• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 668 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
What we have seen from Chris Froome this year is very similar to his 2011 form up to this point of the season.
(50th & 60th in tier-two races; 71st Tour of Luxembourg; 85th Tour of Poland and 118th London Surrey Classic).
Now imagine if he were to suddenly win the Vuelta, which starts in four weeks time.
Seems unthinkable/impossible right? Out of all bounds of reason, yeah?
Well, that's exactly what happened a decade ago.

People said this a lot but out of curiosity what performance suggested he would not be able to finish the race if he did not crash during the race at any point. Surely if he did not finish one stage then neither would 80+ other riders going by the Dauphine.

The Dauphiné was 8 stages, the Tour de France is 3 weeks.

In the end this Tour has been pretty consistent considering where he's been since the beginning of last year (like the Vuelta 2020) & yes, irrespective of his day 1 crash. But as I said previously, others crashed as well, i.e. any argument on that front can quickly become a puerile d*ck measuring contest between rider injuries. The winner of the Dauphiné (Richie Porte) was also nowhere in this race, i.e. Dauphiné classification doesn't equal Tour result.

And I think someone would have a very difficult time trying to seriously convince followers that Froome would be largely better in this Tour without that crash. He was expected to be bad & he was bad.

But whatever, roll on the Vuelta + following races & the next batch of excuses when he's bottom 10 & praise when he's top 60.

What we have seen from Chris Froome this year is very similar to his 2011 form up to this point of the season.
(50th & 60th in tier-two races; 71st Tour of Luxembourg; 85th Tour of Poland and 118th London Surrey Classic).
Now imagine if he were to suddenly win the Vuelta, which starts in four weeks time.

A friend went back from no internet world and quickly checked Vuelta result midrace on Opera Sports or something, he thought it was Chris Horner and asked me why he's suddenly Wiggins' team mate

The Dauphiné was 8 stages, the Tour de France is 3 weeks.

In the end this Tour has been pretty consistent considering where he's been since the beginning of last year (like the Vuelta 2020) & yes, irrespective of his day 1 crash. But as I said previously, others crashed as well, i.e. any argument on that front can quickly become a puerile d*ck measuring contest between rider injuries. The winner of the Dauphiné (Richie Porte) was also nowhere in this race, i.e. Dauphiné classification doesn't equal Tour result.

And I think someone would have a very difficult time trying to seriously convince followers that Froome would be largely better in this Tour without that crash. He was expected to be bad & he was bad.

But whatever, roll on the Vuelta + following races & the next batch of excuses when he's bottom 10 & praise when he's top 60.

None of what you said suggests he would fail to finish the race which is my question,

People said this a lot but out of curiosity what performance suggested he would not be able to finish the race if he did not crash during the race at any point. Surely if he did not finish one stage then neither would 80+ other riders going by the Dauphine.

I guess my expectations for the highest paid rider in the peloton are different than yours. I assumed that if he couldn't be competitive, and couldn't actually help his team (and let's be honest ... carrying water bottles is not why he was signed) then perhaps enduring 3 weeks of the tour might not be the best use of his time and he would drop out.

Not many riders get to use the Tour as nothing other than a training block. If he thought that there was any hope of results at the Vuelta he should have dropped out (as did Roglic, etc). In addition, I also assumed (incorrectly) that the embarrassment of finishing in the gruppetto each day as a former GC winner would be enough for him to drop and admit that he isn't ready.

I guess my expectations for the highest paid rider in the peloton are different than yours. I assumed that if he couldn't be competitive, and couldn't actually help his team (and let's be honest ... carrying water bottles is not why he was signed) then perhaps enduring 3 weeks of the tour might not be the best use of his time and he would drop out.

Not many riders get to use the Tour as nothing other than a training block. If he thought that there was any hope of results at the Vuelta he should have dropped out (as did Roglic, etc). In addition, I also assumed (incorrectly) that the embarrassment of finishing in the gruppetto each day as a former GC winner would be enough for him to drop and admit that he isn't ready.

I understand now, that makes sense.

You have to be kidding. All I can say here is that the playing field is not the same as it was for him 10 years ago.

Just finishing the Tour is not enough of a reason to do the Vuelta. Be surprised if it happened. That spot on the team could quite easily be taken by a young rider that needs grand tour experience or someone who has a better shot at stage wins.
I think ISN are beginning to wonder what is going on, a little head scratching perhaps. You get the sense, if there is any honesty in their statements (lol!), that his training numbers suggest he would do better than his racing results demonstrate.

Reactions: movingtarget
E6R-RksWQAcwPWn

So is there any reason for Froome not to go "full gas" in the time trial on Saturday?

I know before the first TT he said he was going to use it as a recovery day, but it seems to me this will be a great opportunity to see exactly where he is as there is no reason to hold back.
No reason, so I was optimistic for him to do a good ITT. But I read days before after his crash he was just trying to finish the race and help the team. I think he hadnt much more gas for the ITT. It was a race with more rain than usual, with a high level to get the breaks, so I think is ok.

I would like to know what is his next race. It is almost sure he will race La Vuelta, but not sure he will race something before. I am sure he will be stronger next race. How much is difficult to say.

Reactions: Sandisfan
His main problem was the hit on the chest.. He recovered that at the end of le Tour, but the body suffer and you lost energy. It was similar for half of the peloton this year anyway, but among the people who finished the race he was one of the most affected. A day in the mountains when he was affected by a mecanical in a bad moment, and he finished 72th was his best performance. No good, but according circunstances we have to wait till next race to see how is really his current level.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
His main problem was the hit on the chest.. He recovered that at the end of le Tour, but the body suffer and you lost energy. It was similar for half of the peloton this year anyway, but among the people who finished the race i was one of the most affected. A day in the mountains when he was affected by a mecanical in a bad moment, and he finished 72th was his best performance. No good, but according circunstances we have to wait till next race to see how is really his current level.
I think we all have a pretty good sense of what his current level is right now

Reactions: Fantastico