• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Component's weight.

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Back to topic.

Why not be concerned by bike weight? Why does it matter if some people want to get the lightest bike possible?

Yes, it is likely that they will have a pro level bike (or better) and never ride it in anger. However that is not the point. For me I love the engineering and design. A good choice of components and frame creates a beautiful bike that rides great. Check out the Weight Weenies forum for some good examples.

Yes, I will buy a part that is X grams lighter than the other one at great cost. Because I can. This will not make any difference to my performance.
I buy it because it looks good and I like it. End of reasons. Only ones required.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Tapeworm said:
Back to topic.

Why not be concerned by bike weight? Why does it matter if some people want to get the lightest bike possible?

Yes, it is likely that they will have a pro level bike (or better) and never ride it in anger. However that is not the point. For me I love the engineering and design. A good choice of components and frame creates a beautiful bike that rides great. Check out the Weight Weenies forum for some good examples.

Yes, I will buy a part that is X grams lighter than the other one at great cost. Because I can. This will not make any difference to my performance.
I buy it because it looks good and I like it. End of reasons. Only ones required.

Yep, there is some very elegant and very light stuff out there but I think the beef is that this stuff is marketed and sold making 'promises' it can't keep.
PLUS bike mags and web sites who rely on adverts from makers of these things, that seem to never 'test' a new thing they don't like. Many golfers buy what Tiger uses, tennis players look for the same racquet(sp?) that Federer uses, replica GP motorcycles, etc.....So if ya want a Contador replica go ahead, spend away but don't believe the hype, IMHO.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
One faithful day at the shop, this guy and his trophy wife roll up in a 7 Series BMW. Out they step wearing only the finest threads you could possibly drape over a human being. The gal didn't even make it in but a few steps and told her man that she's going to wait outside and smoke cigs. The dude proceeded to walk up to me and asked to outfit him with all the lightest gear possible, preferably "the stuff that Lance rides". After a little back a forth I found out that he hasn't been on a road bike since he used to slam the seat on his dad's bike when he was a youngster. I explained to him the stigma attached to the Lance clones, and he agreed. Instead of the proverbial Trek Madone and Disco kit, he ended up with a Pinarello Dogma and a non-flashy, but highly functional Assos wardrobe. He was happy, I was happy, and the shop made some money.

A couple hours later, in walks the buzz kill. Otherwise known as the Cat. 4 club racer with all kinds of gram counting issues with every single part on his bike. He literally made us weigh every thing as we pieced his bike together the previous season. I spent around an hour with him that day trying to make up his mind weather he wants to ride a wire or folding bead for some new training tires.

Who would you rather deal with?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Tapeworm said:
Back to topic.

I agree with our thought Tapeworm, if the price is right its a go. Calculating the gram/dollar is a must, sometimes the top level component is way too much to justify the purchase and sometimes the non-top level component is even lighter! Sometimes less blig :D. Aesthetics does play a key roll on purchases as no one wants to part that is derriere ugly no matter how light or cheap.

I do feel that eventhough all of us could lose some weight to make up for the weight of the bike, attempting to obtain parts that are light is a cyclist angle to have something that won't change weight to be as light as possible so we can maybe have another pint or donut :D

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Unbelievably, I agree with you. I ride about 300 miles a week so I can fulfill my Belgian Beer habit.

On the other hand, I've heard that some shops are starting to charge consulting fees for the "weight weenies" that spend half a day in a shop contemplating the gram/dollar ratio.;)

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Sometimes you really can't loose anymore weight yourself though. In my experience there has to be a difference in bike weight compared to rider weight.

I don't really understand how it works, but how is it that I can weigh 10 kilos more than I used to but am able to ride almost as well as I used to (when I was lighter) on a bike that is only 3 kilos lighter than my old bike?! I'm certainly not any stronger in the weights room. Can the aero frame make that much difference?

Similarly, why is it so much harder when you're riding with 2 full bottles than when after you've drunk them? There's no way I've lost 1.6 litres of sweat as I usually weigh more after my rides.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Why is this such a issue? Since when does what other people ride have any effect on anyone in this forum?

Those against people concerned with weight, or riding race wheels as trainers or calling them poseurs, or talking down about their customers that want to spend money in their store really just sound a bit jealous.

RDV, you act as though a customer not taking your advice is going against the word of God. Why are you the last word in what someone can ride. People are capable of making up their own minds. You can tell them the benefits and disadvantages of a product, but just because they don't agree with you doesn't make them wrong.

