• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

College Football

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

jmdirt said:
The Apple Cup was OK entertainment. The weather certainly killed the WSU pass attack, but W's running game was just fine dashing through the snow!
I only watched a bit of it seeing as I was sure the Dawgs would lose (still haven't gotten over that loss to the Ducks earlier this season), but seeing that snow made me as giddy as a little girl! :D Even had to call my folks to see if they were watching all that snow...

Thought the Cougs' marching band playing the Huskies fight song because the Huskies' marching band couldn't be there due to the bus accident was very heartwarming, and very class.

The other Pac NW game yesterday - didn't even bother watching the Civil War because I knew it would be a very one-sided game, the Ducks winning by 100 points comes as no surprise at all. Those poor Beavs, just can't help but feel sorry for them.

There should be some intense games today, and being I'm completely out of the loop - how does Notre Dame get to have a rivalry with USC? Did I sleep through some crucial years of this rivalry?

Re: Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
jmdirt said:
The Apple Cup was OK entertainment. The weather certainly killed the WSU pass attack, but W's running game was just fine dashing through the snow!
I only watched a bit of it seeing as I was sure the Dawgs would lose (still haven't gotten over that loss to the Ducks earlier this season), but seeing that snow made me as giddy as a little girl! :D Even had to call my folks to see if they were watching all that snow...

Thought the Cougs' marching band playing the Huskies fight song because the Huskies' marching band couldn't be there due to the bus accident was very heartwarming, and very class.

The other Pac NW game yesterday - didn't even bother watching the Civil War because I knew it would be a very one-sided game, the Ducks winning by 100 points comes as no surprise at all. Those poor Beavs, just can't help but feel sorry for them.

There should be some intense games today, and being I'm completely out of the loop - how does Notre Dame get to have a rivalry with USC? Did I sleep through some crucial years of this rivalry?
I guess it depends on the definition of rivalry. Those two have played each other about 100 times, have some type of traveling trophy, and have had some great games over the years...I guess that's a rivalry. Of course by building it up as a rivalry, the schools/advertisers can make more money. In state (especially cross town) rivalries make sense as do border rivalries, but I agree, this one is a bit of a head scratcher.

Notre Dame/USC have had some intense games, but it's been awhile. Same thing with Notre Dame/Miami. Some great games, but those were back in the 80's. However I agree that Notre Dame/USC isn't the same type of rivalry as Ohio State/Michigan, USC/UCLA, Clemson/S. Carolina, N Carolina/NC State, Alabama/Auburn, Miss State/Ole Miss, etc.

Wow!...that was a barn burner in College Station! By the last two OTs players were dragging themselves with fatigue - both lines had dead legs. Amazing how A&M tied that game late in the 4th.

And Ohio St. hammers Michigan 62-39! (didn't see that coming!). Ohio St decimated the #1 defense in FBS. It's funny - all the pundits had virtually written off Meyer & the Buckeyes with that terrible loss to Purdue and their squeaker OT win over Maryland. Wow!...a knockout punch over the Wolverines and the Buckeyes are back in the conversation.

Don't know if LSU drops out of the top 10, but likely (it depends on how far Mich drops). Certainly #11 Florida & #12 PSU should move into the Top 10. #9 UCF could move up a couple of spots and still have a long shot. ND has essentially clinched a playoff spot (99% chance according to ESPN). The big question is does Oklahoma or Ohio St get that all important #5 spot?

A good day of NCAA football yesterday! The event of the day was Hurts coming in to help win the game (lots of story there!). The top three won't change but I'm curious what will happen with the fourth spot. UCF, OS, and O can all argue that they deserve the final spot. I know the committee doesn't have the balls to put a deserving UCF in there and without Milton UCF's argument is weaker. Really, I'd like to see all of the conference champions in the playoff.

One talking head suggested that the committee would "punish" ND for not having a championship by putting them in the fourth spot.

EDIT: O gets the nod...

Heisman? That's a tough call. I always prefer the MVP of the league be the leader of the championship team so I'll take Tua (of course that assumes that the tide rolls and that he plays). They are definitely three guys who will make a chunk of change in the near future and maybe be stars on Sunday someday too.

The Holiday Bowl is safe for now..it always would be better if BYU plays because the attendance is better and there is actually a noticeable increase in tourist traffic..and in San Diego that's not easy.
College football in San Diego has morphed into something pretty good..University of San Diego..a religious school that had a two for graduation of good teachers and lawyers now has a budding football program...San Diego State ..the Aztecs are the football growth in the region..when the Chargers split SDSU inherited a deserted NFL fan base ..lots more Aztec ball caps and bumper stickers..the Chargers and Aztecs both played at Jack Murphy Stadium..which was renamed Qualcomm Stadium after the cell phone chip giant that is a San Diego heavy..Qualcomm dropped sponsorship..the reason for all the fighting..nobody wanted to pay the @$600 million to give the Chargers the stadium they were demanding..the Holiday Bowl is played at the Murph for now..the stadium is set for demolition and SDSU wants to expand its campus and build a new stadium..we shall see..but I don't see a bright future for the Holiday Bowl..especially during the demo and construction phase of the area redevelopment..
All teams including the Chargers are doing good since the NFL left San Diego..

