• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 585 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
Chris Froome touted for the UAE Tour, end of February
in the Gazzette [In Italian, Paywalled]:

Confirmed:

Goal is simply to finish I imagine.

This reeks of oil-fuelled appearance fee.
just like the Giro

_101754888_froome_getty-3.jpg

Reactions: Poursuivant
From what I understood with my ancient italian, the mayor said that it's not only because of the Poggio. The region has been under severe weather for a long time, with the red danger alerts issued for the upcoming days, and the infrastructures of the region are under threat of many damages (in addition of the 10 million euro damage already incurred for the reestablishment of the Poggio road).

The reasons are certainly true, but let's see if the mayor is not exaggerating the situation in order to apply pressure on the central government for money for maintenance and repairs on the region.
just like the Giro

_101754888_froome_getty-3.jpg

images

Yeah I guess appearance fee + a Giro > forgone fifth Tour...

Is that meant to be a criticism that he wanted a clean seeep of grand tours instead of going for the 5th tour?
I have always been curious, though I certainly don't expect to get any sort of conclusive information about the question, whether Froome would rather have the fifth Tour or if he valued the clean sweep of GT's more. Obviously he had no reason to think they were mutually exclusive, and could well believe he is still just as likely to get the fifth Tour as he ever was, but it remains an interesting hypothetical for me.

Didn't he go to the Giro because he wasn't sure if he will be able to ride the Tour?

Almost certainly. But Contador fans like to claim that he rode the Giro and Vuelta due to some sort of passion for cycling, so Froome fans can do the same. I thin k both will be glad of the opportunities.

Notes: In 2008 Contador rode the Giro and Vuelta after Astana were excluded from the Tour. In 2011 he rode the Giro as his hearing was original scheduled for June.

A good read, thanks for the link. Almost makes you want to root for Froome after years of well..."doubt", mostly due to his attitude during the 2012 tour but that's an old story now.

Among the many reasons I'm not any more likely to root for Froome: he (or Ineos) covered up that he had additional complications at the end of last year, and he tweeted (or some other media) after there were questions about the training camp issue, that he had no setbacks in his recovery at that point.

"After all, it was only a few months ago - in early December to be precise - that the four-time Tour de France winner was forced to go under the knife for a third time following an infection that stemmed from the previous rounds of surgery on his right side and leg.

The infection was caused by an allergic reaction to internal stitches that were sewn during the second surgery to remove metalwork in November. News of this third surgery was revealed by Froome to both Cyclingnews and The Times at the finish of stage 2 of the UAE Tour."
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chris-froome-from-learning-to-walk-to-liberation/

Reactions: Fus087 and Koronin
To follow up my previous post, I can understand him (or the team) wanting to keep under wraps any setbacks in his recovery (though that would be illegal in most mainstream American sports--as bad as they are about policing other issues, they try to stay on top of the fraud potential there). But the PR veneer that "everything's fine" (my paraphrase) and the smiling, alls-well twitter photos insult my intelligence (I know that's noone else's problem), and coming from Ineos just add to the ongoing sense of fraudulence about that organization.

View: https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1213879270050799618

Reactions: Koronin
To follow up my previous post, I can understand him (or the team) wanting to keep under wraps any setbacks in his recovery (though that would be illegal in most mainstream American sports--as bad as they are about policing other issues, they try to stay on top of the fraud potential there). But the PR veneer that "everything's fine" (my paraphrase) and the smiling, alls-well twitter photos insult my intelligence (I know that's noone else's problem), and coming from Ineos just add to the ongoing sense of fraudulence about that organization.

View: https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1213879270050799618

what he calls a training camp was in Manchester at the beginning of December, where the riders are passing differents medical tests, physical evaluations, test for skin cancer....

You can't blame Froome or his team not saying his form or if he can compete. You don't tell opposing riders "please don't attack I can't follow the pace." What some don't like is what was actually broken.

Hopefully he is able to win at any level.
I'm amazed he's already out there in the race (UAE). I'll be blown away if he's able to compete for top-ten on GC at the TDF--but because he's Chris Froome, I will just wait and see.

TRENDING THREADS