• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Chris Hoy - hard work and dreaming big

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Yet you keep coming back to threads about British riders with the same old tired lambasting the clinic. One would think you might be obfuscating at best Jim, or trolling, as it appears you last contributions offer nothing yet you post it verbatim.

And other's here differ from that exactly how? I've read this thread and it reads like a remix of every Brit/Sky?Froome thread in the place, with the same protagonists saying the same things in a slightly different order. Face it: this place is stagnant, it opffers little to any anti-doping debate, in fact several posters have said their not even anti-doping. Too many people use it as a platform for their own prejudices, either national, teams or simply personalities. Don't like a rider? Start a thread about him. If he rides for Sky or he's British you're sure to get rousing chorus of approval from the various trolls in this place.

And why shouldn't I post in British riders threads? I am British and the one truth of this place which I feel very keenly is the pervasive prejudice against all things British, being it riders, teams or Presidents of the UCI. That is the elephant in the room too many people try to ignore, or twist.

So I no longer look to convince, or frankly care about your opinions. After actively contributing to a place that I at least thought had an ethos and a mission I now just see a platform for people looking for an argument, and accusing riders of doping is merely the vehicle. So I've started to reply in kind, the few times I do come in here and bother reading anything posted.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:
And other's here differ from that exactly how? I've read this thread and it reads like a remix of every Brit/Sky?Froome thread in the place, with the same protagonists saying the same things in a slightly different order. Face it: this place is stagnant, it opffers little to any anti-doping debate, in fact several posters have said their not even anti-doping. Too many people use it as a platform for their own prejudices, either national, teams or simply personalities. Don't like a rider? Start a thread about him. If he rides for Sky or he's British you're sure to get rousing chorus of approval from the various trolls in this place.

And why shouldn't I post in British riders threads? I am British and the one truth of this place which I feel very keenly is the pervasive prejudice against all things British, being it riders, teams or Presidents of the UCI. That is the elephant in the room too many people try to ignore, or twist.

So I no longer look to convince, or frankly care about your opinions. After actively contributing to a place that I at least thought had an ethos and a mission I now just see a platform for people looking for an argument, and accusing riders of doping is merely the vehicle. So I've started to reply in kind, the few times I do come in here and bother reading anything posted.

That's all well and good Jimmy, but it's off topic, just slightly insulting to clinic regulars, and really, it adds nothing worthwhile to this thread.

If you don't like the discussions that are going on in a thread, I would suggest just not reading it ( and there really isn't a need to post about how much you don't like it). Even if you have given up trying to convince people with your own argument, it's still better to add to a thread rather then detract from it.

If you'd like to respond to me, please do it via PM so this thread can stay on topic. Thank you.

Afrank said:
That's all well and good Jimmy, but it's off topic, just slightly insulting to clinic regulars, and really, it adds nothing worthwhile to this thread.

If you don't like the discussions that are going on in a thread, I would suggest just not reading it ( and there really isn't a need to post about how much you don't like it). Even if you have given up trying to convince people with your own argument, it's still better to add to a thread rather then detract from it.

If you'd like to respond to me, please do it via PM so this thread can stay on topic. Thank you.

Sorry Afrank, but this post of yours is just nonsense, do you think "clinic regulars" who are happy to accuse others of cheating should be immune from a slight insult, it they are that sensitive then perhaps accusing people of cheating without evidence perhaps is not for them.

That is why I admire someone like Walsh who had actual evidence to back up his accusations and wasn't going to be upset by slight insults

Perhaps you could also summarise the topic of the thread so we know what is an what isn't on topic

Afrank said:

It adds nothing worthwhile to a thread that has nothing worthwhile in it.
Apart from it's comic value, that is.

del1962 said:
Sorry Afrank, but this post of yours is just nonsense, do you think "clinic regulars" who are happy to accuse others of cheating should be immune from a slight insult, it they are that sensitive then perhaps accusing people of cheating without evidence perhaps is not for them.

That is why I admire someone like Walsh who had actual evidence to back up his accusations and wasn't going to be upset by slight insults

Perhaps you could also summarise the topic of the thread so we know what is an what isn't on topic
It's against the rules to attack other posters. It's not against the rules to attack public figures. Quite simple really.

