• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 349 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Re:

ice&fire said:
CnVdNBRWAAEsGqD.jpg

So, now Tour is in the bag, he is already preparing for the Vuelta.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
On twitter, someone said that Froome's little jog up the road could have repercussions tomorrow. Cyclists don't really use those muscles, he could be sore. Seems absurd to me, but I'm not a bike rider myself.

Is there something to that?

Once again with the TT we will see the same situation as before. Quintana 2 mins down before 3rd week and most likely the same result as before. Quintana has been cracked and will need to regain strength. Unfortunately for him tomorrow is the TT. The race of truth, no hiding behind teammates or any wheel sucking.

Re:

SeriousSam said:
On twitter, someone said that Froome's little jog up the road could have repercussions tomorrow. Cyclists don't really use those muscles, he could be sore. Seems absurd to me, but I'm not a bike rider myself.

I doubt this will have any effect. I think that a person who has not ran a single meter for 5 years could run this distance and be okay next day. Froome is a much more fit and athletic person. He will be 100% tomorrow.

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:

There could be. Fitness is _very_ specific, and being good at one thing doesn't make you good at another.
Cycling puts very specific demands on posture, muscles, tendons etc, and a 100 yard sprint after a hard ride and a crash could easily strain something.

He looked fine coming over the line back on a Sky bike though.

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:

Depends on his upper-body strength, I guess.

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
Froome doesnt look very strong this year, dont get me wrong hes been by far the strongest so far but not beeing able to drop a guy like Mollema and distancing himself more from other riders such as Meintjes etc doesnt exactly strike me as this is Froome's best. Luckily for him Quintana seems totally out of and even more luckily for him Contador is not here duo to his crashes otherwice Froome would experience what he did last time they faced eachother mano a mano @ vuelta 14.

It just doesnt strike me now with Quintana out of shape that this field of competition can even touch Froome even so his not at his most impressive.

Like the way hes rode so far tho, besides Contador, Froome is actually the guy who is most agressive and attacks alot from all the GC riders and that has been not only the case here in this years TDF but in general so I definitely feel like the image many people have of him as this boring rider is exaggerated and unjustified.

Re:

geargbest said:
Froome doesnt look very strong this year, dont get me wrong hes been by far the strongest so far but not beeing able to drop a guy like Mollema and distancing himself more from other riders such as Meintjes etc doesnt exactly strike me as this is Froome's best. Luckily for him Quintana seems totally out of and even more luckily for him Contador is not here duo to his crashes otherwice Froome would experience what he did last time they faced eachother mano a mano @ vuelta 14.

It just doesnt strike me now with Quintana out of shape that this field of competition can even touch Froome even so his not at his most impressive.

Like the way hes rode so far tho, besides Contador, Froome is actually the guy who is most agressive and attacks alot from all the GC riders and that has been not only the case here in this years TDF but in general so I definitely feel like the image many people have of him as this boring rider is exaggerated and unjustified.

Very true, he's always attacked. Just one eyed fan boys/girls refuse to see it.

Re:

geargbest said:

I'm my opinion I think he's just doing enough when it comes to the mountains, he's taken a few risks on the descents and crosswinds to pick up time but I don't think we've seen everything he's got on a climb yet.

If he does want to save something back for the Olympics then I doubt he will give everything unless he has to, so far on this Tour he hasn't had too thanks to some negative riding from his main rivals.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
There's plenty of precedent for Froome and Porte being the #1 and #2 climber up some mountain, across races and years. Today, this was once again the case, except that Bauke was up there with them.

The appropriate inference is not that Froome and Porte regressed to Mollema levels, the appropriate inference is that Mollema was extraordinarily strong today. All the others, except Froome and Porte, were distanced 25 seconds and that would only have gone up to had they continued to the finish without crashing into a moto. A full climb to the top might even have seen the 1 min + gaps that are rare for MTFs.

My best guess as to where other riders would have been, had they not already exited the Tour: Back there with Aru and Yates.

Re:

geargbest said:

Look is not the same than to be.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:
There's plenty of precedent for Froome and Porte being the #1 and #2 climber up some mountain, across races and years. Today, this was once again the case, except that Bauke was up there with them.

The appropriate inference is not that Froome and Porte regressed to Mollema levels, the appropriate inference is that Mollema was extraordinarily strong today. All the others, except Froome and Porte, were distanced 25 seconds and that would only have gone up to had they continued to the finish without crashing into a moto. A full climb to the top might even have seen the 1 min + gaps that are rare for MTFs.

My best guess as to where other riders would have been, had they not already exited the Tour: Back there with Aru and Yates.

Nah, they were slow. Hamilton and Mayo rode the entire Mont Ventoux climb faster than Mollema did this shortened climb (more than 10 minutes difference). Contador would have led this race with 6 minutes by now. ;)

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
According to jen's website Mayo and Hamilton averaged a better pace for a longer climb, but no one else did. I'm not sure what the split in avg gradient is, but rather than being slow, it seems so uncannily quick that Tailwind or something else must have been at play

2016:15,0 km@7,6%---39:25---average speed 22.83 (Bauke Mollema)

1 2004: 55:51 Iban Mayo 23.10 km/h
2. 2004: 56:26 Tyler Hamilton 22.86 km/h
3. 1999: 56:50 Jonathan Vaughters 22.70 km/h

Re:

SeriousSam said:

You're not a bike rider? I'm disappointed :p . No, he'll be fine, the hammies will recover.

Having said that, Froome on his bike: a beast. On a neutral bike, I race him ;) .

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Pricey_sky said:
geargbest said:

I'm my opinion I think he's just doing enough when it comes to the mountains, he's taken a few risks on the descents and crosswinds to pick up time but I don't think we've seen everything he's got on a climb yet.

If he does want to save something back for the Olympics then I doubt he will give everything unless he has to, so far on this Tour he hasn't had too thanks to some negative riding from his main rivals.

Froome said he is delaying his peak so he'll be top form on week 3. So I'm holding my judgment of Froome's dominance. It's true that he hasn't looked like his previous year so far. But, if he does peak on week 3, Quintana can start training again for 2017 TDF. And stop playing with kiddy pool in Route de Sud and play w/ big boys in Dauphine.

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Wonder if the crash and even the run up Ventoux will affect Froome today. Listening tk the cycling podcast this morning and they rightly point out running will use different muscles especially in those shoes so he might be sore.

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
It's a question, I remember reading Wiggins' book where he said they try to avoid standing altogether. Running up a mountain in cycling shoes can't have been comfortable.