• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 577 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.4%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 45 57.0%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.8%

• Total voters
Re:

MatParker117 said:
https://mobile.twitter.com/inrng/status/1151590788960329739

An extremely belated congratulations to Chris on becoming the first British rider to win a Grand Tour and joining Coppi, Indurain and Contador in becoming a seven time GT winner.

I like Froome, but not much to congratulate here. It can’t feel like much of a win to him.

I would assume Froome will not return to something like his best. Apart from his injuries, he's getting older anyway. To answer some of the points above saying that he would not receive a hero's welcome in France: why not just target Giro-Vuelta double for a couple of seasons (I would assume that's all he's got left at the top). The 2011 Vuelta is his seventh GT. Anquetil had 8. Hinault had 10. Merckx had 11. If I were Froome, I'd rather target the most GTs of all time rather than the most Tours. But then I'm just an old chunk of coal - Froome is the diamond.

Re:

TMP402 said:
I would assume Froome will not return to something like his best. Apart from his injuries, he's getting older anyway. To answer some of the points above saying that he would not receive a hero's welcome in France: why not just target Giro-Vuelta double for a couple of seasons (I would assume that's all he's got left at the top). The 2011 Vuelta is his seventh GT. Anquetil had 8. Hinault had 10. Merckx had 11. If I were Froome, I'd rather target the most GTs of all time rather than the most Tours. But then I'm just an old chunk of coal - Froome is the diamond.

He's not exactly liked in Spain either. Granted they aren't as bad about showing their displeasure as the the fans at the Tour are, but they don't particularly care for him either.

Re:

MatParker117 said:
https://mobile.twitter.com/inrng/status/1151590788960329739

An extremely belated congratulations to Chris on becoming the first British rider to win a Grand Tour and joining Coppi, Indurain and Contador in becoming a seven time GT winner.
giphy.gif

Re: Re:

Koronin said:
TMP402 said:

He's not exactly liked in Spain either. Granted they aren't as bad about showing their displeasure as the the fans at the Tour are, but they don't particularly care for him either.
Lol....everybody love my idol please, please love him

rick james said:
tobydawq said:
F_Cance said:
Singer01 said:
There are going to be some very salty Contador fans today.
He still won more

Not officially. In the record books it's 7-7, now.

9-6 in my book, though.
How convenient

What do you mean? I also have Lance at 7 Tours, and it's not like I particularly like him. I'm not that much against Froome, either?

Singer01 said:
tobydawq said:
F_Cance said:
Singer01 said:
He still won more

9-6 in my book, though.
8-7 for me, which one of Froomes are you not giving him? Vuelta 1 or 2?

I count victories on the road unless a disqualification follows immediately (of course that doesn't happen when talking about Grand Tour victories) for example for irregular sprinting.

Which of Contador's are you not giving him?

tobydawq said:
Singer01 said:
tobydawq said:
F_Cance said:
Singer01 said:
He still won more

9-6 in my book, though.
8-7 for me, which one of Froomes are you not giving him? Vuelta 1 or 2?

I count victories on the road unless a disqualification follows immediately (of course that doesn't happen when talking about Grand Tour victories) for example for irregular sprinting.

Which of Contador's are you not giving him?
2010 tour, if you actually test and are convicted of doping during a race that's coming off your record (in my opinion).

Re:

rick james said:
Javier d'Abernon
@vayerism
Froome is back on a bike 35 days after piercing his thigh and his skin as his femur snapped in two.

That's incredible

Please tell me your source isn’t this?

According to the Telegragh he is using a trainer with one leg as of yesterday, hardly fishy although seems a bit risky to me but what do I know.

bigcog said:
rick james said:
Javier d'Abernon
@vayerism
Froome is back on a bike 35 days after piercing his thigh and his skin as his femur snapped in two.

That's incredible

According to the Telegragh he is using a trainer with one leg as of yesterday, hardly fishy although seems a bit risky to me but what do I know.

It's fine. I ruptured my ACL,LCL, meniscus and a big part of the cartilage last year but when I was allowed to put the leg down it was really fine. The difference between me and Froome was that he probably has full imobilization.
Also, cycling on a stationary bike is the easiest thing you can do when you have a leg injury. This should not shock everybody. The trickiest part of the recovery actually is after 3-4 months when you need to run and start do sports specific recovery. That hurt as hell. In my first run I couldn't do it for more than 3 minutes. My ankles, knees and back hurt me like hell.

pink_jersey said:
bigcog said:
rick james said:
Javier d'Abernon
@vayerism

That's incredible

It's fine. I ruptured my ACL,LCL, meniscus and a big part of the cartilage last year but when I was allowed to put the leg down it was really fine. The difference between me and Froome was that he probably has full imobilization.
Also, cycling on a stationary bike is the easiest thing you can do when you have a leg injury. This should not shock everybody. The trickiest part of the recovery actually is after 3-4 months when you need to run and start do sports specific recovery. That hurt as hell. In my first run I couldn't do it for more than 3 minutes. My ankles, knees and back hurt me like hell.
yep. literally the hardest part for him now would be to actually get on and off the stationary trainer...