• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 596 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Even if they don't have him as leader, Froome brings something that the likes of Sivakov or Amador don't and that's fear. The other riders fear Froome while he is still in contention. If Froome moves, they move and that is something Ineos can use.

Yes, but the problem for Ineos is that that's something Froome can use, too. If the three leaders are close in time at some point, Bernal and Thomas have to be as threatened by Froome's taking off as the leaders of the other teams would be. Froome is only no threat to the other two if he trails substantially in GC, but if that's the case, he's not much of a threat to other teams, either. The threat only works if Froome is considered as likely to win as either of the two others.

I suppose you can imagine a scenario where Froome takes off, and Bernal and Thomas are confident that other teams will expend the energy to reel him in, but they still would have to be nervous seeing him go. Regardless of Froome's current condition, no one is going to forget that Giro stage. Possibly, Froome could trigger a selection, where only Bernal, Thomas, and a few other contenders from other teams can follow, but there are other outcomes that Bernal and Thomas would have to worry about.

In 1985, Hinault not only let Lemond go up the road, but controlled the peloton so that Greg could stay away, and gain time on everyone, including Hinault himself. The rationale was that Lemond could move into second place, and it worked, but it also caused Hinault headaches later, when Lemond was in position to win the GC, and had to be ordered to wait for Hinault.

Last edited:
Froome might have the slightest semblance of an argument if it were a Tour route with lots of ITTs that's also well controllable for Ineos and where it's hard for Bernal to make the difference.

It isn't.

In the end, I think Ineos would know if Froome is good enough to win, and if he weren't I'd assume they'd still bring him if he were gonna be a team player, but it seems like that won't be the case. Unless he wouldn't make the final selection of 8, in which case why would anyone want him.

Yes, but the problem for Ineos is that that's something Froome can use, too. If the three leaders are close in time at some point, Bernal and Thomas have to be as threatened by Froome's taking off as the leaders of the other teams would be. Froome is only no threat to the other two if he trails substantially in GC, but if that's the case, he's not much of a threat to other teams, either. The threat only works if Froome is considered as likely to win as either of the two others.

I suppose you can imagine a scenario where Froome takes off, and Bernal and Thomas are confident that other teams will expend the energy to reel him in, but they still would have to be nervous seeing him go. Regardless of Froome's current condition, no one is going to forget that Giro stage. Possibly, Froome could trigger a selection, where only Bernal, Thomas, and a few other contenders from other teams can follow, but there are other outcomes that Bernal and Thomas would have to worry about.

In 1985, Hinault not only let Lemond go up the road, but controlled the peloton so that Greg could stay away, and gain time on everyone, including Hinault himself. The rationale was that Lemond could move into second place, and it worked, but it also caused Hinault headaches later, when Lemond was in position to win the GC, and had to be ordered to wait for Hinault.
That Giro stage was a long time ago in a country far away in today's terms.
The second any Ineos opponents see a Froome move come that doesn't get an Ineos response will be when those same opponents use Froome. As Red Rick pointed out, the shortage of serious ITTs this will make this Bernal's and likely Roglic's and Pinot's Tour.
I'm hoping the race happens and everyone is as dedicated to a great race as we are to viewing it!

Cycling News claiming he is going TDF

If froome didn t have the guarantee of going to the tour, he would change to other team in mid season.

And meanwhile in the comment section:

a few years ago, we watched these three Ineos riders decide on the road what would happen. Froome held all 3 jerseys at the time, Thomas was surging, and Bernal was a perfect domestique. Froome lost the wheel, Bernal came up to help him, it happened again, and each time Thomas moved a little further ahead. Without Bernal, Froome never would have been on the podium at the end.

Someone's been hallucinating!

But Froome holding all three jerseys? He didn't have one at any point during that year...

And as I write that, I realise it is referring to him being the defending champion in all the three Grand Tours.

Aaah... of course! I - obviously - thought it meant "in the Tour" (completely ignoring the fact that there are four jerseys in the Tour, two of which he never held). So... maybe no hallucinations anyway.

