• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 459 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

bambino said:
70kmph said:

That actually looked potentially quite painful. He slided good few meters on his side and leg.

His leg also seemed to be a bit bleeding today:

122427_683423157.jpg

134749_20170901VUE015.jpg

151358_20170901VUE021.jpg

PremierAndrew said:
bambino said:
70kmph said:

That actually looked potentially quite painful. He slided good few meters on his side and leg.

Him sliding means more grazes and bleeding, but if he hadn't slid, there's fair chance he would have broken his collarbone

You can break your collarbone regardless. It only depends on the way you first hit the ground, nothing else.

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site

huge said:
You can break your collarbone regardless. It only depends on the way you first hit the ground, nothing else.

Well yes, in any crash you can break your collarbone, or your pinky. How insightful. Please now relate this to reality.

hazaran said:
huge said:

Well yes, in any crash you can break your collarbone, or your pinky. How insightful. Please now relate this to reality.

PremierAndrew said, quote, " if he hadn't slid, there's fair chance he would have broken his collarbone"

I 'm saying that there is no relation between the chance to break a collarbone and sliding after the crash, so the above statement is false.

Btw, due to his speed a rider that falls will always slide for some distance.

huge said:
hazaran said:
huge said:

PremierAndrew said, quote, " if he hadn't slid, there's fair chance he would have broken his collarbone"

I 'm saying that there is no relation between the chance to break a collarbone and sliding after the crash, so the above statement is false.

The longer you slide, the greater the amount of time over which the kinetic energy is dissipated. Force = Rate of change in momentum -> larger time to stop (sliding for longer) -> less force on body -> less chance of fractures. Simple physics :)

Yes, you always slide some distance, but the length/distance of the time depends on multiple factors, eg angle of fall, road surface, presence of precipitation etc

portugal11 said:
Pricey_sky said:
GraftPunk said:
Pricey_sky said:
Red Rick said:
If Froome was really bothered, he'd say he wasn't
If Froome wasn't really bothered, he'd say he wasn't

We know **** all except for foto's

Agree, tomorrow will be the test.

This. I have a feeling some of the others will put him to task just to check his condition.

Absolutely, and they have to try anyway. They can't just sit there and wait as Froome still has that 42k TT next week as a buffer. If Froome puts in a performance like last years Vuelta TT they will need a lot of time in the mountains.
Unfortunately they will all wait for contador (like always) to make his move and maybe katusha will follow him and help sky
This.

They all say "I will attack" but no one wants to be all-in. Except Contador, and probably for Katusha, my guess is Zakarin. He already got his top-5 at the Giro, now he wants more. I think that Froome will be OK tomorrow, but I sense big changes in the top-10. Bertie could climb a few spots if he doesn't blow himself up.

PremierAndrew said:
huge said:
hazaran said:
huge said:

The longer you slide, the greater the amount of time over which the kinetic energy is dissipated. Force = Rate of change in momentum -> larger time to stop (sliding for longer) -> less force on body -> less chance of fractures. Simple physics :)

Yes, you always slide some distance, but the length/distance of the time depends on multiple factors, eg angle of fall, road surface, presence of precipitation etc
i don't know about the physics side of it, nut personal memories come back...it hurts :) . And what may be a bigger impact is how it affects sleep, recuperation. If you have to find a new position in bed...yikes. And then you wake up in your normal position and it hurts...and you spend twenty minutes getting in a new position...we all know that. Not fun.

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site

PremierAndrew said:
huge said:
hazaran said:
huge said:

Trust me, you slide just as well with fractured bones as intact ones.

Yikes. When you think about it, NFL players and cycling pros are so under-paid...they put their body on the line every single day.

I don't want Dawg to lose due to injury. I want him beat fair and square. It won't happen. We are in the timr ehrn trams and riders will protect placings and what comes with it. Would the 3-8 chase Bertie when he attacks? Hell yes!

Froome is where he needs to be, has the best team. He's OK.

Aug 22, 2017
Visit site
Well, tick off another stage....the last real chance the rivals have of dethroning Froomie comes tomorrow I suppose. He's still 55s ahead and riding smart as are his teammates. I am really impressed with each of them. Today, Poels was incredible bridging the gap and coming back to Froomie. Go Sky!

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I think the crashes affected him a bit and he lost a few watts, Nibali was stronger for sure. However it could've been way worse. Good day for the froomester.

if these are the values ​​of the field, he just have to survive tomorrow. as I said, the wounds are superficial but it does not mean that you are 100%. I'm not sure he has given everything today, seeing how he and the Team have rode . they may save energy for sierra nevada

Re:

huge said:
Everyone is pretty sure that Froome will destroy everyone during Mon ITT... I'm not that sure. Quite the opposite actually... I think the margin will be way less than expected.

I think Froome will take 45-60s on Nibali, obviously a lot more to some of the weaker TT'ers. It depends if he puts in a TT like he did at the Vuelta last year, if anything I'd argue he is much stronger this year than last year.

Re:

Matteo. said:
if these are the values ​​of the field, he just have to survive tomorrow. as I said, the wounds are superficial but it does not mean that you are 100%. I'm not sure he has given everything today, seeing how he and the Team have rode . they may save energy for sierra nevada

I'm pretty sure he was giving everything when trying to keep the gap from VN and AC to a minimum and then getting back to them.

VN's move could have been potentially disastrous for him. There's nothing to keep back in a situation like that.

TRENDING THREADS