• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 352 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

TMP402 said:
PremierAndrew said:
Never going to happen but I really wish that Froome would leave Sky. He's such an exciting rider but the dominance of sky just makes it boring. A weak climber but strong TTist like Dumoulin leading Sky would be a lot more interesting

Was Wiggins more interesting?

The 2012 route was really TT heavy, and the field was very weak climbing wise. I think that explains a lot.

If you remove Froome from the scenario and put a climber like Quintana or Contador against 2012 Wiggins on that route, I think the result would've been different. Nibali was weak.

It would be interesting to have Froome on a weaker team, he'd certainly light up quite a few stages. However this isn't going to happen, not for few years anyway. He's one of the strongest guys with a strong team around him for most terrain. He's also on a fair amount of money and he could pretty much name his price when it comes to sorting out a new contract.

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Pricey_sky said:
It would be interesting to have Froome on a weaker team, he'd certainly light up quite a few stages. However this isn't going to happen, not for few years anyway. He's one of the strongest guys with a strong team around him for most terrain. He's also on a fair amount of money and he could pretty much name his price when it comes to sorting out a new contract.

Interesting comment. I guess you mean "strongest" GC wise.

I'm not sure Froome is the strongest GC rider without his team, i guess that's what you're implying too? I think it's the whole package with Froome and a strong team that makes him look a notch better than he is.

And i don't think he just have strong team, I think his team is extraordinary.

rm7 said:
Pricey_sky said:

Interesting comment. I guess you mean "strongest" GC wise.

I'm not sure Froome is the strongest GC rider without his team, i guess that's what you're implying too? I think it's the whole package with Froome and a strong team that makes him look a notch better than he is.

And i don't think he just have strong team, I think his team is extraordinary.

Yes strongest GC guys, I doubt he's going to be smashing Paris-Roubaix anytime soon! In terms of climbing, TT'ing, descending, positioning, crosswind stages he's right up there.

I still believe he'd be one of the strongest even with a poor team, but obviously if he has a bad day or gets ill he will suffer as his team cant bail him out.

I agree with the comment about Sky too, they are extraordinary, I was being modest :D

The race is so far lost by others on a descent and in an ITT, not really won by the Sky Train. Everyone else has been behind the Sky train saving energy too remember and Froome hasn't really launched an uphill attack. Well, he has, but those he attacked all got the same time as Mollema anyway.

True. So far, the train hasn't helped Froome much. Smart racing did. And it makes this thread so relevant. Had Mollema alone crashed, I bet my avatar that the decision would have been different. What was an epic moment, the run, then the ride on my kid's tricycle with a 30X30 gear doesn't deserve highlights. The decision makes it irrelevant. It didn't happen. Too bad for Froome. Sky should have begged the jury to let the results stand and bring a lot of love, worldwide, for Christopher Froome. Even me, a notorious detractor, was in awe for the sheer determination, refuse to lose attitude. All that for nothing. I'm back rooting for the rest. Portal's whining shows that Sky's putting the win above the rider. They don't care about the manner. This answers the "Froome in a lesser team" point: it may happen. The second they get a new prospect, he'll be Wigginsed out. Sky is about Sky, not Froome, not loyalty.

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
@Tonton

Obviously someone will eventually take Froomes place, and he'll be - as you say - "Wigginsed out". That's just the nature of the sport. But for it to happen while Froome is still at the top of his game, they'll need someone who's even better than him. I just don't see that guy right now.

The "Froome in a lesser team" is obviously only really exciting while he's still in his peak years. If he can remain as a top contender in a few years at another team, but maybe slight below this level, it'll still be very exciting. I really think he could be a new fan favorite.

Re:

rm7 said:
@Tonton

Obviously someone will eventually take Froomes place, and he'll be - as you say - "Wigginsed out". That's just the nature of the sport. But for it to happen while Froome is still at the top of his game, they'll need someone who's even better than him. I just don't see that guy right now.

The "Froome in a lesser team" is obviously only really exciting while he's still in his peak years. If he can remain as a top contender in a few years at another team, but maybe slight below this level, it'll still be very exciting. I really think he could be a new fan favorite.
Yes, call me a bit naive, romantic, but I like legacy, defining moments,and Froome got that one stolen from him. It's like it didn't happen. It didn't happen. I don't see who either, but who saw Froome coming ;) ?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
13707663_1061031637284672_6718432542318821060_n.jpg

Lol.

Re:

samhocking said:
The race is so far lost by others on a descent and in an ITT, not really won by the Sky Train. Everyone else has been behind the Sky train saving energy too remember and Froome hasn't really launched an uphill attack. Well, he has, but those he attacked all got the same time as Mollema anyway.

Well there's only been one monoclimb MTF - the stages that really suit him - so far and it was neutered. Even then he gained time on Quintana et al and would have gained more if the motos knew how to drive. I presume he'll have another dig tomorrow.

vedrafjord said:
samhocking said:

Well there's only been one monoclimb MTF - the stages that really suit him - so far and it was neutered. Even then he gained time on Quintana et al and would have gained more if Richie Porte hadn't rear-ended the motorbike. I presume he'll have another dig tomorrow.

Sorry, couldn't resist a dig at Richie. Wasn't Froome's fault, though.

Re:

ray j willings said:
Some of the comments here about Froome and how he just has to turn up to win it :D
Its just crazy and verging on trolling in your own thread.
Froome would not have won last years tour but for a lucky wind split. He was struggling to hold onto Thomas's wheel in the last week and a half and Quintana was stronger in the mountains and should have won.
So how you Froome fans think he his a certain winner when he will have to cope with a focused Bertie a bonkers Astana and don't forget that "chap" :D who beat Froome at the Vuelta last year when he tried one of his crazy small ring attacks and a more determined Quintana ....
He has no chance. He will lose minutes in the last week against such strong opposition. He has never faced this kind of opposition in a tour. He did at the Vuelta and a injured Bertie kicked his as%

Dreaming is all you can do I'm afraid reality will bite hard this year

RayJ where are you?
maybe he'll crack on Saturday?
:p

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Did anyone see the start of the ITV4 highlights a few days back, where Gary Imlach said 'last Night Chris Froome had a fever-dream in which his Bike Broke and he had to run up Mont Ventoux , like a Stork in a Triathlon'

My daughters were laughing so hard I had to keep rewinding and re-playing it. It really was 'Le Mot Juste' for that footage. Funnier things may have happened on the Tour, but I can't remember seeing one happen to the man who looks certain now to win it, unless he gets eaten by wolves in the mountains or something.

pastronef said:
ray j willings said:
Some of the comments here about Froome and how he just has to turn up to win it :D
Froome would not have won last years tour but for a lucky wind split. He was struggling to hold onto Thomas's wheel in the last week and a half and Quintana was stronger in the mountains and should have won.
So how you Froome fans think he his a certain winner when he will have to cope with a focused Bertie a bonkers Astana and don't forget that "chap" :D who beat Froome at the Vuelta last year when he tried one of his crazy small ring attacks and a more determined Quintana ....
He has no chance. He will lose minutes in the last week against such strong opposition. He has never faced this kind of opposition in a tour. He did at the Vuelta and a injured Bertie kicked his as%

RayJ where are you?
Ray took three months off in early June, but I expect he is here in spirit. On his behalf I ought to point out that gloating is bad for you.

pastronef said:
ray j willings said:

RayJ where are you?
Where is ray j actually? I wager he'll quickly find a dozen of reasons why froome leading in the Tour is pretty much about nothing. :p

TRENDING THREADS