Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 350 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

movingtarget said:
Quintana's thinking does not seem to have changed much from last year. He is counting on being strong in the last week. Yesterday he looked mediocre and his two attacks were nothing. I think the TT will clear up a lot of uncertainties about form. The race of truth.
Froome is fantastic at learning from his mistakes and if he does peak in week three then Finhaut-Emosson could be where he ends it.
 
Maybe its been discussed before but just wanted to ask,
Did Froome actually try to fix his bike, (did porte not stop and put the chain on?)
If he didnt is it not possible for him to do that ie due to the mechanics of the bike?

I just cant fathom why his instict would be to run ? Then to lash his bike and continue to run? I mean it must have been a stressful situation.
 
Re:

Stilletto said:
Maybe its been discussed before but just wanted to ask,
Did Froome actually try to fix his bike, (did porte not stop and put the chain on?)
If he didnt is it not possible for him to do that ie due to the mechanics of the bike?

I just cant fathom why his instict would be to run ? Then to lash his bike and continue to run? I mean it must have been a stressful situation.
Seat stay was snapped, can't fix that without a welding torch.
 
Re: Re:

MatParker117 said:
Stilletto said:
Maybe its been discussed before but just wanted to ask,
Did Froome actually try to fix his bike, (did porte not stop and put the chain on?)
If he didnt is it not possible for him to do that ie due to the mechanics of the bike?

I just cant fathom why his instict would be to run ? Then to lash his bike and continue to run? I mean it must have been a stressful situation.
Seat stay was snapped, can't fix that without a welding torch.

Ahh thanks signor Parker, so no point in standing up pedalling the whole climb....
 
Mayo from Mayo said:
My original thought was that he ran because he panicked. However he may have decided/been ordered to get to an area where cars would be more able to stop to assist him.
He ran because he needed a bike and his team car and the Mavic neutral service car were too far back. So, he ran ahead waiting for either of them to come up. You see him gesturing to the Mavic bike asking where the Mavic car is and the guy on the bike seems to gesture back that it's right behind him.

Edit: I'm also going to say that if he remained in his place then there would be too many people around blocking the cars from coming up and the camera bikes would also be lingering around.
 
Jun 24, 2013
2,705
1
0
Savant12 said:
Mayo from Mayo said:
My original thought was that he ran because he panicked. However he may have decided/been ordered to get to an area where cars would be more able to stop to assist him.
He ran because he needed a bike and his team car and the Mavic neutral service car were too far back. So, he ran ahead waiting for either of them to come up. You see him gesturing to the Mavic bike asking where the Mavic car is and the guy on the bike seems to gesture back that it's right behind him.
Mavic car was only 15 seconds back. He should have just waited and took a new mavic bike.
 
Jul 15, 2016
29
28
2,630
Can't believe people are mocking Froome for what he did. All the training and sacrifices just to win this race - taking handfuls of seconds here and there in previous stages, just to see it all go down the drain in a crash he wasn't responsible for. Of course he panicked and mistakenly thought he could run the last 500m or so the finish line in his cycling shoes to try limit his losses. All those people and especially some English commentators laughing and saying he should be DQed really should be ashamed of themselves...
 
8472 said:
Can't believe people are mocking Froome for what he did. All the training and sacrifices just to win this race - taking handfuls of seconds here and there in previous stages, just to see it all go down the drain in a crash he wasn't responsible for. Of course he panicked and mistakenly thought he could run the last 500m or so the finish line in his cycling shoes to try limit his losses. All those people and especially some English commentators laughing and saying he should be DQed really should be ashamed of themselves...
since when most fans care about sacrifices being taken by riders? :eek: people ofter prefer to focus on whether they get entertainment or not.
 
Apr 4, 2010
2,420
0
0
8472 said:
Can't believe people are mocking Froome for what he did. All the training and sacrifices just to win this race - taking handfuls of seconds here and there in previous stages, just to see it all go down the drain in a crash he wasn't responsible for. Of course he panicked and mistakenly thought he could run the last 500m or so the finish line in his cycling shoes to try limit his losses. All those people and especially some English commentators laughing and saying he should be DQed really should be ashamed of themselves...
From what I have heard he did not want to stand still because of the tension in the crowd. Might not be the sole reason to him taking a jog up the mountain but I can understand it. Crowds can be pretty intimidating, especially for a rider like Froome.
 
Jul 15, 2016
29
28
2,630
[quote="dacooley
since when most fans care about sacrifices being taken by riders? :eek: people ofter prefer to focus on whether they get entertainment or not.[/quote]

True, but some respect where its due is to be expected, especially from some paid commentators.
 
8472 said:
[quote="dacooley
since when most fans care about sacrifices being taken by riders? :eek: people ofter prefer to focus on whether they get entertainment or not.
True, but some respect where its due is to be expected, especially from some paid commentators.[/quote]
well, ruthlessness to rider is the last thing to be surprised on this forum at least.
 
Nov 29, 2010
2,326
0
0
8472 said:
[quote="dacooley
since when most fans care about sacrifices being taken by riders? :eek: people ofter prefer to focus on whether they get entertainment or not.
True, but some respect where its due is to be expected, especially from some paid commentators.[/quote]

You talking about Vasseur and Jalabert? :lol:
 
8472 said:
Can't believe people are mocking Froome for what he did. All the training and sacrifices just to win this race - taking handfuls of seconds here and there in previous stages, just to see it all go down the drain in a crash he wasn't responsible for. Of course he panicked and mistakenly thought he could run the last 500m or so the finish line in his cycling shoes to try limit his losses. All those people and especially some English commentators laughing and saying he should be DQed really should be ashamed of themselves...
I'm sure people are doing it in a friendly manner. :)
 
Apr 4, 2010
2,420
0
0
Re:

Stilletto said:
Maybe its been discussed before but just wanted to ask,
Did Froome actually try to fix his bike, (did porte not stop and put the chain on?)
If he didnt is it not possible for him to do that ie due to the mechanics of the bike?

I just cant fathom why his instict would be to run ? Then to lash his bike and continue to run? I mean it must have been a stressful situation.
Froome's bike.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CnZiezTWEAA8EPW.jpg

Pretty sure he would have raced it if he could.
 
Jul 14, 2016
161
0
0
Age has affected Froome. Therefore he must attack as he does.

Age syndrome even more significantly next year.
 
Re:

SeriousSam said:
Froome continuing the rich Armstrongian tradition of being the best climber close to the best time trialler, with the best team
nice try. armstrong was not the only rider to do that.

being one of the best climbers AND TT-ers may indeed conceal clinical issues. But it is most definitely the traditional characteristic of a TDF winner, in fact it is a prerequisite:

merckx
hinault
indurain
lemond
fignon
ocana

etc...

the GTs are supposed to crown the best all-rounder.

not the best TT-er or climber.

though - traditionally - that all-rounder has been the better TT-er and worn the climbers out in the wind and on the flat so that he ends up being one of the strongest (if not THE strongest) in the mountains.

it has only been recently - as GTs have favored mountains and uphill finishes over TTs that this has strangely skewed towards climbers.

in 1979, hinault won a MTT by 3 minutes over his second...

best climber. best TT-er. by far.

and - if you hadn't noticed - froome was beaten SOUNDLY by the guy who is in fact the best TT-er in the TDF.

so froome is even less dominant than most of the riders I mention above.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Professional Road Racing 14
F Professional Road Racing 68

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS