• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

CN interviews Chris Horner

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
to me, horner's apologia indicates that he doped and that armstrong and others know it.

never getting caught is the thin glass house he knows will easily collapse if anyone in the know will choose to throw a pebble...

that he said so much and yet so little meaningful is the testimony to his diarrhea-like need for blabbing.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
To me it sounds like CH wants to believe that lance is innocent but deep down he knows he isn't. Its easier mentally if you believe that you are on a level playing field. It's a copping mechanism. That is also why he believes in the "never tested positive". That way looking back he can't look back and say what if....? As stupid as it makes him sound, it's he's way of copping. Which explains why he didn't read the report, Or comes on cycling news or velonews.

Also he's point on USADA is so true. If someone admits to doping they shouldn't be given a slap on the wrist. Why was lance the key target of the report? He has retired yet riders who have many years left, get a 6 month ban which just happens to be over the off season so really not affecting them at all. I feel this is the point he is making. (I could be wrong).

This is how the interview reads to me but at the same time i personally just don't know how someone so close to lance would be clean.

MarkvW said:
I'd bet Horner is reflecting the consensus attitude of the peloton.

I would agree. Recent Sports Personality of the Year said:

“I’ve always been a bit of a fan of Lance and have sided on the side of innocent until proven guilty with him. There isn’t an athlete or a cyclist out there that isn’t more tested than he is, certainly since his comeback, he’s probably been the most tested cyclist in the pro peloton and you take that on face value and that he’s never failed a drugs test and until he does he’s clean. That’s how I’ve always had as a stance on Lance.”

Sanchez, Contador have said much the same.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
spetsa said:
When will these idiots just shut their traps. Now Horner claims that he has been tested 500-1000 times himself:rolleyes: If he makes it through the season without being implicated by USADA, it will be a miracle. Remember folks, his participation with Johan was post 2005, a period that we haven't heard much about yet.

When Johan fails to step foot in the US for arbitration, and another reasoned decision is realeased, Honer is going to look like the tool that he is.

The actual quote: "So do you take all the tests, 500, 1000, I don't know the number I've done in my own career and you basically say, that you took them for no reason?"

Of course dumb rocks would take the first part of the quote, clip it and create a lie in an effort to associate him with Armstrongs comments on the number of teast. Horner has no idea of the number of test he's taken. He speaking metaphorically. A lot of tests...he says directly, "I don't know the number." The point he makes is valid. All test are now questionable. Or is it, "will question your tests Chris, but ignore those of, oh let's say Tom Boonen or anyone else. Horner's similar interviewed with Velo News sum it up best when he said I did not race with those guys. (Postal).

I guess guilt by association is acceptable, but limited to the individual. Let see Contador: Liberty..Discover...Astana...Saxo, but will look the other way on that.

"Yeh, that's the ticket."

The fact is Horner has not made millions in his career and has seen his share of
hypocracy, but is only trying to make a living. The American outsider, who got an only offer from Bruyneel or bust. Many have to work for money and put up with the bull@#%! in a lot jobs everyday. The working person can relate. Horner is just pointing out the hypocrits and favortism of the summer past.

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Have some of us forgotten that LA's role in all of this is much more than using PEDs? The man seems to be a criminal, a fraud, a panderer, a trafficker, ... and THAT is why LA is sitting in the bullseye with arrows in his derriere. His bully-man attitude has little bearing on the process and outcome but it brings a sense of karma and justice to it all.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
frenchfry said:
In fact, the rules are that doping is banned in cycling. The use of banned products or techniques are subject to sanctions.

Doping tests are only one way of determining if there is transgression of the rules.

Becasue of the USADA ruling: all test are now questionable. Horner's just pointing out the song remains the same. What test are now valid?

That's actually a great self-defence post USADA. Who is really clean? Those who you like? Those who you dislike?

I would seem that their are no song birds around Horner. His good nature off the bike may afford him that.

What we have here is a bunch of sports fans here doing what sport fans do; playing to their favorites while denouncing the enemy as all things evil. Sports hooligans? Name calling from the safety of you keyboard and hidden location. What a revelation.

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
BillytheKid said:
The actual quote: "So do you take all the tests, 500, 1000, I don't know the number I've done in my own career and you basically say, that you took them for no reason?"

Of course dumb rocks would take the first part of the quote, clip it and create a lie in an effort to associate him with Armstrongs comments on the number of teast. Horner has no idea of the number of test he's taken. He speaking metaphorically. A lot of tests...he says directly, "I don't know the number." The point he makes is valid. All test are now questionable. Or is it, "will question your tests Chris, but ignore those of, oh let's say Tom Boonen or anyone else. Horner's similar interviewed with Velo News sum it up best when he said I did not race with those guys. (Postal).