Re:

Unchained said:
The Holiday Bowl is safe for now..it always would be better if BYU plays because the attendance is better and there is actually a noticeable increase in tourist traffic..and in San Diego that's not easy.
College football in San Diego has morphed into something pretty good..University of San Diego..a religious school that had a two for graduation of good teachers and lawyers now has a budding football program...San Diego State ..the Aztecs are the football growth in the region..when the Chargers split SDSU inherited a deserted NFL fan base ..lots more Aztec ball caps and bumper stickers..the Chargers and Aztecs both played at Jack Murphy Stadium..which was renamed Qualcomm Stadium after the cell phone chip giant that is a San Diego heavy..Qualcomm dropped sponsorship..the reason for all the fighting..nobody wanted to pay the @$600 million to give the Chargers the stadium they were demanding..the Holiday Bowl is played at the Murph for now..the stadium is set for demolition and SDSU wants to expand its campus and build a new stadium..we shall see..but I don't see a bright future for the Holiday Bowl..especially during the demo and construction phase of the area redevelopment..
All teams including the Chargers are doing good since the NFL left San Diego..

That's sad. I hope it survives. It might be a smaller Bowl game, but it is one of the older ones and usually a fun one. Although the only Bowl game I've been to in the newer one in Charlotte as we used to live just outside of Charlotte.

Shocker at Clemson: Starting DT Dexter Lawrence and 2 other backups test positive for a banned substance (ostarine) and will not be eligible for the playoff game against ND:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/acc/2018/12/27/dabo-swinney-clemson-wants-common-sense-committee-deal-drug-tests/2425287002/

This is a big blow for Clemson. The 350 lb Lawrence is their best DL and is projected as a mid 1st rd pick next year. Will see if ND is able to take advantage of Lawrence's absence and get their running game going early on.

Also interesting will be the Fiesta Bowl with #8 UCF vs #11 LSU. The moment we all have been waiting for. Though UCF is without Mckenzie Milton, this is their chance to knockoff a SEC powerhouse, quiet the skeptics and send a strong message to the CFP committee.

Re:

jmdirt said:
The table is set for the title game. It should be a great game!
I've got my 25cents on Bama already, but as you said, hopefully it'll be a great game.(Hopefully Clemson will take them to the cleaners!)

As an aside - Didn't even watch the Rose Bowl seeing as I couldn't bear to, but the Huskies losing to the Buckeyes by only 5 points ain't half bad. I'll take it.

Scrolling up thread you'll see that I put a lot of weight on UCF's winning record. I was hoping that they could beat LSU to prove the doubters wrong (again), but knew that without Milton it was nearly impossible (Mack can't be as good as Milton but he wasn't even as good as Mack in that game). Playing that close with LSU with a backup QB should at least give the doubter some pause.

Re:

jmdirt said:
Scrolling up thread you'll see that I put a lot of weight on UCF's winning record. I was hoping that they could beat LSU to prove the doubters wrong (again), but knew that without Milton it was nearly impossible (Mack can't be as good as Milton but he wasn't even as good as Mack in that game). Playing that close with LSU with a backup QB should at least give the doubter some pause.
But was LSU that motivated for the game? Look at #5 Georgia losing to #15 Texas in the Sugar. I don't think Texas is a better team than Georgia. IMO, both Georgia & LSU had letdowns not making the playoffs. UCF had everything to gain and nothing to lose. With LSU & Georgia there's a lot of pressure for both those schools to make the playoffs. They both have top 5 recruiting classes every year and the expectations are very high (that's why Les Miles was fired in 2016 after going a very respectable 114–34 in 11 seasons with a National title in 07 and two SEC titles during his tenure).

UCF even with Milton couldn't have beaten either Bama or Clemson in the playoff. I think ND is a better team than UCF and ND got hammered by Clemson, even without their best D-Lineman (Dexter Lawrence). Clearly the two best teams are playing in the championship...so it worked out perfectly this year. Swinney vs Saban. And interestingly, these two teams were ranked #1 & #2 in both the AP & ESPN preseason polls (who would have thought. Lol)

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2791037-ap-preseason-poll-2018-complete-college-football-rankings-released

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24175579/college-football-preseason-power-rankings

The only area that Clemson isn't right on the bumper of Bama was this year's recruiting class. As expected Bama was #1 but Clemson was down a little at #5 (Alabama/Georgia/Texas A&M/LSU/Clemson).

You're sure right about that...an unexciting game for the most part. An uncharacteristic defeat by Alabama by such a wide margin. Sensational performance by the Freshman Trevor Lawrence (347 yds passing, 3 TDs, no picks).

Interestingly, Lawrence (5-star & #1 ranked PS QB) started the season as the second QB in Clemson's two-player rotation with incumbent starter & 4-star recruit Kelly Bryant (he was the starter all of 2017 including the loss against Bama in last year's playoff). After the 4th game of the season, Swinney made the decision to go with Lawrence as the full-time starter which prompted Bryant to transfer (I believe he's enrolling at Missouri for the 2019 season). So, Swinney must have known something at that point. Who's to second guess...an undefeated season & National Championship!

In seven short months, it all starts over again. :)

Nomad said:
You're sure right about that...an unexciting game for the most part. An uncharacteristic defeat by Alabama by such a wide margin. Sensational performance by the Freshman Trevor Lawrence (347 yds passing, 3 TDs, no picks).

Interestingly, Lawrence (5-star & #1 ranked PP QB) started the season as the second QB in Clemson's two-player rotation with incumbent starter & 4-star recruit Kelly Bryant (he was the starter all of 2017 including the loss against Bama in last year's playoff). After the 4th game of the season, Swinney made the decision to go with Lawrence as the fulltime starter which prompted Bryant to transfer (I believe he's enrolling at Missouri for the 2019 season). So, Swinney must have known something at that point. Who's to second guess...an undefeated season & National Championship!

In seven short months, it all starts over again. :)
Sunshine is pretty amazing. Also, all the other SEC coaches will be taking notes on how to beat Bama.

What I saw..Nick Saban over and over wasted his first two downs by running off guard or tackle..the up the guy wasn't working. He needed higher risk in order to win..but the main thing I saw was a fantastic football played in every way Trevor Lawrence..a real pleasure to watch..

TRENDING THREADS