• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 402 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.0%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 24.0%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

Lequack said:
silvergrenade said:
Thank God he's okay.
This is happening far too often to cyclists.

People who consider themselves as good people have no issues with cyclists actually dying. If you read the comments on some of the tragic news you can see that for yourself. So obviously nothing will change for the better if other people wish to kill us.

I wouldn't go as far as them 'wishing to kill us', but the aversion more and more people seem to have against cyclists is pretty worrisome, even in Flanders. Frustration is visibly building up and this will without a doubt lead to similar occurrences in the future.

May 24, 2015
Visit site
It's possible that he was already off the bike when it was run over rather than being knocked off the bike (lack of injuries might suggest this).
Also, I've not heard what the circumstances were that led up to this, antagonistic behavior on both sides perhaps? Seems pretty extreme for just an impatient driver (to be clear, I don't condone what happened, but suspect there is more to the story than what Chris has offered up)

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site

SafeBet said:
deValtos said:
Considering how destroyed that bike is it's pretty lucky he isn't hurt. As someone from the UK I thought they were supposed be pretty tolerant of cyclists in France & Italy ...
Lol you have no idea. Italy is nightmare for cyclists.

Luckily Froome is ok!

Still the premise is silly, just (if) because they are more tolerant doesnt mean there aren't nut cases everywhere..what does the OP expect to there be zero accidents ever or what

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

Gloin22 said:
SafeBet said:
deValtos said:
Considering how destroyed that bike is it's pretty lucky he isn't hurt. As someone from the UK I thought they were supposed be pretty tolerant of cyclists in France & Italy ...
Lol you have no idea. Italy is nightmare for cyclists.

Luckily Froome is ok!

Still the premise is silly, just (if) because they are more tolerant doesnt mean there aren't nut cases everywhere..what does the OP expect to there be zero accidents ever or what

Yes that's exactly what I expected, that there are zero accidents. I am completely shocked that accidents exist in other countries. :surprised:

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Like others have said, the main thing is that he is safe.

My view has always been that everyone using the road whether you are a cyclist, motorcyclist, bus, truck, horse rider has a responsibility to keep themselves safe and also ensure that others reach where they are going to safely. To be fair the majority of road users probably feel the same.

However in the UK at least things have changed and there is an increasing 'militancy' amongst cyclists towards all non cyclists which is getting worse.

I will elaborate.

Years back when you joined a cycling club you were initiated in how to ride as a group safely. Tight two abreast where safe to do so in small groups so that a car driver coming up could easily overtake. By the same token you also got out of the road if you had stopped to fix a puncture and you didn't piss up peoples front fences and jump red lights. In short there was an etiquette that people followed, there would always be the odd one or two idiots but I stressed this was a minority. If a car driver put your life at risk you would stick up for yourself which is fair enough.

Cycling in the UK is so popular now that roads of a weekend are swamped with large groups, many of which don't ride in tightly packed groups, many of which are 2+ abreast across the road if not single file for a 2-300metres up a stretch of road (making it impossible for cars to pass). Add to this the proliferation of sportives (which dont require the same permissions/notifications) as for Road Races and you have a recipe for disaster. Lots of cyclists, have no regard for other road users and are a law unto themselves. As I have alluded the 'mood' has also changed. Many cyclists are not friendly and most I encounter on my weekend riders are arrogant tossers who feel that cos they are on a 10k Pinarello they are above anyone else (this despite the fact they cannot ride in a straight line and are too scared to enter a Road Race preferring the vanity of Sportives). A lot of them suffer from 'cycling tourettes' - a peculiar phenomenon (well documented in youtube videos) where they simply fly off the handle a the tiniest little affront to their cycling superiority.

And this is before you even mention major cities where cyclists routinely risk the lives of themselves and others while they break the law.

Don't get me wrong everyone deserves to be safe and two wrongs don't make a right but in the UK at least people need to get a context as to why temperatures on the roads between motorists and cyclists are reaching boiling point.

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
Re:

B_Ugli said:

My view has always been that everyone using the road whether you are a cyclist, motorcyclist, bus, truck, horse rider has a responsibility to keep themselves safe and also ensure that others reach where they are going to safely. To be fair the majority of road users probably feel the same.

However in the UK at least things have changed and there is an increasing 'militancy' amongst cyclists towards all non cyclists which is getting worse.

I will elaborate.

Years back when you joined a cycling club you were initiated in how to ride as a group safely. Tight two abreast where safe to do so in small groups so that a car driver coming up could easily overtake. By the same token you also got out of the road if you had stopped to fix a puncture and you didn't piss up peoples front fences and jump red lights. In short there was an etiquette that people followed, there would always be the odd one or two idiots but I stressed this was a minority. If a car driver put your life at risk you would stick up for yourself which is fair enough.