I guess guilt by association is acceptable, but limited to the individual. Let see Contador: Liberty..Discover...Astana...Saxo, but will look the other way on that.

"Yeh, that's the ticket."

The fact is Horner has not made millions in his career and has seen his share of
hypocracy, but is only trying to make a living. The American outsider, who got an only offer from Bruyneel or bust. Many have to work for money and put up with the bull@#%! in a lot jobs everyday. The working person can relate. Horner is just pointing out the hypocrits and favortism of the summer past.

Take a hike.

So I'm a "dumb rock" huh?

Dumb rocks are a bunch of cat 1s from CA that would dope themselves up to only help Chris propel himself to a return to Euro racing. The guy is a tool. Always has been and always will be. His words are more desperation than idocy however. He is finished.

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Billy, nice try. People like you want to pretend that some only care about LA and that is far from the truth. The majority of the people who have problems with the actions of LA are just as upset about the likes of Contador etc. We love cycling. I am sorry that you love Lance.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
spetsa said:
So I'm a "dumb rock" huh? FU
Dumb rocks are a bunch of cat 1s from CA that would dope themselves up to only help Chris propel himself to a return to Euro racing. The guy is a tool. Always has been and always will be. His words are more desperation than idocy however. He is finished.

Sounds like your on the bar stool more than the saddle shouting at the T.V. in sports bar mode. The sad thing is all the back stabing we Americans are engaging in. They must rolling with laughter over other side of the ocean. If he did, then so what. Is the sport clean? Is any sport clean? You clearly misqouted him with a cheap shot cut and paste job. Your just PO'd becuase I called you on it.

The Big Dog is Down and so is the sport here, perhaps the disired result in a comptetive world. I was a tooled for 20 years in every regular job I had. The song remains the same.

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
BillytheKid said:
Sounds like your on the bar stool more than the saddle shouting at the T.V. in sports bar mode. The sad thing is all the back stabing we Americans are engaging in. They must rolling with laughter over other side of the ocean. If he did, then so what. Is the sport clean? Is any sport clean? You clearly misqouted him with a cheap shot cut and paste job. Your just PO'd becuase I called you on it.

The Big Dog is Down and so is the sport here, perhaps the disired result in a comptetive world. I was a tooled for 20 years in every regular job I had. The song remains the same.

Post, not the poster. No suprise though. It is always easier to attack a person, when you don't know crap all about a topic.

Moderators?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
BillytheKid said:
They must rolling with laughter over other side of the ocean.

Like we rolled with laughter when CONI took down Basso,Scarponi, Dilucca, Ricco, etc? Will you roll with laughter when Ferrari's list of 70 is exposed?

Lance is not the sport. The sport has moved on.....maybe it is time you did as well?

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
spetsa said:
Billy, nice try. People like you want to pretend that some only care about LA and that is far from the truth. The majority of the people who have problems with the actions of LA are just as upset about the likes of Contador etc. We love cycling. I am sorry that you love Lance.

Golly gee, that may have once been so, it was great story, and maybe I still view LA as much a victim of drug culture of the sport as any. He certainly did not invent it. I met more than my share of a@%#@! in racing and I had my moments. It is a game of itemidation more than people think. You do have to leave it on the road, but if you raced and remembered it right, it's not exactly "Go ahead and have this wheel, cause I love the sport and I want to get shuffled to the back. Yeh, go ahead and take it. I don't want to be up here when the winning move goes. I just like to train and get popped. I am nice guy and like to finish last."

You get to be Cat. 2 and the Cat. 1's/pros where all like the same guy. "Get off the #$%^&#* front" was the basic attitude. I don't love LA, I just don't see him as much different than the rest of the top tier. I was disgusted in the end of my racing day cause they're all the same guy. LA had talent. Abused it with PEDs. Had cancer and beat it. Went on with super PEDs. The big story and big fame went to his head, but also created envy and resentment from those who got popped because they could not figure out they did not hold the same cards as a cancer suvivor with a big story. They themselves, like the LA comeback, were more over the top in thinking that it could go on and on. Sport is not a nice-guy arena. It should have rules and PEDs are rightly banned. It's not for the love of Lance that I post. The hypocracy of it all is more the matter.

Horner is just pointing that out. He was never in their club anyway.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Like we rolled with laughter when CONI took down Basso,Scarponi, Dilucca, Ricco, etc? Will you roll with laughter when Ferrari's list of 70 is exposed?

Lance is not the sport. The sport has moved on.....maybe it is time you did as well?

A good point. Shall we stopped this bleeding?

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
BillytheKid said:
snip................................
You get to be Cat. 2 and the Cat. 1's/pros where all like the same guy. "Get off the #$%^&#* front" was the basic attitude. I don't love LA, I just don't see him as much different than the rest of the top tier. I was disgusted in the end of my racing day cause they're all the same guy. LA had talent. Abused it with PEDs. Had cancer and beat it. Went on with super PEDs. The big story and big fame went to his head, but also created envy and resentment from those who got popped because they could not figure out they did not hold the same cards as a cancer suvivor with a big story. They themselves, like the LA comeback, were more over the top in thinking that it could go on and on. Sport is not a nice-guy arena. It should have rules and PEDs are rightly banned. It's not for the love of Lance that I post. The hypocracy of it all is more the matter.

Horner is just pointing that out. He was never in their club anyway.

"Golly Gee" you were the victim in the work place and on the bike. I am truelly sorry.

Just to clarify, which club is it that Horner was never part of?

pedaling squares said:
Refusing to go down the road means declining to answer or deflecting the question, not resorting to nonsense like "Lance won... he passed all the tests." Especially since neither point is true. The man either:
a) expects a post-retirement gig,
b) is a simpleton, or
c) thinks that we are all simpletons, in which case see b).

I see your point, but saying what he said doesn't make make him an idiotic Lance-loving doping apologist.
I see nothing that interview that would suggest Horner thinks we're simpletons. All I see is a guy who refuses to pile on because he probably knows we all know he was on the programme too.
If you substitute Lance's name for someone less despicable, Horner has a point.
By pretending the Tour didn't exist during the time in question, the UCI is implicating absolutely everyone in the race. And if you're going to erase all results from the Tour, it stands to reason that the same should be done for the Vuelta and Giro.
I mean, does anyone think riders eased off the rest of the year?

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
the delgados said:
I see your point, but saying what he said doesn't make make him an idiotic Lance-loving doping apologist.
It certainly seems like it...
Considering what is out there about this trying to make it seem like it didn't happen or ignoring seems pretty offensive to me.
It did happen and could be/is happening still. Therefore it needs to be sorted out.
This means people of his stature in the sport should be interested in it and calling it... however i can completely understand if he's not calling it because he was involved in it (rider 15 or whatever in USADA report) as that would be hypocritical. I suppose from this point of view it doesn't make him necessarily a Lance Apologist - just means he's looking after his own back..
He's just taking lessons from the master, certainly wouldn't make him an idiot but would align him as scum same as LA.

Tom375:

I totally agree with you about the need to sort things out.
However, Horner neither denies nor tries to pretend nothing happened. He simply said that the anti-doping rules were not stringent enough to catch the dopers. There's nothing particularly offensive about that.

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
the delgados said:
Tom375:

However, Horner neither denies nor tries to pretend nothing happened. He simply said that the anti-doping rules were not stringent enough to catch the dopers. There's nothing particularly offensive about that.

Considering what's happened - for me its a black & white either you believe the USADA report or you don't - I've read it as i'm sure most people have in this forum (he claims not to - I find that a bit weird? at best it's just burying your head in the sand at worst...)
The USADA decision came about precisely because the anti-doping tests weren't effective at catching a doper. Tests weren't enough because people can beat the tests - that doesn't mean that they aren't doping or aren't cheating. Horner seems to be suggesting that if you beat the tests you aren't cheating i.e a la Armstrong, Jenkins & Spanish Armada et al.
For me the evidence is overwhelmingly that he he did dope and he did cheat, the interview with Horner therefore only makes him look like a "Lance Apologist" or "backward" as i really don't understand how anyone could come out with any other conclusion from the USADA report other than LA doped systematically throughout his career.
As i said earlier he claims not to have read it but he should he's like a senior figure in the peleton these days so I believe he should make himself aware of the facts - maybe then comment. I'd probably appreciate it more if he'd said he'd read the report and still come up with these views at least it would make more sense..

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
the delgados said:
Tom375:

No, he is trying to have his cake and eat it, too. He says that he wants it is USADA or WADA's responsibility to come up with good test but then he wants to say that if you didn't test positive you are clean.

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Was there ever a list, of those subpoenad by the Feds during their investigation? No

Could Chris Horner have been dumb enough to lie to the Feds after being subpoenad and the USADA found no benefit in using his testimony because he lied and provided no evidence, resulting in him not being "self" removed from participation in his first and last Olympic appearance? Yes

If one was dumb enough to lie to the Feds during the investigation, would that said individual be dumb enough to change his story in public at this point in time? Most likely not.

If Lance once again, which he will, becomes part of an civil or criminal investigation, could Chris Horner find himself being the next Martha Stewart?:eek:

Motive enough to make comments like he has? YES:eek:

TRENDING THREADS