• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 570 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Never a fan of Chris Froome, the rider but this is very sad and so absurd it's hard to digest. For whatever reasons crashes were part of his persona. But what happened today, the gravity of his injuries, how and when it occurred, it's just incomprehensible bad luck. I hope I'm wrong but today it looks like his career is in grave danger, hopefully he can recover to lead a normal life.

Re:

Escarabajo said:
I did not read fractured hip. A translation in Spanish from the official press release says that he fractured the femur, elbow and some ribs.[/quote

the diagnosis of the hip fracture at the 2nd hospital??? Team Doctor, Richard Usher, said: "Chris was taken to Roanne Hospital where initial examinations confirmed multiple injuries, most notably a fractured right femur and right elbow. He has also suffered fractured ribs. He is now being airlifted to St Etienne University Hospital for further treatment.

https://twitter.com/5liveSport/status/1138929392518914051
"There's crashes and there's bad crashes. This was a bad crash" - Sir Dave Brailsford

Chris Froome is in intensive care after a crash into a wall at 55 km/h
in the tweet, part of BeSpoke podcast, Brailsford talking about injuries.......

Really sad for him, probably that means an end of his high level career considering the extent of the reported injuries. I don't believe the BS of 34 as age limit to win a GT, especially nowadays that sports careers are stretching significantly, but already a broken femur alone could hamper a career, Vino for example when he broke his femur at the 2011 Tour de facto ended his high level career, yeah he won Olympics but it was a flat and chaotic race in which he was good at escaping at the right time, other than that he was a shadow of his former self in every race he entered that year. Not to mention that with the addition of the pelvis (another really bad injury), several ribs and an arm all at the same time, it's like being run over by a truck.

Re:

hammerthaim said:
I think of Andy Schleck when I hear broken pelvis. Andy was finished after that and he was young and the best. + all the other broken stuff. I think he's done unfortunately.
Andy Schleck permanently injured his willpower when he got hit by a 2010 Tour victory.

He was actually on the way back but it was the 2014 crash that did for him. :(

So to go along with the Femur, elbow and ribs they also found he’d broken his hip and had to spend the night in intensive care. Absolutely horrific, I just hope he recovers and gets to enjoy a long retirement with his family, cycling really doesn’t matter at this point.

Honest question - is this injury really as bad as some reactions suggest or is there some Froome-drama element added? I mean, cyclists break something almost on a regular basis. I can't understand how but they almost always recover from any broken bones and other traumas very quickly and compete again earlier than you would expect. Why majority seems to expect it will be different this time?

Re:

PeterB said:
Honest question - is this injury really as bad as some reactions suggest or is there some Froome-drama element added? I mean, cyclists break something almost on a regular basis. I can't understand how but they almost always recover from any broken bones and other traumas very quickly and compete again earlier than you would expect. Why majority seems to expect it will be different this time?
This might be true for a broken elbow or a broken rib. But a hip and a femur are incredibly serious and while there's a significant% of riders that return to the pro peloton, many never reach their top level again.

Add in the rumor that the femur break was a very complicated one and the fact that Froome is 34, and it's not an unreasonable fear. Many riders have their careers shortened or stunted by injuries as a result of crashes and Froome would not be an exception given his age and the injuries that are reported.

At this point I'd call it season over and we just wait and see.

Re:

PeterB said:

A femur fracture was career “ending“ for Beloki, a hip fracture for Schleck.

Re:

PeterB said:
I doubt we’ll see him at the top end of bike racing again

Some news about the operation (in French):
https://www.leprogres.fr/loire-42/2019/06/13/chris-froome-c-est-un-polytraumatise-confie-le-professeur-stephanois-qui-l-a-opere-tour-de-france-criterium-du-dauphine

Google translated:
After his crash at the Critérium du Dauphiné in Roanne against the clock on Wednesday, the four-time winner of the Tour de France, Chris Froome was successfully operated at the CHU Saint-Etienne. He had been helicoptered in a state deemed serious.

"The operation lasted a good time," says Professor Rémi Philippot, who operated the cyclist. "He's multi-traumatized, he suffered multiple fractures, he suffered a high-energy shock." The cyclist should remain hospitalized a few days in Saint-Etienne. "A point will be made this morning on the follow-up to be given.It is possible that there are other surgeries behind."

For now, the unavailability of Chris Froome is estimated at six months, which will deprive him of the end of the season, including the Tour de France, which will leave July 6 in Brussels (Belgium).

The guy has fractured his femur(open fracture...that hurt as hell. I had a friend who had an open fracture on tibia and fibula at ski but femur is really something else. More, more painful), hip(someone said here that a hip injury ended Andy Schleck but not just him. Look at Andy Murray. After his hip problems he never was the same), elbow and ribs and someone on here said that the media amplifies it because it's Froome...

Given that the guy is a champ I'm sure he will try to cameback but it will be really hard for him. Also, lolz at the guys here who said that he should enjoy his season off and comeback next year...I assure you, the recovery from an injury like this is much more demanding than training. I had an ACL surgery and the first four months were incredibly taxing for the body. To go to physhiotherapy 6 times a week 2-3 hours a day were really hard, but imagine that footballers usually stay 8 hours in the first 6 months...So yeah, Froome will have the battle of his career.

Still, if he wasn't a cyclist with 67kg and 3 or 4 % bodyfat he wouldn't have ruptured all of these. If he got more muscle or more bodyfat his body would've been more protected. This sport is really weakening your body(I reffer mostly to riders like Froome, Wiggins in his GC days or even Dumoulin who are all tall, but extremely skinny).

Re:

Jagartrott said:
If the reports are correct, it definitely looks like it's the end of Froome's career as a GT contender. Who has ever returned from such grave injuries to his former level, and certainly at his age? This is a very sad story.

Yeah, I agree. Would be a very sad way to go out, not befitting what he has accomplished. I think he was good odds to join the greats at 5 tour wins.

TRENDING THREADS