• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Clasica San Sebastián 1/8 -- 219km

We go to Spain for the penultimate World Tour Classic this weekend, more specifically, we head to the Basque Country. The Clasica San Sebastián falls on a very interesting point in the calendar. It joins the people coming out of form after competing in the Tour (Contador, Uran), those who are using this race to build up to the Vuelta (Landa), those who are targeting this race while also having an eye on the Canadian Classics and the Worlds (Gilbert) and those desperately trying to keep their form to do both the Tour and the Vuelta (Valverde). Basically, very few riders are at 100%. Because of this it is one of my favourite races, to make it even better it has incredible scenery in a region where it is very difficult to not create a hilly race. Last year saw Valverde break from Rodriguez, Mollema, Yates and Nieve on the descent of Bordako Tontorra after they attacked on it IIRC. Yates late crashed on the descent. And Mollema won the sprint for second, if you could call it a sprint. Zubeldia ninja-ed it to the line to finish 7th!

Top 10 2014:
1.Valverde
2.Mollema 14"
3.Rodriguez s/t
4.Nieve s/t
5.Gallopin 26"
6.Vanendert s/t
7.ZUBELDIA(!) s/t
8.Van Avermaet 40"
9.Visconti s/t
10.Stybar 43"

Profile:
FHRkjvP.jpg

Same route as last year. For me, this is a good thing as I prefer this route to the old route, as the Bordako Tontorra comes so close to the finish so that a scenario like 2012, where a group of 26 riders came through together to sprint for 2nd after LuLu attacked and soloed to the finish 7 seconds ahead of Gerrans, who used his wheel-following skills to good effect.

The day starts off rolling before we reach the first climb of he day, the category 1 Alto de Iturburru. This isn't a spectacularly steep climb, although it is the longest one of the day, 14km long @ just 3.4%. The first part of the climb, the first 7.5km, are essentially a false flat. The next 6,5 rise more steadily at around 5% to 6.5%. It maxes out at 6.7% The descent is fairly technical and much steeper than the ascent, and with places reaching 10.5%.
IturburuW.gif

After 50km of rolling terrain once again, hard to find more than 10km of flat in the Basque Country, we have the first attempt at the circuit of Jaizkibel-Arkale. Luckily for us, it isn't one of those flat city circuits, it's one of those nice hilly ones :) . The Alto de Jaizkibel is much harder than the Iturburru, this one reaching 11% one the ascent, not the descent.

JaizkibelW.gif

It has stunning scenery and although is not that long long it is fairly steep. Then we head to the Alto de Arkale, easier than the Jaizkibel, before heading back round and heading up the Jaizkibel once again and repeating the circuit. After the Arkale #2 comes a long section of flat whoch is a shame and deseerves another climb, before heading up the Bondako Tontorra where the final moves will be made and descending down into the city.

O40DCiFt.jpg

FAVOURITES:

Valverde- Number 1 favourite after looking in very good shape at the tour and winning the event last year - is a race that suits him especially in the new format.
Gilbert-2 wins in 1 week is a good sign and in the Tour of Walloon he is looking very good, albeit against a depleted field. Showed at the Giro this year he is still a champion and was good at Amstel (on the Cauberg) before crashing in La Fleche
Alaphillipe-Amazing talent and has the capabiltires to win. Form? I don't know if he can keep up with Valverde if not in top shape.
Rodriguez-3rd last year and looked good dropping Contador on the Alpe. Rodriguez will turn up to his home classic for sure and might beat his good friend :p Vallverde
The Yates Twins- Double Trouble and as Simon finished 11th on the Alpe and Adam 7th on PSM despite Froome going alien they are clearly in good form, better than last year, where Adam was in the front group before falling foul of gravity.
Dan Martin-Was second on the Bretagne stage in the Tour so could be in with a shout, but he will probably crash. :(
Bardet- Awesome rider and a great descender which will help.
Mollema-Let's hope lat year's runner up doesn't protect his 7th place in this race too.
Landa -In the Basque country near his home and was 6th here in 2013, so has experience. Unknown form, though.
Costa-Not my favorite for this ace after he had a bad Tour but may want to make up for it.
Zubeldia- He was actually Top-10 here last year and may do something again, despite seemingly having bad form.

