• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 478 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Ruby United said:
I like this article on the front page of BBC Sports about Froome. It is nice and refreshing to see a positive article about Froome and his great achievements in his career after all the hate I read on this site (though the article is admittedly very British-biased and does seem to undermine some of cycling's legends a bit).
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/41215172
Sorry but, hard to take that person seriously after this tweet:
https://twitter.com/tomfordyce/status/906792284527763456

Anyway, congrats to Froome and I appreciate his spirit of riding Vuelta for the win.

Ruby United said:
I like this article on the front page of BBC Sports about Froome. It is nice and refreshing to see a positive article about Froome and his great achievements in his career after all the hate I read on this site (though the article is admittedly very British-biased and does seem to undermine some of cycling's legends a bit).
From the same writer:

https://twitter.com/tomfordyce/status/906792284527763456

Edit: ninja'd :razz:

movingtarget said:
Brullnux said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
TMP402 said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Given his relative late breakthrough and less high profile youth, how long does Froome have at the top you think?

I think he could be good until even 37/38 years old.

I think he can be top level until 2020. I can't be bothered to find out what that is in age.
He is 32 now.

I think he can be good until 2023
His high mountain climbing isn't what it was two or three years ago. Neither this year nor last year. This Vuelta was won on the shorter uphill sprints (<5km) and the Tour on a wet tt and then a dry one against some pretty average time triallers. He hasn't crushed anyone since 2015. And I don't buy that "he doesn't need to" because that's not Froome's style - if he can destroy the competition in one blow, he will. For him, it makes the rest of the race so much easier. Quintana in good shape and few tt, or dumoulin with two good length time trials in the shape he was in this year, will best him. Maybe not next year but definitely by 2019.

Yeah I tend to agree with that summary. Hard to say what Nibali can produce next year but he definitely needs a better team. There will probably be one or two other riders that will also be a threat whether they can challenge after three weeks racing is another thing. Uran will try to duplicate his Tour effort but never looked like winning it.

Froome may not ever reach 2013/2015 shape ever again, but he doesn't need to be to consistently win Grand Tours. He lacks a serious Grand Tour competitor. Someone who, like him, can:
(a) Race consistently on all terrain over three weeks
(b) Time trial seriously well
(c) Climb seriously well.

Nibali has (a) but lacks too much of (b) and, recently, (c) to be considered a serious threat to Froome.
Pinot has (c) but lacks too much of (a) and occasionally (b) to be considered a serious threat to Froome.
Aru lacks a bit of all of the above - he is one level below Froome in each and thus is not considered a serious threat to Froome.
Bardet has (a) and (c) but seriously lacks (b)
Quintana certainly has (c) but occasionally lacks (a) and lacks (b)

The only two riders I see with a chance of beating Froome are:
Dumoulin - who has (b) and is rapidly improving in (a) and (c)
Landa - who has (c) and can hold his own in (b) but is still relatively unknown in (c)

Other than that, only if other up-and-coming riders, such as Lopez, develop in rounded GC riders, Froome merely needs to maintain his climbing level and continue to race conservatively as he has been since 2015.

I really doubt Zakarin can beat Froome unless the Tour throws some serious +200 km 3rd week mountain stages in the race. Its unfair to Zakarin, but to me he really seems like a lesser Froome in terms of his skillset and actually also awkward style. Much more likeable to me tho. :cool: Basically a Menchov-esque ceiling. But yeah, you never know.

I dont agree with putting Landa above Quintana at all.

I only think these 3 realistically can beat Froome. Right now, these riders are the 2nd tier.
Dumoulin
Quintana
Nibali

These can win if weird *** happens. 3rd tier:
Zakarin
Bardet
Aru
Pinot
Valverde
Landa
Chaves

Ruby United said:
Tom Fordyce is a terrible journalist. I have never once seen him write a piece of criticism against any Brit or anyone that is considered a fan favourite. He'll attack russians and fawn over bolt. Just read more of his articles if you enjoy this sort of cultist writing.

But I agree with the other post you made. Froome does lack proper rivals. I'd say though Nibali's main problem is an inability to do climbs under 3km, and then not being really good enough on the longer climbs, rather than being a bad time triallist, which he isn't by any stretch. However, another 2015 course and I'd back Quintana over him (assuming Quintana is in any sort of form). He has learnt from his mistakes back then and will attack more (he tried a couple of times this Giro too). Froome's team is an obvious advantage and that might be his greatest asset in future, if he regresses a bit. Landa seems to have improved wonderfully in his TT since he moved to sky, but it remains to be seen if he can match that at movistar. I agree with Valv.piti, except I'd raise Landa slightly as he remains an unknown factor.

Brullnux said:
Ruby United said:
Tom Fordyce is a terrible journalist. I have never once seen him write a piece of criticism against any Brit or anyone that is considered a fan favourite. He'll attack russians and fawn over bolt. Just read more of his articles if you enjoy this sort of cultist writing.

I agree. And I won't read more of his articles.
But my point was that it is nice to finally read a positive article about Froome. That is still true.

He went for a pizza afterwards:
DJYyi14W0AAGXce.jpg:large

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I really doubt Zakarin can beat Froome unless the Tour throws some serious +200 km 3rd week mountain stages in the race. Its unfair to Zakarin, but to me he really seems like a lesser Froome in terms of his skillset and actually also awkward style. Much more likeable to me tho. :cool: Basically a Menchov-esque ceiling. But yeah, you never know.

I only think these 3 realistically can beat Froome. Right now, these riders are the 2nd tier.
Dumoulin
Quintana
Nibali

These can win if weird **** happens. 3rd tier:
Zakarin
Bardet
Aru
Pinot
Valverde
Landa
Chaves

I fear you man crush on Valverde is clouding your judgement

Mar 22, 2017
Visit site
There is no way SKY would risk the TDF by running froome to win the Giro. Like it or not, the TDF is the worlds most watched and respected 'superbowl' of cycling. I prefer the vuelta for it's goolish suffering and constant possible GC scramble. But it will be an afterthought to SKY. Perhaps they will send some newer potential to GC in the Giro. Likethe Lance days, it's all about the TDF. $$$$$ Vuelta is a climbers TT race. I know the Giro is as well but risking the TDF will never yield theh top contenders planning around it to go for it in the Giro. JMHO

Re: Re:

del1962 said:
Valv.Piti said:

Dumoulin
Quintana
Nibali

Zakarin
Bardet
Aru
Pinot
Valverde
Landa
Chaves

He's the best rider out of those six easily!

Blanco said:
del1962 said:
Valv.Piti said:

Dumoulin
Quintana
Nibali

Zakarin
Bardet
Aru
Pinot
Valverde
Landa
Chaves

I agree. But not to win a GT.

Escarabajo said:
Blanco said:
del1962 said:
Valv.Piti said:

Dumoulin
Quintana
Nibali

Zakarin
Bardet
Aru
Pinot
Valverde
Landa
Chaves

I agree. But not to win a GT.

Not worse GT rider than any of them!

TRENDING THREADS