Bernie's eyesore said:
Let's cut out all this rubbish about never testing positive and let's look at the facts. Almost every successful road cyclist during the nineties and noughties is now a known doper. Almost every successful sprinter in athletics in that period (including in the eighties) is now a known doper. How is it that all these track cyclists, many of whom are earning a pittance, can get away with it year after year, almost without exception? I'd like some sensible answers, not stuff about me having a Union Jack tattooed on my backside.

Also, how stupid is Gregory Bauge? Every other track cyclist (including his teammates and training partners) is doped to the eyeballs on stuff which the tests are unable to detect. Why on earth was he so stupid to take stuff which meant he had to evade the testers to avoid being caught?

Excuse me for interrupting the aussie stuff and the Sky fanboy rants

(BTW, FWIW I have hardly posted on the Sky threads... so universally typecasting everyone on this thread as tired old Sky stuff doesn't fit.)

But, allow me to offer some substance on doping in track cycling.

Two words: Marty Nothstein.

His career timeline paralleled Hoy's.

And, since the Aussie stuff may have appeared a bit off track, might as well point out that there is even an Oz connection to Marty's doping in one Nathan O'Neill.

Oh, and for the trivia hounds, Nathan also had considerable success on the track.

Dave.

JimmyFingers said:
If he rides for Sky or he's British you're sure to get rousing chorus of approval from the various trolls in this place.

have you even read the various Tinkoff, Astana, Nibali, Contador, and Valverde threads? of course you haven't. the only difference between those threads and Sky threads is that there isn't an army of nationalists blindly defending their heroes.

Bernie's eyesore said:
How is it that all these track cyclists, many of whom are earning a pittance, can get away with it year after year, almost without exception? I'd like some sensible answers, not stuff about me having a Union Jack tattooed on my backside.

The organization responsible for anti-doping is the same one responsible for your international success creates many opportunities like:

-not opening a sanction despite having a positive. There's no rule against this.
-warning athlete when dope tests are coming. No rule against this either.
-test athlete before leaving country to never test positive at meet. (JADCO)

And all of those have happened recently under the WADA framework. It's why the bio-passport is more like theater than a real sports integrity program.

zlev11 said:
have you even read the various Tinkoff, Astana, Nibali, Contador, and Valverde threads? of course you haven't. the only difference between those threads and Sky threads is that there isn't an army of nationalists blindly defending their heroes.

What is there to defend in two convicted cheaters and the leader of one of the most mafioso teams to ever walk the cycling scene. LOL. I don't get this constant pejorative use of the word army - and others related - to reffer to Sky/Froome defenders considering the number of 'sceptics' :rolleyes:, at least in these parts, is much larger.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
BigMac said:
What is there to defend in two convicted cheaters and the leader of one of the most mafioso teams to ever walk the cycling scene. LOL. I don't get this constant pejorative use of the word army - and others related - to reffer to Sky/Froome defenders considering the number of 'sceptics' :rolleyes:, at least in these parts, is much larger.

What is there to defend in cycling when the testing is a joke?

That the sport is so corrupt that one has to wonder whether those testing positive have been spiked, Frank Schleck, Landis, and others....

That some people find the clinic ludicrous is laughable, have they not been watching the sport of cycling!!!!

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
It adds nothing worthwhile to a thread that has nothing worthwhile in it.
Apart from it's comic value, that is.

Comic value is that guys still believe that riders can win consistently clean against dopers.

Just had the 'pleasure' of catching up with today's posts in this thread. Some of the personals and Brit/Aussie baiting are simply embarrassing and unacceptable. I'm not going to go back and delete posts pages back but please think before posting and keep it on topic from now on. Not that I'm sure the thread is going anywhere.

Cheers

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
oldcrank said:
On the short ride from the former site of the Haçienda
to the Velodrome one would pass near the Alan Turing
Memorial in the first quarter mile or so and also cross
the Alan Turing Way less than a quarter mile from the
Gold Medal Factory.
and he is the genius.

Curtis & Turing ftw

TRENDING THREADS