• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 562 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
LaFlorecita said:
Valv.Piti said:
LaFlorecita said:
Savant12 said:
All this talk about trains: a lot of the big GC stage winners had them. US Postal/Discovery, CSC/Saxo Bank, Astana etc.

I remember Contador's mountain goats train dropping riders consistently. Schleck had his train, too.

Even Movistar's "train" isolated Froome in a previous Tour and they couldn't drop him.
what? Please point out when Contador had an actual "train" instead of just one or two climbing domestiques pushing the pace. An occasion after 2009 please.
Dani Navarro and the rest of the team in 2010 was quite good, specifically over Madeleine, but also to Avoriaz when Schleck won and Contador had a pretty bad day.
Aye Dani was class that race, but it looks rather bland when compared to the Sky train and the way they neutralize any racing in the mountains.

Part neutralization, part poor tactics by other teams, part other GC riders are not good enough or just riding for position. Movistar with 3 team leaders haha and Kruijswijk not burying himself for Roglic.

Savant12 said:
LaFlorecita said:
Valv.Piti said:
LaFlorecita said:
Savant12 said:
All this talk about trains: a lot of the big GC stage winners had them. US Postal/Discovery, CSC/Saxo Bank, Astana etc.

I remember Contador's mountain goats train dropping riders consistently. Schleck had his train, too.

Even Movistar's "train" isolated Froome in a previous Tour and they couldn't drop him.
what? Please point out when Contador had an actual "train" instead of just one or two climbing domestiques pushing the pace. An occasion after 2009 please.
Dani Navarro and the rest of the team in 2010 was quite good, specifically over Madeleine, but also to Avoriaz when Schleck won and Contador had a pretty bad day.
Aye Dani was class that race, but it looks rather bland when compared to the Sky train and the way they neutralize any racing in the mountains.

Part neutralization, part poor tactics by other teams, part other GC riders are not good enough or just riding for position. Movistar with 3 team leaders haha and Kruijswijk not burying himself for Roglic.
Yes, every year there is a reason why Sky manage to completely strangle a race except them being the strongest team by far. :rolleyes:

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I never quite understand this business about climbing domestiques for Sky disadvantaging the others, as these others just wheel suck onto them as well. If there is no such wheel sucking advantage to be gained, then there is nothing stopping someone breaking away. Quintana did it in the Pyrenees and clearly, Thomas was able to do so whenever he chose. Froome tried, but again, equally clearly, had Giro legs, as did Dumoulin, by the way.

Re:

InterestedSpectator said:
I never quite understand this business about climbing domestiques for Sky disadvantaging the others, as these others just wheel suck onto them as well. If there is no such wheel sucking advantage to be gained, then there is nothing stopping someone breaking away. Quintana did it in the Pyrenees and clearly, Thomas was able to do so whenever he chose. Froome tried, but again, equally clearly, had Giro legs, as did Dumoulin, by the way.

This exactly.

the 2 top tier GC riders had a brutal Giro in their legs and still managed to hold onto the Sky train and podium. Bardet, Landa, Quintana and the rest all missed, for a multitude of reasons a golden opportunity.

It would be awsome to see him in the rainbow jersey next year, winning his 5th tour. Although the forum would probably melt. But I'm not sure he's explosive enough anymore, if say Simon Yates can find his Giro form he could be a serious contender. Roglic, Dan Martin, Balaphilipe, Nibali and so many others. I'm too hyped, I'll try to find a relevant thread:p

Re:

Oude Geuze said:
It would be awsome to see him in the rainbow jersey next year, winning his 5th tour. Although the forum would probably melt. But I'm not sure he's explosive enough anymore, if say Simon Yates can find his Giro form he could be a serious contender. Roglic, Dan Martin, Balaphilipe, Nibali and so many others. I'm too hyped, I'll try to find a relevant thread:p

Froome has never shown much in one day racing. It’s hard to picture him in the rainbow jersey.