startlist: http://procyclingstats.com/race.php?id=149965&c=3
weather:http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/3110044

We go to Spain for the penultimate World Tour Classic this weekend, more specifically, we head to the Basque Country. The Clasica San Sebastián falls on a very interesting point in the calendar. It joins the people coming out of form after competing in the Tour (Contador, Uran), those who are using this race to build up to the Vuelta (Landa), those who are targeting this race while also having an eye on the Canadian Classics and the Worlds (Gilbert) and those desperately trying to keep their form to do both the Tour and the Vuelta (Valverde). Basically, very few riders are at 100%. Because of this it is one of my favourite races, to make it even better it has incredible scenery in a region where it is very difficult to not create a hilly race. Last year saw Valverde break from Rodriguez, Mollema, Yates and Nieve on the descent of Bordako Tontorra after they attacked on it IIRC. Yates late crashed on the descent. And Mollema won the sprint for second, if you could call it a sprint. Zubeldia ninja-ed it to the line to finish 7th!

Do you expect people to read the above?

Anyway another Valverde win I think.

I just don't like this race. It just doesn't have the right route to be a real classic. Classics should be full of mountains and there should be hardly any flat in the crucial area of the race but the Classica San Sebastian is just a stage everyone could design in an hour, without even knowing the region before. Around 45 kilometers between the last serious climb and the penultimate climb with only one other climb between is just a joke. Everyone will foucus on the last climb and that means action for about 10 minutes.

edit: only my opinion, I can imagine quit well that many people here like this race because of its date in the season

Dislike the Bordako Tontorra finish, just makes it a Flèche Wallonne styled wait-til-the-last-climb event, and that climb is so steep it just becomes another puncheur race. Part of the joy of San Sebastián is not knowing who's got energy left over from the Tour, who's building up for the autumn, and surprises.

I really wish they'd just stuck Erlaitz in between the two ascents of Jaizkibel if they wanted to make it tougher.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Dazed and Confused said:
BigMac said:
Dazed and Confused said:

Why not? I sure did.

Anyway, incredible lineup. I just wished Costa was in good form somehow. That said, one of the french trio Bardet, Alaphilippe, Galloping Foxley will win.

Biggie, its the layout...

And no I don't read stuff like that.
Lol your constant whinning about even good posts is really annoying...next time you can take time and do a super perfect OP :rolleyes:

good OP Brullnux, I wonder if Valverde can put there the same demolishing attack as last year! :eek: As for the route I like it without Bordako Tontorra as the race was more unpredictable

Brullnux said:
Dazed and Confused said:

Yes.

I took time on this man :( after I missed out on a Tour OP i felt I needed to do something
Brilliant OP. I was going to do the OP for this race later in the evening. You snoze you lose I suppose.

Anyway Valverde will win for sure whether my predictions place curses over riders.

Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
Dislike the Bordako Tontorra finish, just makes it a Flèche Wallonne styled wait-til-the-last-climb event, and that climb is so steep it just becomes another puncheur race. Part of the joy of San Sebastián is not knowing who's got energy left over from the Tour, who's building up for the autumn, and surprises.
Very much this.

Also, Jaizkibel is a pretty shitty climb, but it was still special. Not anymore.

Brullnux said:
Dazed and Confused said:

Yes.

I took time on this man :( after I missed out on a Tour OP i felt I needed to do something

Thanks for your efforts, it's a great OP.

Despite the whining I love this race, always have. Go Bala and pretty much wrap up the WT leading rider again this year :).

TRENDING THREADS