• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Clean Colombians? (Arkea investigation page 27)

Page 33 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It looks like Quintana brought Otero with him from Movistar and is on Arkea payroll as staff, whereas the Dr appears to be externally brought in for Le Tour at last minute by Quintana I assume. Not sure for Pro Continental level, but assuming rules are the same as World Tour level, UCI does allow riders to use non-team Doctors, so long as the team notifies UCI this is the riders nominated medical person. However, it also says non-team Doctors work under the liability and are the responsibility of the teams Head Dr. I'd imagine that's why Arkea are wanting to remove themselves from this non-staff Dr, because if they stand behind him and it turns out a doping violation, it cascades to the team Dr and so the teams responsibility.

As Quintana is claiming these 100ml ampoules seized are Vitamins, sounds like IV Recup and perhaps the Saline is being confused for Vitamins. Either way, nobody takes vitamins in ampoule form orally, and for wound washing, Saline is typically from a squeezable bottle so you can get some flow into the wound to wash the grit out.

How is an ampoule illegal? You just brake it and drink it.

They spend a tone of calories a day and they sweat a lot. Your body needs more vitamins then the RDA when you exercise and they are doing a tone of exercising.

I see nothing weird with taking extra vitamins everyday, it would be weird if they didn't.

I've never heard of oral Vitamins in ampoule form although in Spain we used to buy this energy glucose concoction in little dark orange ampoules that were like like fromage frais pouches in shape of ampoules, but think that was jus to make it look more medical and serious.

Sounds like Police have released everyone concerned this morning. It's either all over, or just beginning. Laurens did say injection equipment was found, but depends on the context I assume.

this and the post by Extra Spoke should rule the day. The unions and race organizations can easily mandate conditions..no farm animals,no open flame BBQs, don't perform any surgery in your hotel room or team bus or car..
a syringe anywhere in cycling should be the entire team out..all riders ,directors and support staff out for the possession of needles ..
should be a mobile clinic,resembling a bookmobile ..or team bus for observation of all rider medical procedures that involve IV's or injecting anything..your GC position dictates when you enter the shooting gallery..guys off the back..2 hours down get seen on the drug bus after everyone else is finished getting filled.
The use of intravenous anything should be done with caution,care and cycling officials direct..w their eyes observation..and trace samples kept of everything squirted into a racers blood stream.
I imagine most of the teams have them. They are for emergencies I imagine but we all know what they are for. Very hard to force the rule if that one time you have an emergency where your rider is compromised then they will be liable for negligence.

According to this article everyone was released and The Quintana's are free to return to racing:

Arkea will continue monitoring the results from the investigation if something new come up. Can't help to think that somebody else intervened and told the police to move along.

According to this article everyone was released and The Quintana's are free to return to racing:

Arkea will continue monitoring the results from the investigation if something new come up. Can't help to think that somebody else intervened and told the police to move along.
Thank you for the update. Maybe there was just nothing there. Do we really think that looked like a doped Quintana? I don't.

Well, I don't know if he is doping or not but it looks like he only had vitamins in his room. He was very straight forward in every answer he gave.

In fact he didn't even write that he has never tested positive in his life. Instead he mentioned that he has never taken any prohibited substances during his career.

So, Quintanagate is over but the environment is still strange... There are many questions in the air...

1. There should be more evidence if they kept in custody 2 members of Quintana team, so what's the evidence?

2. If they have not more evidence, why they kept those 2 people in custody?

3. Why they have arrived to Quintana and other Colombian rooms instead of other riders in the team?

4. How it is possible to do such operation without asking UCI to ask 3 questions (And the scandal for the "evidence"), that we all know that are pretty simple for a cyclist?

5. Will Quintana and Arkea ask for a remediation from french police? (That's not gonna happen, but there is some damage due to this situation).

6. What happens if they do this to a top 10, top 5, top 3 GC guy and because of this, he losses his shot to the yellow?

Man... That was odd!

Well, I don't know if he is doping or not but it looks like he only had vitamins in his room. He was very straight forward in every answer he gave.

In fact he didn't even write that he has never tested positive in his life. Instead he mentioned that he has never taken any prohibited substances during his career.
maybe they thought his espresso machine with Columbian beans was a drug administration device.....
I know it enhances my performance.

Reactions: Koronin
This is all easy on a philosophical level. If you..whoever you think about bicycles..who knows..the beach,your family,a way to get fit. Getting auto parts,beer,grocery items to your house..your family..
ok
Bike racing.
whatever that means to you..
from pro to folks in pajamas watching something on TV..using 11 pounds of pure cocaine and some snack cakes..
if anyone in any of these groups..within the spectrum,see bike pump,water bottle..shorts,Jersey..helmet..special shoes..a @$1000 dollar head end and SRM interface..ok..
You imagine a coach..trainer..nutritionist..billionaire sponsor..
Ok
You see bike racing.if you see syringes..IV have dripping a benefactor into your blood stream..
there is problem.
Needles are not part of modern bike racing..yes maybe part of it's past or cheating reality..but not part of the dream our prosperous future.
Pro bike racing needs to ask and answer questions about other sports.
Does the NBA,NFL,pro motocross,major league golf,tennis or baseball,NASCAR,F1, dressage..surfing,chess.. Pro beach volleyball..whatever..do they have drugs in their sports? Do they have officials,fines?unions?
Events in multiple countries and cultures?
What is every other professional sport doing that is keeping them from being critiqued,slammed like pro cycling?
Does pro hockey or darts have intravenous drugs being used?
Where is the scrutiny?
What is cycling doing to destroy itself?
Is LeBron or Rinaldo better or smarter than every pro bike racer? Why are they,their sports not being destroyed?

The investigation is still ongoing
So, Quintanagate is over but the environment is still strange... There are many questions in the air...

1. There should be more evidence if they kept in custody 2 members of Quintana team, so what's the evidence?

2. If they have not more evidence, why they kept those 2 people in custody?

3. Why they have arrived to Quintana and other Colombian rooms instead of other riders in the team?

4. How it is possible to do such operation without asking UCI to ask 3 questions (And the scandal for the "evidence"), that we all know that are pretty simple for a cyclist?

5. Will Quintana and Arkea ask for a remediation from french police? (That's not gonna happen, but there is some damage due to this situation).

6. What happens if they do this to a top 10, top 5, top 3 GC guy and because of this, he losses his shot to the yellow?

Man... That was odd!

It's not over as in the case is closed, just those concerned have been released. Supposedly what was seized is being tested, Neither Quintana nor Prosecutor seem to have addressed 'injectable equipment' although AFLD said yesterday, even with this, it wouldn't be enough to charge under WADA regulations simply for Saline, as it can't be detected in the blood anyway.

TRENDING THREADS