Surely in this scenario Bernal and Thomas may be personally nervous but it would be benificial to the team as a whole as you would hope that they wouldn't have a preference as to which one of their riders wins. I get that they would probably prefer Bernal because of his age but Thomas and Froome appeal to a larger market.

It's a dilemma, Froome, Thomas and Bernal are all champions. And for various reaons of these three, Froome is probably the one Ineos is least connected with. But he's still the most accomplished rider in the team (and the peloton, other than arguably Nibali). I agree with Rui Machado, Froome should be #1. Ineos owes him that.
Not sure Thomas would have won that tour if Froome didn't have the Giro in his legs already.

Froome's winning Tours have generally not been very entertaining (outside of the initial MTF explosions in 2013 and 2015) imo. However, I cannot see a Froome winning 2020 Tour as NOT being entertaining.
Giro 2018 attack on finnestre wasn t entertaining? Tour de france 2016, attack on a descent wasn t entertaining? Vuelta 2011 pena cabarga? Tell me a rider that has given more entertainment in this decade than froome....

Last edited:
Reactions: brownbobby
Giro 2018 attack on finnestre wasn t entertaining? Tour de france 2016, attack on a descent wasn t entertaining? Vuelta 2011 pena cabarga? Tell me a rider that has given more spetacule in this decade than froome....
He said generally, not never. No offense to Froome but there have been quite some riders who were more exciting to watch than him. That doesn't mean they are better, but just more enjoyable to watch in general.

Reactions: Koronin
He said generally, not never. No offense to Froome but there have been quite some riders who were more exciting to watch than him. That doesn't mean they are better, but just more enjoyable to watch in general.
I respect your opinion but i disagree. In grand tours since 2011 i didn t see any rider giving more entertainment than froome. Maybe contador also gave some entertainment like froome. People say that he is a boring rider because he was/is in sky/ineos train but, let s not forget of all the entertainment that he gave.

I respect your opinion but i disagree. In grand tours since 2011 i didn t see any rider giving more entertainment than froome. Maybe contador also gave some entertainment like froome. People say that he is a boring rider because he was/is in sky/ineos train but, let s not forget of all the entertainment that he gave.
Are you talking about flapping his elbows or running uphill without a bike, or in what sense do you mean he's been entertaining? His wife's tweets were probably the most entertaining, now that i think of it. As a rider, i think he's about as entertaining as Roglic, so not very much.

Guys like Pogacar or Evenepoel have been more entertaining in one year.

Last edited:
Just yesterday I watched that running part again, and I admit, I just had to laugh out loud again, it was wonderful and I thought it was great of him. That's about the only moment I can remember Froome being entertaining, though. Well, it's not even his fault alone, he does what he's supposed to do, he does not take unnecessary risks, fine. We cannot actually turn it against him he's not part of the movisopera-ensemble.
But your posts do actually sound like trolling. (I don't think you're really trolling, you just seem to be a massive fan.) For most people, I think, saying Froome is entertaining is a o_Ostatement.

Are you talking about flapping his elbows or running uphill without a bike, or in what sense do you mean he's been entertaining? His wife's tweets were probably the most entertaining, now that i think of it. As a rider, i think he's about as entertaining as Roglic, so not very much.

Guys like Pogacar or Evenepoel have been more entertaining in one year.
I am talking of being entertaining in grand tours. Tell me what was supposed froome to do, to be entertaining to you?

Just yesterday I watched that running part again, and I admit, I just had to laugh out loud again, it was wonderful and I thought it was great of him. That's about the only moment I can remember Froome being entertaining, though. Well, it's not even his fault alone, he does what he's supposed to do, he does not take unnecessary risks, fine. We cannot actually turn it against him he's not part of the movisopera-ensemble.
But your posts do actually sound like trolling. (I don't think you're really trolling, you just seem to be a massive fan.) For most people, I think, saying Froome is entertaining is a o_Ostatement.
Giro d italia stage 19, mont ventoux 2013, ax 3 domaines tour de france 2013, pena cabarga 2011,col de la pierre sain martin 2015, attack in the descent of peyresourde, attack with sagan in the tour 2016. It s not enough? Yes, i m a big massive fan, but no one as given more entertaining than froome in the grand tours in the last decade, and that s a fact.

TRENDING THREADS