• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 450 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.4%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 45 57.0%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.8%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

Blanco said:
Tonton said:
Pricey_sky said:
Red Rick said:
Lol, he had a day where Moscon blew up and le random Poels appears.

I think he will follow a similar pattern to previous Tours where Poels gets stronger as the race goes on. He will be a key many for Froome in the second half of the race.
Agree.

So far so good for Froome: he's in control.

He could be in problem on Xorret de Cati, something tells me that Contador is going to be stronger and stronger as the race progresses. He could drop him there...
nobody measures his effort so good as froome plus there's always yo-yo mode just in case. having 3 minutes on contador seems quite comfortable for him thus far.

dacooley said:
Blanco said:
Tonton said:
Pricey_sky said:
Red Rick said:

I think he will follow a similar pattern to previous Tours where Poels gets stronger as the race goes on. He will be a key many for Froome in the second half of the race.
Agree.

He could be in problem on Xorret de Cati, something tells me that Contador is going to be stronger and stronger as the race progresses. He could drop him there...
nobody measures his effort so good as froome plus there's always yo-yo mode just in case. having 3 minutes on contador seems quite comfortable for him thus far.
The yo-yo didn't work at Formigal... (the yo-yo also lost time to Quintana on Covadonga)
Though Froome will probably win since Contador won't gain back 3 minutes+the loss on ITT...

Blanco said:
The yo-yo didn't work at Formigal... (the yo-yo also lost time to Quintana on Covadonga)
Though Froome will probably win since Contador won't gain back 3 minutes+the loss on ITT...
formigals don't happen in every single grand tour which is a bit of a problem. of course, the yo-yoing often causes time losses, still it's quite an effective way to defend.

Blanco said:
Tonton said:
Pricey_sky said:
Red Rick said:

Agree.

Why do people think that Froome will fade, but Berto getting stronger? Berto has more racing miles this year + both did the Tour + Berto has had visible problems past 2 years with his stamina. I find this very one eyed and delusional.

bambino said:
Blanco said:
Tonton said:
Pricey_sky said:
Red Rick said:

Agree.

Why do people think that Froome will fade, but Berto getting stronger? Berto has more racing miles this year + both did the Tour + Berto has had visible problems past 2 years with his stamina. I find this very one eyed and delusional.

A good call: this is no more than a hope or a dream (at the moment)

Re:

Red Rick said:
Kelderman and Nibali are the main threats right now.
You really serious?
I can somewhat agree on Nibz, but I still think Froomey will have the most trouble with Chaves. Nibali is past his prime, there are still a few muritos left and the the oven that is Andalucía which Nibali isn't a fan off. The last weak is great for him, but he simply doesnt have any team so he will be incredibly outnumbered by Orica and Sky.

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
You really serious?
I can somewhat agree on Nibz, but I still think Froomey will have the most trouble with Chaves. Nibali is past his prime, there are still a few muritos left and the the oven that is Andalucía which Nibali isn't a fan off. The last weak is great for him, but he simply doesnt have any team so he will be incredibly outnumbered by Orica and Sky.
Pellizotti was in TVG group today, he may get better for the mountain stages.

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
He looks set for some more time gains to take him through the weekend, then on to pulverizing the opposition on stage 11. Frankly with the cast of young and aging characters surrounding him on the front rotating every other day, they are just going to fall away on that stage. God I love that profile.

Re:

hazaran said:
He looks set for some more time gains to take him through the weekend, then on to pulverizing the opposition on stage 11. Frankly with the cast of young and aging characters surrounding him on the front rotating every other day, they are just going to fall away on that stage. God I love that profile.

If Froome wants to chase down all breakaways, Sky will be all pooped out by stage 11.

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
You really serious?

There is a 42km time trial. Froome, Contador, Nibali and TJ will put between 1:30 and 3:00 into Chaves.

oldcrank said:
rick james said:
Safely home today
Another day, another stuffed animal for Kellan! :)
DID1We6WAAIGP3M.jpg:large

Climber123 said:
Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
You really serious?

There is a 42km time trial. Froome, Contador, Nibali and TJ will put between 1:30 and 3:00 into Chaves.

Yes, but still Chaves is main threat (the only, besides mechanical and illnesses problems).

Bot. Sky_Bot said:
Climber123 said:
Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
You really serious?

Yes, but still Chaves is main threat (the only, besides mechanical and illnesses problems).

Contador briefly got rid of Chaves on yesterdays climb, but for his sickness on the first road stage, day 2, he actually seems the closest to Froome's level, and also TT's way better than Esteban. We'll find out more over the next couple of days on the relative form of the GC folk, but if indeed Contador is the main rival he's also the one best equipped to undertake the sort of ambush required to get his 2 odd minutes back!

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
You really serious?
I'm mainly talking about Nibali's abilities in the arts of voodoo and Kelderman's uncanny skills in crashing into anyone at any time. Kelderman did have hand in Dumoulin's victory by sacrificing the integrity of his own bones to take out Landa and Thomas.

Inquitus said:
Bot. Sky_Bot said:
Climber123 said:
Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
You really serious?

Contador briefly got rid of Chaves on yesterdays climb, but for his sickness on the first road stage, day 2, he actually seems the closest to Froome's level, and also TT's way better than Esteban. We'll find out more over the next couple of days on the relative form of the GC folk, but if indeed Contador is the main rival he's also the one best equipped to undertake the sort of ambush required to get his 2 odd minutes back!

Obviously, we'll find out more just after 11th stage..

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Matteo. said:
Tomorrow he'll go for the stage. He is the strongest currently and needs to gain time.
Good for us

I'd say the same but I just had a look at the second (and third) week and holy ***. If I was in his form, I wouldn't bother with that tiny molehill tomorrow and save something for those longer climbs, more his thing anyway.

TRENDING THREADS