Cycling in the UK is so popular now that roads of a weekend are swamped with large groups, many of which don't ride in tightly packed groups, many of which are 2+ abreast across the road if not single file for a 2-300metres up a stretch of road (making it impossible for cars to pass). Add to this the proliferation of sportives (which dont require the same permissions/notifications) as for Road Races and you have a recipe for disaster. Lots of cyclists, have no regard for other road users and are a law unto themselves. As I have alluded the 'mood' has also changed. Many cyclists are not friendly and most I encounter on my weekend riders are arrogant tossers who feel that cos they are on a 10k Pinarello they are above anyone else (this despite the fact they cannot ride in a straight line and are too scared to enter a Road Race preferring the vanity of Sportives). A lot of them suffer from 'cycling tourettes' - a peculiar phenomenon (well documented in youtube videos) where they simply fly off the handle a the tiniest little affront to their cycling superiority.

And this is before you even mention major cities where cyclists routinely risk the lives of themselves and others while they break the law.

Don't get me wrong everyone deserves to be safe and two wrongs don't make a right but in the UK at least people need to get a context as to why temperatures on the roads between motorists and cyclists are reaching boiling point.

I disagree so much with nearly all you have said here. You have a cap-doffing attitude to car users.

The simple fact is there needs to be a shift in attitudes away from car culture, and that includes the mentality of drivers and the sense of entitlement they have been allowed to feel on the roads that we all pay for.

Yes, there might be a minority of riders whose riding is left than perfect, but then again you've a majority of drivers who break road laws all the time. When was the last time you broke a speed limit? The difference being that cyclists contribute 0% to the KSI statistics of 1700 deaths and 22,000 seriously injured but they make up a fair proportion of the victims.

It isn't just about casualties though. Car culture has destroyed communities (think about how rarely people walk out of their house further than where their car is parked), it has reduced large parts of public space in streets (car parking) it is a massive contributor to pollution leading to respiratory illness and premature death, it has lead to public space being rendered unusable as it ius too dangerous to stand around near roads, it has conbtributed to inactivity and obesity. etc etc etc.

And just part of the solution is encouraging cycling, which is difficult when motorists occupy such an overwhelmingly privileged position on the roads we all pay for.

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Tim B said:
It's possible that he was already off the bike when it was run over rather than being knocked off the bike (lack of injuries might suggest this).
Also, I've not heard what the circumstances were that led up to this, antagonistic behavior on both sides perhaps? Seems pretty extreme for just an impatient driver (to be clear, I don't condone what happened, but suspect there is more to the story than what Chris has offered up)

regardless what Chris F might have done prior (honestly, the "worst" thing I can imagine is him not willing to give way, which, as I suppose Mr. Froome riding close to the speed limit, is virtually nothing ....), there is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE in running down a bike rider or pedestrian with a car, period .....

hope they get the guy and punish him properly ....

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Re:

B_Ugli said:
(....)
I will elaborate.

(...)

I would agree with you in the first and the last sentence .... some cyclists in cities seem to be suicidal (not caring about red lights etc.), but those will rarely be sportives ....

other than that I completely disagree .... yes, it might be annoying if on a country road I cannot easily pass a cyclist or even worse a group of cyclist - so what? My journey might be 30sec or max. 1min longer - that's not something you should be risking the life or even the health of another person (regardless if that another is an arrogant tosser or not) - if I want to be on time somewhere, it would have been up to me to calculate in all potential eventualities and thus start the journey a few minutes earlier .... impatience and driving go as well as a series of pints and driving - i.e. not at all .... a driver should also always consider him driving in a machine potentially lethal for others and thus having the onus of special care for e.g. cyclists, pedestrians and other traffic participants weaker than him (resp. his car) ...

Just incredible to think that someone can get so angry or impatient that they mount a pavement to run over a bike. Dangerous world we live in.

On a side note, I've always found Monaco a strange place to live for pro cyclists. Obviously it has advantages like the tax system, good weather and climbs nearby. But the traffic getting around there and all along the coast is crazy, And the spoilt, rich types that live there aren't going to take too kindly by being held up by a few slow cyclists.

matt%20portal%2009052017-small.png

Re:

DFA123 said:
Just incredible to think that someone can get so angry or impatient that they mount a pavement to run over a bike. Dangerous world we live in.

On a side note, I've always found Monaco a strange place to live for pro cyclists. Obviously it has advantages like the tax system, good weather and climbs nearby. But the traffic getting around there and all along the coast is crazy, And the spoilt, rich types that live there aren't going to take too kindly by being held up by a few slow cyclists.

It's becoming all to common these days, I've had a couple of drivers purposely put me into the gutter and off the bike

TRENDING THREADS