Re:

Oude Geuze said:
Will CF target the worlds at Innsbruck? I'm really looking forward to the battle this year, so many options and strong riders that could take it.
I think he'd be more interested in the TT, which he may be favourite for, rather than the Road Race where Simon Yates and Geraint Thomas have superior credentials for GB.

Re: Re:

Parker said:
Oude Geuze said:
Will CF target the worlds at Innsbruck? I'm really looking forward to the battle this year, so many options and strong riders that could take it.
I think he'd be more interested in the TT, which he may be favourite for, rather than the Road Race where Simon Yates and Geraint Thomas have superior credentials for GB.
Don’t TT entrants also have to enter the RR? Or isn’t there a minimum overlap of squad members or some such?

It would make sense for him to at least attempt the TT. And if he’s in Innsbruck anyway, he would at the very least be an excellent domestique for any of the others.

Leinster said:
Parker said:
Oude Geuze said:
Don’t TT entrants also have to enter the RR? Or isn’t there a minimum overlap of squad members or some such?

It would make sense for him to at least attempt the TT. And if he’s in Innsbruck anyway, he would at the very least be an excellent domestique for any of the others.

That is an Olympic rule but not a World's rule. Spain usually takes Castroviejo for the ITT but he almost never races the RR for them. Their other TTer usually does but they also don't have two top TTers for the ITT.

Moviefan1203 said:
Red Rick said:
Moviefan1203 said:
del1962 said:
Whats really impressed me about Chris is that he is genuinely happy for G, even with the disappointment of not winning himself , Chapeau

Showing a lot of humility and class.
So that's why they were singing derogatory songs about Movistar?

This is the first I have heard of this. Could you elaborate please?

it wasn't derogatory. it was on the Sky bus after the tour, Luke Rowe done a live video on the team Sky Facebook page

froome constantly preferred riding the vuelta after the tour as it clearly made a positive impact on being competitive next season. but this time he'd better have a rest instead of doing the worlds. winning 5th tour and retiring will be optimal for him IMO. I don't think dawg really has much left inside of him after 8 consecutive productive years.

rick james said:
Moviefan1203 said:
Red Rick said:
Moviefan1203 said:
del1962 said:
Whats really impressed me about Chris is that he is genuinely happy for G, even with the disappointment of not winning himself , Chapeau

Showing a lot of humility and class.
So that's why they were singing derogatory songs about Movistar?

This is the first I have heard of this. Could you elaborate please?

it wasn't derogatory. it was on the Sky bus after the tour, Luke Rowe done a live video on the team Sky Facebook
page

Its a version of Max Boyces Hymns and Arias

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/other-sport/cycling/welsh-made-video-tribute-geraint-14966250

Re:

dacooley said:
froome constantly preferred riding the vuelta after the tour as it clearly made a positive impact on being competitive next season. but this time he'd better have a rest instead of doing the worlds. winning 5th tour and retiring will be optimal for him IMO. I don't think dawg really has much left inside of him after 8 consecutive productive years.
I would love to run some analysis on that Vuelta theory.

I would generally think that not racing after the Tour is bad, and that it also largely depends on what you're doing in the winter anyway. I guess it's more about getting enough racing days in a year, rather than specifically the Vuelta.

Red Rick said:
dacooley said:
I would love to run some analysis on that Vuelta theory.

I would generally think that not racing after the Tour is bad, and that it also largely depends on what you're doing in the winter anyway. I guess it's more about getting enough racing days in a year, rather than specifically the Vuelta.

Seems to work for Froome. He usually hits the podium at the Vuelta and has said more than a few times it's his second favourite race. Kind of odd as he often looks more fatigued in the last few days of the Tours but always has the TT to fall back on. He usually build his leads early in the race except for 2017. It's been quite a while since Froome has ridden away from the field on a mountain stage in the third week of the Tour.

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
It means the Dawg makes some dollars by riding Rigoberto "moonlighting instead of doing my real job" Urans shitty gran fondo at recovery pace. Like a crit for when you didn't win the Tour.

For being such a terrible GC rider Uran really puts an emphasis on the whole "sell your brand" thing :lol: