Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 410 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 14, 2017
130
0
1,680
My take on the Tour team:
100% certain:
Froome
Thomas
Henao
Rowe
Kwaitkowski (In Sestriere with Froome atm)

95%
Poels (depending on his performance in Route du Sud, if terrible they might select another mountain dom)
Nieve (Could pick Kennaugh, but besides his stage win in Dauphiné, he hasn't showed anything this season)
Landa (pretty much confirmed it himself)

Last spot between Stannard and Knees. I would pick Knees, been better all season, and also a better climber, which might be useful in rolling terrain.

I wouldn't even put Elissonde in the long list, hasn't shown anything this year that would lead to a consideration for a spot in the TdF team.

Kiryienka is the wildcard, if they believe they will need one more guy for the rolling stages, they might consider bringing him, instead of one of the climbers but I believe that Kwiato/Thomas will be able to fill that role.
 
Re:

CTQ said:
Kennaugh is still training with Chris Froome :
https://twitter.com/Varsfob/status/875334129168023555

It seems to me that someone has already written here that he wanted to be present at the birth of his next child, so no TDF for him. Or he wants to be fit for the nationals that take place on the Isle of Man perharps
I think he'll skip the birth of he can make the Tour team.
But I don't want him on the team. He's been like a bad luck charm for Froome. :lol:
 
Re: Re:

silvergrenade said:
I think he'll skip the birth of he can make the Tour team.
But I don't want him on the team. He's been like a bad luck charm for Froome. :lol:
Are you sure about that? Froome won both Tours that Kennaugh has ridden (2013 & 2015). He was also second in the two Vueltas they rode together.
 
Re: Re:

Parker said:
silvergrenade said:
I think he'll skip the birth of he can make the Tour team.
But I don't want him on the team. He's been like a bad luck charm for Froome. :lol:
Are you sure about that? Froome won both Tours that Kennaugh has ridden (2013 & 2015). He was also second in the two Vueltas they rode together.
Think so. He was good in 2013 but crashed when he probably was most needed. Didnt do anything in 2015 Tour. 2016 Vuelta where Formigal happened. Catalunya where Froome was 2nd on GC and again got caught out.
He feel that he's pretty unlucky to Froome. Maybe its just me. :lol:
 
Re: Re:

silvergrenade said:
Parker said:
silvergrenade said:
I think he'll skip the birth of he can make the Tour team.
But I don't want him on the team. He's been like a bad luck charm for Froome. :lol:
Are you sure about that? Froome won both Tours that Kennaugh has ridden (2013 & 2015). He was also second in the two Vueltas they rode together.
Think so. He was good in 2013 but crashed when he probably was most needed. Didnt do anything in 2015 Tour. 2016 Vuelta where Formigal happened. Catalunya where Froome was 2nd on GC and again got caught out.
He feel that he's pretty unlucky to Froome. Maybe its just me. :lol:
I is just you, I think.

In my opinion, they should definitely take Kennaugh
 
Re: Re:

Blanco said:
rick james said:
DNP-Old said:
Just confirmed his contract is going to be extended all the way to 2021. Bad deal for Sky if you ask me.
why is it a bad idea?
He's going down ;)
It's definitely interesting timing. I wonder if Froome knows something about his shape - perhaps that he's not quite right - and wanted to get the last big contract inked in before the Tour. It seems a bit strange to sign a contract when his stock is relatively low after a poor start to the year.


If he was really confident, you'd think he'd want to wait until after the Tour when his stock would be higher and he could demand more.
 
Nov 29, 2010
2,326
0
0
Even if he wins the Tour I doubt he could demand more since he already has a contract of a multiple TDF winner. He probably just re-signed on for the same salary he already has tbh.
 
Jul 14, 2015
708
0
0
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
It's definitely interesting timing. I wonder if Froome knows something about his shape - perhaps that he's not quite right - and wanted to get the last big contract inked in before the Tour. It seems a bit strange to sign a contract when his stock is relatively low after a poor start to the year.


If he was really confident, you'd think he'd want to wait until after the Tour when his stock would be higher and he could demand more.
Well Sky have all the data, too, if they are going to sign a three year extension now they must be feeling confident.

That said there are maybe 2, 3 teams that could even afford Froome, that doesn't really leave much leverage either way in contract negotiations. Doubt there was much change in this contract other than inflation adjustments and some bonus reshuffling.
 
Nov 29, 2010
2,326
0
0
The more I see the route I actually don't think it's that bad for Froome. I think his biggest weakness is when you have three or four hard mountain stages in a row since his day-to-day recovery doesn't seem to be on the level of Nibali/Quintana.

Instead this TDF the mountain stages are fairly spaced out and there is only a maximum of two hard stages in a row. Froome can put down his 30-40 minute single climb effort that he is the best in the world at without having to worry about cracking two days later. In fact this TDF can be raced pretty aggressively because of this, and maybe that was the idea?
 
Re: Re:

rick james said:
DNP-Old said:
Just confirmed his contract is going to be extended all the way to 2021. Bad deal for Sky if you ask me.
why is it a bad idea?
It's a bad deal to me because he is showing some big signs of declining. While that may not be a problem for now, I don't even want to know how far that decline has gone in two years. He could still win this years Tour de France, say what, he is my favorite until proven otherwise, but for the long haul it's not all sunshine and rainbows. By the time his contract is up, he will be 36, while his major production could be over in a year or two.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Professional Road Racing 14
F Professional Road Racing 68

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS