• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Cian Uijtdebroeks - From the wetlands to the top of cycling

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It really isn’t, definitely not after the facts. Foresight is 20/20
He terminated his contract Dec 1 (we now know) and Jumbo confirms Dec 3 that they are interested in signing him when his contract expires.

Fine to be sceptical of the reports, but maybe you should have been the least bit humble instead of flat out stating that "there was no story". You didn't know ***.

I find Cian's behaviour and attitude off-putting, if not surprising, in one so young and, no matter the apparent raw talent, so far unproven in my eyes as a future TdF winner.

Remember the Remco hype as inevitable TdF winner? How has that played out so far? They both may yet succeed, but to take that as an article of faith is foolhardy and likely to be very expensive.
Cian has at least showed he can climb against the best.

Reactions: Sandisfan
The thing is, cycling has become extremely short-lived.

One day, everyone is talking about Remco Evenepoel. Then Remco fails at Tourmalet and Vuelta, so no one speaks about him, any more.

Now people are talking about Uijtdebroeks. The next big deal. But if he should have a „jour sans“ himself, he‘s gone also?…

It was only this current week that I noticed that Gino Mäder was once third in final GC of the Tour de l‘Avenir. He‘s not alive, any more.

What I want to say: whether Cian joins Jumbo in 2024 or only in 2025 - what does it matter? Future might be bright for him, anyways. He has perfect conditions to develop at both teams, Jumbo AND Bora.

If Cian joins Jumbo for 2024, he will be able from the master himself, from Vingegaard. Perfect conditions. Plus Sepp Kuss, and van Aert.

At Bora, he‘d be able to learn from Roglic, and from Hindley. Also perfect conditions.

Let’s not forget: in the final GC of 2023 Vuelta, Cian was 8th; three ranks behind Mikel Landa (!), and almost four and a half minutes behind Mikel Landa (!).

Cian clearly wants to join Jumbo asap. But if he stays at Bora for 2024, he can learn from another master of the Grand Tours, which is Roglic. Also a decent option.

(And Remco slowly steps aside, and has a look at the „next generation“…). :)
Short lived is the foundation of our youths generations. The young people of the world of today expect a high paced and fast changing environment- because they are stressed from expectations.

It will not last of everyone. And some will have short careers because the mental toll is simply inhumane

Short lived is the foundation of our youths generations. The young people of the world of today expect a high paced and fast changing environment- because they are stressed from expectations.

It will not last of everyone. And some will have short careers because the mental toll is simply inhumane
It does not help that with all the carbs is a nice mixture of "Red Bull" like substances to keep everyone jacked up (and that's without whatever rocket fuel is added on top).

If this situation is as it seems, a rider has broken his own contract with a WT team on December 1st & then signed for a rival team as a 'free agent'.

Somehow this seems like a very bad idea for Uijtdebroeks & Visma as well. The Van Aert case might not be the best example because here there's prejudice moral (as the French call it) which affects the actual sport, i.e. an equivalent would be if a Barcelona footballer ruptured his contract on August 1st & a week later signed for Real Madrid as a free agent just before the new season. There would be massive fines & a penalty (probably a suspension).

We're not talking fines relating to the money left on his contract, but fines relating to the gravity of the 'offense'.

I don't think they would. But it would teach Jumbo a lesson.
I seem to remember a similar case with a guy called... can't remember his name... Rimoz Proglic? It's a long time ago of course, at least two months. But okay, a much smaller fish of course than Uijtdebroeks.

I think Denk is pissed because he payed a transfer fee for Roglic and JV just wants to get Uijtebroeks for free. Of course Uijdebroeks should be much cheaper but the situaion is similar.
Of course it's about money. It's not like they had any future plans with Uijtdebroeks, it's pretty clear he was on his way out the door. If not this year then the next.

Reactions: SHAD0W93 and search
Interesting also that Uijtdebroeks chooses Visma instead of UAE.

At Visma, probably the development perspective is better. At UAE he probably would earn more, earlier.

The thing is, Cian probably did not even consider moving to Ineos. Ineos almost have become completely irrelevant, Grand Tour wise. Unbelievable. All within a few years. They have Carlos Rodriguez, and no one else.

Grand Tour GCs are now between Visma and UAE. We have a duel for the next three to five years. Visma vs UAE.

Ineos is watching from outside. Going for Romandie stages with Hayter, at best.

We have Ayuso, Christen, del Toro and Pogacar at UAE. We have Uijtdebroeks and Vingegaard at Visma.

Now let the games begin. Remember, Brailsford couldn’t stand it any more, and moved towards soccer.

Visma/UAE 1 - 0 Ineos.

Of course it's about money. It's not like they had any future plans with Uijtdebroeks, it's pretty clear he was on his way out the door. If not this year then the next.

Of course Bora should be compensated. As for Bora not having any future plans with Cian. That is like saying Visma will now send Cian to the Tour as the team leader. We i guess will see about that.

So the question i guess is who will Cian ride for in 2024 season? For Primož, Jonas or for Cian?

Grand Tour GCs are now between Visma and UAE.

Well, we will see about that. Could be that Bora became first tier team with Rogla. Without Rogla and with Cian that in my opinion wouldn't have happened in 2024 season. As for Visma sending Cian to lets say Giro as a leader. Maybe. But somehow i feel that he would get equal opportunities at Bora too.

Best to wait and see.

Wow, this is some Lorena Wiebes ****.

"I've signed a contract, but I want to sign another contract for more money".
"No can do, you're under contract"
"Now we have an irreconcilable difference of opinion, I will break my contract and sign that other contract for more money".

**** you, Cian's agent.

Yeah. Forget about riding for Visma in 2024 if there is still a contract with Bora and Bora doesn't allow it.

Yeah. Forget about riding for Visma in 2024 if there is still a contract with Bora and Bora doesn't allow it.
It worked for Lorena, although Parkhotel Valkenburg probably didn't have the money to fight it.

Her replacement contract that she signed for more money included a clause at her insistence that she be allowed to break it at any time if somebody else offered another contract for more money.

We all know how this will end. In the case of Van Aert, UCI allowed Van Aert to compete for Jumbo. The UCI has no other choice then do the same in this case. But of course, in the real world, a contract is a contract. Uijtebroeks will be forced to pay (in a far future, due to a courtdecision and after appeal) a compensation. In fact, Visma will give that amount to Uijtebroeks and he will pay Bora.
But all this is a bad evolution. And proves how incompetent the UCI is by allowing this.
A prediction. If UCI allows this again... then I predict Van Aert will leave Visma after 2025 if he is forced again to work as a domestique..... not getting enough help in the classics in spring, and exhausted not having the legs in the second part of the season. Evenepoel will do the same at the end of 2024 when it would turn out that his team is not strong enough in the Tour. Very bad for cycling.

We all know how this will end. In the case of Van Aert, UCI allowed Van Aert to compete for Jumbo. The UCI has no other choice then do the same in this case. But of course, in the real world, a contract is a contract. Uijtebroeks will be forced to pay (in a far future, due to a courtdecision and after appeal) a compensation. In fact, Visma will give that amount to Uijtebroeks and he will pay Bora.
But all this is a bad evolution. And proves how incompetent the UCI is by allowing this.
A prediction. If UCI allows this again... then I predict Van Aert will leave Visma after 2025 if he is forced again to work as a domestique..... not getting enough help in the classics in spring, and exhausted not having the legs in the second part of the season. Evenepoel will do the same at the end of 2024 when it would turn out that his team is not strong enough in the Tour. Very bad for cycling.

Maybe. But it could also go the other way as well, i.e. a fine & an annulled contract with Visma after it's declared unlawful.

I wouldn't be so certain the UCI will buckle here. It sort of does open Pandora's box, i.e. riders just tearing up their contracts (for whatever pretext) & signing for a rival one month before the new season is a step too far IMO, even for the UCI.

Reactions: search
Van Aert is not José De Cauwer. It's clear he's perfectly satisfied at Jumbo. Of course that can change in the future, as it did for Roglic. At the end of 2025 he only has one year contract left so that will be a moment of negotiation anyway.

I don't know why it's bad for cycling that riders can choose which team they want to ride for. As long as it's done in a manner that's satisfactory (or at least not extremely damaging) to all parties involved. Like Jumbo did with Roglic, and like has happened many times before, with riders like Wiggins and Dennis.