has similar chances than the rest of his rivals: Quintana, Contador, Valverde, Purito, Uran, Rui Costa,...

He really doesn't. If Spain get it together Valverde will win. Froome has Zero chance at this race. And I mean Zero.

Taxus4a said:
ferryman said:
Pricey_sky said:
Red Rick said:
Thanks Ferryman.

Costa and Valverde's chances have to be better than Froome's based simply on their records in one day races versus Froome's. That said, I would love to see him give Ardennes a try, just once...or twice.

Now if you're talking the itt then yes he has a chance.

The thing with Froome and the Ardennes isn't that Froome can't climb a hill fast. He's never even tested if he can recover from repeated efforts like that during a race. Also, the bunch is really hard to control, and you need to be in the right places in the right time in these classics, which means you need experience.

As for the TT, Froome hasn't had a mutant tt since 2013 now, but since he can come up with crazy tt's outta nowhere, it's anyones guess. Still think a well prepared Dumoulin should have the edge though

Re:

rick james said:
I'm not so sure about the ITT...the dawg hasn't put in a good ITT for a while now....I know it's a hilly route but he might still struggle

That's because he spent almost no time on the TT bike last year (his words) whereas already this season there have been several reports of him really ramping up his TT efforts, as you'd expect as he's targeting the TT. If he gets back to the level of a couple of seasons ago he has a great chance of adding to his London medal.

Froome said he will be taking part in both the RR too but probably in support of G.

ferryman said:
Pricey_sky said:
Red Rick said:
Thanks Ferryman.

The road race is the only event he can enter? I thought he won a medal in London for a different discipline? :p

TRENDING THREADS