• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

College Football

Page 24 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The portal has completely changed the landscape of college football. It's essentially "free agency" & has placed complete emphasis on sports over academics with incoming recruits. The "student-athlete" is becoming an obsolete term.

I was looking at Alabama's transfers for this season. They're losing several top recruits including two (2) 4-star QBs that were #2 & #3 on the depth chart & one 4-star RB who was in the rotation. And since they don't have to sit a year of ineligibility like in the old system, these transfers are plugged right into their new schools as instant starters. So much for all the trouble these coaches go through in recruiting these kids & getting them to commit to your school.

And speaking of QBs - who seem to get the most media attention on transfers - it's gotten to a point that if these 4 & 5-star recruits aren't starting by some point in their freshman year, many are gone. Lol

Last edited:
One thing about the Portal that I don't think people realize is that post COVID the rules are now that an athlete is only allowed one transfer without having to sit out a year, however the NCAA has a process for applying for a waiver to that rule. Athletes are checking the box of "mental health" as a reason for requesting second and third transfers, and the NCAA has granted almost 99% of the waiver requests due to HIPPA not allowing them to even ask questions.

Reactions: Nomad and jmdirt
One thing about the Portal that I don't think people realize is that post COVID the rules are now that an athlete is only allowed one transfer without having to sit out a year, however the NCAA has a process for applying for a waiver to that rule. Athletes are checking the box of "mental health" as a reason for requesting second and third transfers, and the NCAA has granted almost 99% of the waiver requests due to HIPPA not allowing them to even ask questions.
If it looks to have worked in pro cycling, why not play the mental health wildcard as long as you are able? In my lifetime the redshirt is an absolute joke, not used for even close to it's intended purpose. And when you watch college football and there is praise or an overview of a player, often they go over the before transfer stat..he was better at his previous school, or better here.
We all need to stop taking half steps, college football is another professional football league, why pretend it isn't.. Personally I don't see any reason for football players to come on campus other than practice and games, some promotional stuff..

It didn't take long for Bama to hire a new coach. Roll Tide.

And recruits are already bailing on them. Prime Time needs to be working the phones. 😉

Reactions: jmdirt and Nomad
It didn't take long for Bama to hire a new coach. Roll Tide.

As the coaches roll so do the players (or is it the other way around?), apparently.

Reactions: jmdirt and Nomad
Didn't Deboer just say that he loved coaching at UW?! Now he's off to 'Bama?! Just be honest coach..."I love UW, but would love to coach at 'Bama, my dream job".
According to the local news Oregon's head coach had also been approached by Bama, but unlike DeBoer he actually stayed put at the U of O. Good on him, loyalty to a team amongst NCAA coaches can be hard to find.

Reactions: Nomad and jmdirt