• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 102 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Cimber said:
Was just trying to give him an excuse from having awful taste.

But besidde that I dont try to hide that I dislike many of the newer ignorant and history-less fans from the island, who root for Froome and sky as if it was a national soccer team. Is it fair? Probably not.

About tweets who arent talking about those fans? Of course. Just go look up my post history. Easier and faster than using a post to ask really.

We were all new fans once! New fans should be welcomed, otherwise when we're sitting in the retirement home there won't be much cycling on TV to pass the time.

It's still a long way to Paris but it is obvious that
Mr. Foome's technique is superior to Mr. Contador's
ghastly to look at and highly inefficient side-to-side
bobbing. Even Alberto's nose-strip cannot make up
for such a wasteful pedalling style.

oldcrank said:

Looking at Mr. Contador's stage racing pedigree I would say that his climbing technique has been proven to be efficient.

I would not say it is ghastly, many seem to be of the opinion that it is a very stylish climbing style.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
oldcrank said:

LaFlorecita said:
Looking at Mr. Contador's stage racing pedigree I would say that his climbing technique has been proven to be efficient.

I would not say it is ghastly, many seem to be of the opinion that it is a very stylish climbing style.

+1. When Mr. Contador does his attack, there's no way Mr. Froome can sit and spin his pedal anymore. He will be forced to stand up. Then, we shall see who's efficient :D

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I am beginning to wonder if Froome/Contador are pushing themselves to hard when matched up against one another. I don't think it will really matter because they are the only two guys that can realistically win the tour without Nairo or Wiggins in the tour but I can't remember many years where you could see two guys hammering it out right before the tour like this. I am actually hoping they continue to slug it out in the Dauphine and potentially peak too early opening the door for a more exciting TDF. This tour would be boring if it sets up like I expect...Froome enters the final time trial with a 15-20 second time gap and then adds about 30-60 seconds on the final TT

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
PosterBill said:
I am beginning to wonder if Froome/Contador are pushing themselves to hard when matched up against one another. I don't think it will really matter because they are the only two guys that can realistically win the tour without Nairo or Wiggins in the tour but I can't remember many years where you could see two guys hammering it out right before the tour like this. I am actually hoping they continue to slug it out in the Dauphine and potentially peak too early opening the door for a more exciting TDF. This tour would be boring if it sets up like I expect...Froome enters the final time trial with a 15-20 second time gap and then adds about 30-60 seconds on the final TT
Wiggins? oh come on.

According to his book, Froome did a 30 min max effort up the Madone a few days before the TdF2013, breaking Lance Armstrong's reported best time by 20s. He'll be just fine. He isn't peaking right now, he's slowly starting to build an uber peak for the Tour.

May 17, 2014
Visit site
SeriousSam said:
Wiggins? oh come on.

According to his book, Froome did a 30 min max effort up the Madone a few days before the TdF2013, breaking Lance Armstrong's reported best time by 20s. He'll be just fine. He isn't peaking right now, he's slowly starting to build an uber peak for the Tour.

Well, Froome looked close to his best today. What can he do more than what he did today? Sprint the whole climb till the finish? That attacks were hilarious. Sky should never be underestimated, but if Froome continues to go full genius so early, his 3rd week can be in jeopardy.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
PirazziAttacksVino said:
Well, Froome looked close to his best today. What can he do more than what he did today? Sprint the whole climb till the finish? That attacks were hilarious. Sky should never be underestimated, but if Froome continues to go full genius so early, his 3rd week can be in jeopardy.

We keep saying about froome going full genius. What does that mean anyway? He went full genius, but Contador is still glued to his wheel? So that means contador goes full genius too. no? Other wise, Froome should have been rode away from contador that easy with his full genius thingie that you talk about :D

I love this discussion about pedalling efficiency. It's seems like attack sitting in the saddle is an obvious thing. It's not, only a complete robot like Froome does that. Every other great climber from the past didn't do that. Froome is just weird, and please don't bring aerodynamics into this: if you're not comfortable enough to put the power in the pedals it doesn't matter how aerodynamic you are.

Jelantik said:
We keep saying about froome going full genius. What does that mean anyway? He went full genius, but Contador is still glued to his wheel? So that means contador goes full genius too. no? Other wise, Froome should have been rode away from contador that easy with his full genius thingie that you talk about :D

Indeed. Frome went crappy alien today. Full out genius alien will come in 4 weeks :p

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
trevim said:
I love this discussion about pedalling efficiency. It's seems like attack sitting in the saddle is an obvious thing. It's not, only a complete robot like Froome does that. Every other great climber from the past didn't do that. Froome is just weird, and please don't bring aerodynamics into this: if you're not comfortable enough to put the power in the pedals it doesn't matter how aerodynamic you are.

that's probably the reason why he got his back problem? :)

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
CycloAndy said:
We were all new fans once! New fans should be welcomed, otherwise when we're sitting in the retirement home there won't be much cycling on TV to pass the time.

Oh I agree. Its not that I dont like new fans per say, but its the mentality of those specifically. I know its probably not fair, but thats how I feel feel. I alwas loved that people had favorite riders from different teams and of different nationalities. Dont fancy the "football national team" paradigm

oldcrank said:

Froome in his recent run of dominance has not had anyone match his blistering attacks until now. Whether his seemingly unorthodox style is superior is a matter of opinion after today's display. I would think that being unable to dispatch a rival is something that he may find disconcerting and a minor blow to his confidence.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
PosterBill said:

I'm desperatly begging you to not put these 2 names in one sentence again,for my mental fitness,thank you very much:D:D

Jelantik said:

Full genius can mean a few things, and multiple people can be doing it at the same time. FR could mean just putting all the marbles in the one basket and attacking as hard as possible. And yes, Bert could go FR (e.g. bury himself) to stay in contact).

More often than not, FR is full on doping routine - see clinic for details. But obviously Froome could be charged to the ying-yang and so could Bertie :p

Jelantik said:

Here's where the term full genius comes from:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6WHBO_Qc-Q#t=23

It's used in a clincal way here.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Good point.

The giro's a nice race for young riders to show potential, but you can't assume they could win THE race just on the back of that.

To be fair, Quintana totally would have won the race in 2013 with a leashed Froome riding for him. :eek:

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:
Full genius is looking more and more a clinic term especially after Bertie and froome's TT yesterday and performances today.

Anyway it looks like we will be having some great battles between the pair over the next few weeks.

I don't think the original purpose of it was that of a clinic term. But it has indeed become too much of one. So let's drop it's use in the PRR section just like we would do with any other clinic terms.