• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Classic Racing Pics

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
223139_10150731161845062_892240061_19553024_6779012_n.jpg

From a race today (ave. speed approx 42km/h). I was standing on a hill with my 300mm lense on my camera, and it was the sprint on the last lap. The strange thing was that a four man break had stayed away (nearly lapped the bunch), and another 3 man break was ahead (I had no idea why they attacked, they had zero chance of bridging up to the leading break), and one guy went off road as he was forced off by some crazy idiots in the sprint.

Now that is one bone deep ugly sprint!

I'm sure the guys riding it have the best of intentions and don't realise it, but they look to be all over the place AND way too close? That may be the camera angle? Personally, I always feel more nervous watching this kind of sprint, than actually doing it, must be the adrenaline?

Is that Murwillumbah?

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Spider1964 said:
Now that is one bone deep ugly sprint!

I'm sure the guys riding it have the best of intentions and don't realise it, but they look to be all over the place AND way too close? That may be the camera angle? Personally, I always feel more nervous watching this kind of sprint, than actually doing it, must be the adrenaline?

Is that Murwillumbah?

No, Runaway Bay on the Gold Coast.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
No_Balls said:
It was a sprint down to the very core. None afterwards knew who won the race. Planckaert i think won be a centimetre or something like that.

Winning this race with a sprint tells you about a very special race indeed. But Bauer took the defeat with style i remember (didn´t questioned the outcome and was very gracile in defeat).

Classic race.
IIRC, neither Bauer nor Planckaert celebrated because they had no idea who had won.

As for Bauer's not arguing, how can you challenge the decision in light of the photo-finish pic? It's clear that it is Planckaert's by a tyre width.

That said, it was the beginning of the end of the old school way of dealing with defeat, IMO. Riders used to just get on with it, except for Criq at Ronse!

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
One of my favourite (although accidental) victory poses is the teammate four-arms, as demonstrated by the U23 French duo:

000_par6534429_600.jpg

And the Schlecks, stage 19 of the 2009 Tour
Frank+Schleck+with+four+arms.jpeg

Or Contador and LL Sanchez Stage 5, 2005 Tour Down Under
IMG_8810.jpg

TRENDING THREADS