• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

College Football

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Bowl season is here, ya'll ready for 41 of them? :lol:

Here's a guide, the only game I may vaguely follow today is the Vegas Bowl. http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21747907/ultimate-bowl-guide-all-41-games

Ducks will be playing the Boise State Smurfs (I actually really like Boise's blue AstroTurf, it certainly stands out), have no idea how to call it. The Ducks' star RB is sitting the game out because he doesn't want to get hurt before the NFL draft, can't really blame him. The Vegas Bowl certainly isn't one of the numerous Bowls I would just die to partake in.

I would like to see Clemson put the wood on Bama...I'm sick & tired of Saban.

Kudos to UCF for knocking off Auburn in the Peach! I think the committee botched this one leaving them out of playoffs! You gotta wonder if Scott Frost is having second thoughts now about leaving UCF.

I'm with you...I'll be rooting for the Dawgs! It would be nice to see Kirby Smart get his first NC as a HC in just his 2nd yr with Georgia. And he should be familiar with NCs as he was Bama's DC for 7 seasons prior to taking the job at Georgia.

I was very surprised that Bama beat Clemson 24 - 6. This is #1 ranked Clemson & defending NC that got manhandled by Bama (Clemson was missing no starters, plenty of time to prepare, etc.). Unlike the exciting down to the wire game with Georgia & Oklahoma, this game was boring and completely dominated by Bama's defense. The selection of Bama with the at-large birth is starting to make the CFP committee look like geniuses. And if they go on to win yet another NC, then the committee must have a crystal ball somewhere. Lol.

Also...Rich Rodiquez fired at Arizona for allegations of sexual harassment! :( This makes both coaches at Arizona & ASU (Todd Graham) fired in the same season. Gotta be a first in Arizona.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ncaaf/ua/2018/01/02/arizona-wildcats-weighing-whether-fire-football-coach-rich-rodriguez/998475001/

Wow!...what an entertaining championship game! And what a move by Saban to change QBs at halftime going with the true freshmen Tua Tagovailoa from Hawaii. The kid is got an arm with that 41 yd game winning strike in OT. And Saban ties Bear Bryant's record for most NCAA football national championship wins by a coach with 6.

I don't know what to say about the CFP committee (I swear they must have a crystal ball somewhere). I remember Saban saying a few days before the committee made it's final selection that he believed his team was good enough and deserved to be in the playoffs...no kidding!

Interesting story about Tagovailoa, the #2 ranked dual-threat QB coming out of HS last year, and why he chose Bama over Southern Cal:

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/breaking-hawaiian-four-star-qb-explains-why-he-committed-to-alabama

In the middle of Q2 I told the crew who I was watching the game with that Hurts is a great athlete, but he will never be an NFL QB so if he has dreams of playing pro, he needs to be a RB next year. Not in my wildest dreams did I think that he would get yanked at halftime, but now he won't even play QB in college anymore. As hard as that had to be for him, he showed HUGE class supporting his young team mate!

The Tide kicker killed his chances of getting drafted. No team wants a kicker who misses two chip shots, and especially a game winner.

Tua...WOW! Talk about a young man steppin' up!

Entertaining game.

on3m@n@rmy said:
On the surface Tyler seemed to be just fine, but clearly things in his head were not fine. Unfortunately this happens a lot but we just don't hear about it because they aren't QB1 at a FBS school.

Many years ago I worked with 'at risk' youth and its shocking how many of them think about suicide every day. I also talk with fellow veterans and all of us are haunted by our experiences on some level. Depression is a huge, hidden issue.

Two loss LSU shouldn't be in the top 10...TWO loses.
1-Ala
2-ND
3-Clem
4-UCF
5-Mich
6-WSU
7-OK
8-OHSU
9-WV
10-Geo
11-LSU

I know, the argument is that they beat Geo, but they have two loses including being shut out, and a loss to a now three loss team.

EDIT: 5-10 are somewhat interchangeable.

They not only beat Georgia, ranked #2 at the time, but they have 3 wins against ranked opponents; #8 Miami, #7 Auburn, #22 Mississippi St., and the 2 losses; #1 Bama & #22 Florida. Their strength of schedule is very impressive:

http://www.lsusports.net/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&SPID=2164&SPSID=27811

Do you really think on your rankings that Wash St. & UCF are better than LSU? Look at WSU's weak non-conference schedule (Wyoming, San Jose St. E. Washington) and the PAC-12 is sad this year; Oregon with 4 losses and USC with 5 already! But I suppose it's possible that WSU, with a solid win over CU could move up from #8 and overtake #7 LSU, who struggled against Arkansas. UCF, though, is a weak undefeated team. A non-power-5 conference (AAC) they play in plus their very weak non-conference schedule of UCONN & S.Carolina "State." I don't see them getting in at all. If they had 8 teams in the playoffs...maybe, but not under the current system.

If you want to complain about anybody look no further than #3 ND. A very weak schedule and only one quality win against Michigan. If they run the table and go undefeated they're in because of their name (I believe). They're not even going to play in a conference championship game and they'll probably end up bumping a higher quality 1-loss team & conference champion.

