• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 550 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I can't see Froome winning this unless G cracks in the 3rd week, and even then he will have to somehow put time into Dumo. At the moment it doesn't look likely, unless Froome really is going to peak in the 3rd week and that will take some doing. I think the giro and 4 GTs in a row have caught up with him.
 
There isn't really many places to take time left. And in current form I'd have G and Froome equal in the tt. Interesting times. I bet Mrs Brad is set at home cackling maniacally right now
 
May 12, 2015
417
0
0
What are expectations for Froome on Mende? I'm under the impression that short, steep climbs are not his strong suit. Does he have any good performances on similar terrain?
 
Froome contrary to popular belief is good up the steep stuff like the Zoncolan and Angliru, but is the Mende in that category ? I don't think he has the stages left to get back all the time G has on him, and ITT will be close.
 
May 12, 2015
417
0
0
Re:

bigcog said:
Froome contrary to popular belief is good up the steep stuff like the Zoncolan and Angliru, but is the Mende in that category ? I don't think he has the stages left to get back all the time G has on him, and ITT will be close.
I said short and steep. The mende seems to favor a rider with a strong kick
 
Re: Re:

Amazinmets87 said:
bigcog said:
Froome contrary to popular belief is good up the steep stuff like the Zoncolan and Angliru, but is the Mende in that category ? I don't think he has the stages left to get back all the time G has on him, and ITT will be close.
I said short and steep. The mende seems to favor a rider with a strong kick
Fair enough. He seems to vary sometimes he is cr*p on such climbs but then he's been good in such climbs in the Vuelta.
 
Jun 30, 2010
124
0
8,830
Re:

Singer01 said:
There isn't really many places to take time left. And in current form I'd have G and Froome equal in the tt. Interesting times. I bet Mrs Brad is set at home cackling maniacally right now
Stage 17 is his only real opportunity. GT. would have to crack and lose a minute for Froome to get close enough to have a chance in the ITT. The stage one crash at 4kms looks to be his undoing. But Grats to G. He deserves some good luck. Froome will get number 5 next year.
 
Shaping up well for Froome:

Porte: crashed out
Uran: crashed out
Nibs: crashed out
Landa: crashed and hurting
Quintana: not nearly good enough

Who's left? His own teammate, who may have a decent time gap, but who has yet to prove he can ride at a high level for three weeks. And Dumo, who should be feeling the Giro in week three as much as Froome should. Normally the ITT would favor Dumo, certainly enough to gain the handful of seconds he trails by, but the climbs and descents take away his power advantage.
 
Re:

Merckx index said:
Shaping up well for Froome:

Porte: crashed out
Uran: crashed out
Nibs: crashed out
Landa: crashed and hurting
Quintana: not nearly good enough

Who's left? His own teammate, who may have a decent time gap, but who has yet to prove he can ride at a high level for three weeks. And Dumo, who should be feeling the Giro in week three as much as Froome should. Normally the ITT would favor Dumo, certainly enough to gain the handful of seconds he trails by, but the climbs and descents take away his power advantage.
Carnage is part of grand tour racing so is staying on the bike but anyone who thinks luck isn't involved is naive. Sky's time for some luck but Froome's crash could have also been much nastier. It's seems to be Dumoulin or no one now as Sky's main rival. Bardet's TT put's his ambitions on a leash and his climbing so far and usually isn't enough to make a big difference.
 
Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
Merckx index said:
Shaping up well for Froome:

Porte: crashed out
Uran: crashed out
Nibs: crashed out
Landa: crashed and hurting
Quintana: not nearly good enough

Who's left? His own teammate, who may have a decent time gap, but who has yet to prove he can ride at a high level for three weeks. And Dumo, who should be feeling the Giro in week three as much as Froome should. Normally the ITT would favor Dumo, certainly enough to gain the handful of seconds he trails by, but the climbs and descents take away his power advantage.
Carnage is part of grand tour racing so is staying on the bike but anyone who thinks luck isn't involved is naive. Sky's time for some luck but Froome's crash could have also been much nastier. It's seems to be Dumoulin or no one now as Sky's main rival. Bardet's TT put's his ambitions on a leash and his climbing so far and usually isn't enough to make a big difference.
No, it's only bad luck if your favourite crashes, if it's a rival it's poor bike handling.
 
I'm not too concerned yet. Thomas has some time on Froome, and Dumoulin is looking strong, but Froome has a lot more experience getting on GT podiums than either of them and they can drop 2,3 (or 10) minutes on almost any of the remaining race days if something goes wrong.

He does need time before the TT, but he's still on the right track for now imo.
 
Aug 20, 2017
1,102
0
0
There was so much hate against Chris, hidden wishes of bad luck at Alpe d'Huez, that I have one remark:
Please, don't wish anybody bad luck, it may turn against your favourite boy.
 
Re:

spalco said:
I'm not too concerned yet. Thomas has some time on Froome, and Dumoulin is looking strong, but Froome has a lot more experience getting on GT podiums than either of them and they can drop 2,3 (or 10) minutes on almost any of the remaining race days if something goes wrong.

He does need time before the TT, but he's still on the right track for now imo.
G. is stronger, slightly but stronger and I don't see how the dynamic can be switched. DB and Sky management are not too much concerned about who will eventually win Thomas or Froome, so it doesn't make sense to change a team hirarchy unless Thomas cracks.
 
dacooley said:
G. is stronger, slightly but stronger and I don't see how the dynamic can be switched. DB and Sky management are not too much concerned about who will eventually win Thomas or Froome, so it doesn't make sense to change a team hirarchy unless Thomas cracks.
Well, I don't give a *** about Sky or Thomas, I just want Froome to win. ;)
Anyway, sure, Thomas has to get support, but not 100% support. Brailsford would be foolish to sacrifice Froome, I think he's still the better bet.
 
Re:

spalco said:
dacooley said:
G. is stronger, slightly but stronger and I don't see how the dynamic can be switched. DB and Sky management are not too much concerned about who will eventually win Thomas or Froome, so it doesn't make sense to change a team hirarchy unless Thomas cracks.
Well, I don't give a **** about Sky or Thomas, I just want Froome to win. ;)
Anyway, sure, Thomas has to get support, but not 100% support. Brailsford would be foolish to sacrifice Froome, I think he's still the better bet.
Certainly, what Froome could pull off in the stage 19 of the Giro will make us believe in any miracles until the bitter end. :D :) But back then he had entire team at his disposal. What Sky are going to invent now, having Thomas at driving seat, is a great question. Otoh, if Froome doesn't start attackling like crazy, people won't understand him either. So it will be fun either way.
 
Re:

yaco said:
I suspected at the time that Dauphine would be a stronger form reference than the Suisse and that's the way it appears at the moment.
Most of the time it is because it's draws the better GC riders and it is usually also a better route to prepare for the Tour and they always preview one or two Tour stages.
 
Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
yaco said:
I suspected at the time that Dauphine would be a stronger form reference than the Suisse and that's the way it appears at the moment.
Most of the time it is because it's draws the better GC riders and it is usually also a better route to prepare for the Tour and they always preview one or two Tour stages.
Absolutely - Though this year the Suisse seemed to have better GC riders.
 
Re: Re:

yaco said:
movingtarget said:
yaco said:
I suspected at the time that Dauphine would be a stronger form reference than the Suisse and that's the way it appears at the moment.
Most of the time it is because it's draws the better GC riders and it is usually also a better route to prepare for the Tour and they always preview one or two Tour stages.
Absolutely - Though this year the Suisse seemed to have better GC riders.
Yeah the Giro drew a few of them out of the Dauphine.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS