• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 451 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
In 2014, 15 and 16 he never quite felt in control, even though he was sometimes the virtual leader or he had a 50:50 chance of winning overall. This year just feels different somehow, it feels like he's finally in control and not a guest in someone else's house. Maybe it's just the jersey, or maybe it's his form.

Re:

rick james said:
Considering he followed wheels all of the tour and only had to attack once and here he has attacked whenever he could I'd say he is stronger here, but I guess we will never really know because he never really got punished at the tour
He does look stronger (perhaps only relatively) than in the Tour, as when he attacks he is able to drop people now. At least everyone but Contador. So that's a change from the stalemate that was the Tour

Re:

21082988_10155815014134873_5995733216813757636_o.jpg

Another strong performance from Froome and for me it's an advantage that Contador is also looking strong at this stage. Of course he needs to be very careful as we all know what Alberto can do, but with Nibali, Aru and co looking a level below, Froome does need someone who can stay with him against the group behind.

If Contador was also only at the level of the Nibali group it would lead to an even tougher task to stay away on finishes like this.

Re:

Pricey_sky said:
Another strong performance from Froome and for me it's an advantage that Contador is also looking strong at this stage. Of course he needs to be very careful as we all know what Alberto can do, but with Nibali, Aru and co looking a level below, Froome does need someone who can stay with him against the group behind.

If Contador was also only at the level of the Nibali group it would lead to an even tougher task to stay away on finishes like this.
Not really. Contador didnt pull

If he wins the Vuelta, I see no reason why he shouldn't try the irregular gland-slam. Would make sense from the perspective that he has his alluded Vuelta now and that he obviously is able to ride the 2nd GT at an extremely high level. It would also make quite the story and lets remember that Landa left. There is a definite opportunity when you consider all those factors - he should at least consider it.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
If he wins the Vuelta, I see no reason why he shouldn't try the irregular gland-slam. Would make sense from the perspective that he has his alluded Vuelta now and that he obviously is able to ride the 2nd GT at an extremely high level. It would also make quite the story and lets remember that Landa left. There is a definite opportunity when you consider all those factors - he should at least consider it.

4 GTs in a row, we saw how that worked out for Quintana.

Re: Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Valv.Piti said:

4 GTs in a row, we saw how that worked out for Quintana.
Yes that should be the reason why Froome is scared of doing that, but with his approach of not really going hard the rest of the year its doable. Quintana was at a very high level when he really didnt need to and Froome can win the Vuelta at 90%.

TRENDING THREADS