Clean up on isle 10...I just puked from hearing WAAAAAY too many talking heads spewing about strength of schedule (sheeple rhetoric). Two things there: division one is division one, otherwise make more divisions, and if strength of schedule is anything other than a tie breaker the NCAA should be setting schedules not the schools. The NFC North is crap this year so they shouldn't have a team in the playoffs right?

I get it, UCF likely (we don't now for sure) couldn't survive a season in the SEC, but its also a crap hole argument: they can't recruit the top prospects because they know that they won't get the big bowls, and so they don't get the top prospects...

UCF beat the peaches out of Auburn in Jan. BSU (of course others too) showed several times that they can at least thump the "big" boys once a year.

Re:

jmdirt said:
Clean up on isle 10...I just puked from hearing WAAAAAY too many talking heads spewing about strength of schedule (sheeple rhetoric). Two things there: division one is division one, otherwise make more divisions, and if strength of schedule is anything other than a tie breaker the NCAA should be setting schedules not the schools. The NFC North is crap this year so they shouldn't have a team in the playoffs right?

I get it, UCF likely (we don't now for sure) couldn't survive a season in the SEC, but its also a crap hole argument: they can't recruit the top prospects because they know that they won't get the big bowls, and so they don't get the top prospects...

UCF beat the peaches out of Auburn in Jan. BSU (of course others too) showed several times that they can at least thump the "big" boys once a year.

I'm not convinced the SEC is actually any better than any other of the top 4-5 conferences from top to bottom. However, I agree with you that the strength of schedule shouldn't count as anything other than a tie breaker. (Which I think it is in NCAA basketball for those last teams who do or don't get into the NCAA Tournament.)

Re:

jmdirt said:

Honestly...do you really think UCF is as good as the current top 4? C'mon...look at that top 4: Bama is leaps & bounds above everyone else; two back to back shutouts of an SEC opponent with one of those being LSU (first time in Bama history this has been done), playing with a hurt QB and a team that experts are saying is Saban's BEST ever. I really think "The Citadel" should forfeit this week's game against Bama. Lol. Clemson is destroying opponents right & left and has the top freshman QB recruit (Lawrence) playing like a Senior. ND is getting it done both offensively & defensively and knocked off Michigan earlier in the year. And this is looking like one of the better Michigan teams in recent history with a top 10 offense & defense and a 42-7 drubbing of Penn St. How is UCF suppose to compete with that? Like I said earlier, I don't see them getting in under any scarnio. If they had 8 teams in the playoffs...maybe, but not under the current system.

The problem with UCF is the AAC they play in (btw, UCF is highest non-power 5 team to ever be ranked this high). Though the AAC is ranked as the best non-power 5 conference in this year's conference power rankings, the teams in the conference are not in the same caliber as the SEC, BIG-10, BIG-12, etc. And UCF isn't exactly hammering many teams in their own conference either with some fairly close games. Two weeks ago I watched a Thursday night game where UCF struggled to beat a bad Temple team in a high-scoring affair...not impressed. Plus, UCF's non-conference schedule is terrible playing the likes of S. Carolina "State," UCONN, & Pitt (they had N. Carolina also scheduled, which was cancelled due to the hurricane). Since teams have some control on non-conference scheduling, why doesn't UCF try to put something together with Florida? Or Miami? Or Florida St? Maybe try and work something out with Georgia, LSU or even an independent like ND? They're not going to impress anybody playing UCONN & SCSU (they didn't play anybody in last year's non-conference schedule either). And they also can't wait for a bowl matchup to thump a "big" boy.

I think if you put UCF in the SEC for this season you'd be looking at a .500 team realistically, much like S.Carolina at 4-4 conference play thus far. I think they're much better than Vandy & Missouri but I don't see them knocking off the likes of Bama, Georgia, LSU, Florida, Miss St.,etc.

I agree that UCF can't get the top recruits, but neither can dozens of other schools. If look at the top 10 recruiting classes every year, it's always the same schools; Bama, Georgia, LSU, Ohio St. Michigan, Oklahoma, Penn St. USC, Oregon, etc. Nothing but 4 & 5-star recruits on both sides of the ball for these teams. Heck, Bama's starting QB (Tagovailoa) is a 4-star, the backup (Hurts) is a 4-star and the 3rd stringer (Jones) is a 4-star. So, Saban has 3 4-star QBs on scholarship - unheard of! And his defense is nothing but 4 & 5-stars with most going to play on Sundays. Contrast that with most teams that are lucky to get a few 4-stars and maybe a rare 5-star kid. It's the case of the "have's & have not's." And how Leach is winning big over there at WSU with all 3-star recruits is beyond belief. The guy is some kind of a genius.

So, it's my understanding that 1-5 control their own destiny and 6-10 will need a lot of help, and if UCF runs the table they will probably play one of the losers of the SEC, BIG-12 or BIG-10 championship game in a New Year’s Six Bowl .

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-football-2018-conference-power-rankings

TRENDING THREADS