Furthermore, why do any of you care how fast someone is? As if you can beat someone on a lighter bike it makes you a better human. Why don't you all just lighten up and let people enjoy riding their bikes. I've got bad news for you, for everyone who is a "fast" guy here, there are plenty of people faster than you. So consider how you'd like them to speak about you before you speak about others in the same way. No matter how light, expensive or how slow the rider, riding should be fun.

Would you tell someone who isn't a race car driver that they can't own or drive a ferrari because you drive your mondeo faster.

If someone can pay the bill, they have every right to own and use anything they want.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I think there is a point where it goes beyond buying something nice and crosses over into poseurland.

I witnessed another breed of 'weight saving' poseurs in San Francisco. Molteni wearing hipsters on steel retro bianchi fixed gears without brakes. Running a 46x17 on 20% gradients seems a beatch to me, and without the accesory of a break, I assume it's real hard to descend safely. (Not to mention some peoples positions on the bike, as if it's the one that they got after they rode a tricycle)

So do they, instead, avoid the hills in SF? Or, as I noticed, some have another larger rearwheel cog, but without the derailleur and shifters, do they need to manually move the chain to the other cog?

Can anyone enlighten me on the trend of riding track bikes in a city? (As if cities are the only places besides tracks where you don't have to rely on a brake)

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
justme said:
Why is this such a issue? Since when does what other people ride have any effect on anyone in this forum?

Those against people concerned with weight, or riding race wheels as trainers or calling them poseurs, or talking down about their customers that want to spend money in their store really just sound a bit jealous.

RDV, you act as though a customer not taking your advice is going against the word of God. Why are you the last word in what someone can ride. People are capable of making up their own minds. You can tell them the benefits and disadvantages of a product, but just because they don't agree with you doesn't make them wrong.

Furthermore, why do any of you care how fast someone is? As if you can beat someone on a lighter bike it makes you a better human. Why don't you all just lighten up and let people enjoy riding their bikes. I've got bad news for you, for everyone who is a "fast" guy here, there are plenty of people faster than you. So consider how you'd like them to speak about you before you speak about others in the same way. No matter how light, expensive or how slow the rider, riding should be fun.

Would you tell someone who isn't a race car driver that they can't own or drive a ferrari because you drive your mondeo faster.

If someone can pay the bill, they have every right to own and use anything they want.

You're missing the point. I have no problem with people spending money, it makes the world go round. However, the average cyclist that is obsessing over a few grams is wasting their time, and as a result I'm hearing this consulting fee arise which makes perfect sense. Time is money, and the weight weenies sure no how to waste one, if not both. As far as the wheels are concerned, I've seen more warranty issues with pre-builds that would make your head spin, especially the ones he bought. I've been in the industry a long time and more often then not people make very poor decisions when it comes to this stuff, and some people are offended when you tell them the truth. Not everyone want's to hear it, because sometimes truth hurts. I appreciate your passion, but everyone is entitled to there own opinion and not every kid in the sandbox is always going to get along. C'est la Vie.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Bala Verde,

Haven't you heard of the Bike Messenger? And/Or the Fixie culture that culminated from that? Bike Messengers have been around since the advent of the bicycle, nothing new there really. The simplicity of the fixed gear bike in the city makes for low maintenance, and if somebody tries to steel a fixed gear bike they're gonna get really hurt if they don't know what they're doing. Heck, I even ride a fixed gear in the spring to get the leg speed up in preparation for the racing season. The new trendy stuff your seeing the result of corporations banking off underground culture. Some are lame as hell, others are doing it with class.

Check out Lance in the video on a fixie! www.mashsf.com

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I guess not... I may be a little behind in the anthropology of subcultures.

So to get it straight.

'And then there was the bike messenger, who, by virtue of his profession, is the eternal bike rider. He rides his bike from A to B to deliver a variety of loads, from heavier packages to super lightweight parcels in different shapes and forms. Since they share a profession, and quite possibly recognize each other easily in the car dominated US cities, a sentiment of unity emerges, and hence a community. They know they have a similar passion, namely, to deliver precious goods in as little time as possible. They truly become the slaves of the city roads.'

Because they are on the roads so much, they understand the necessity of shaving off weight from their bikes, and in an almost Rasmussian fashion, but without the invasive UCI 6.8kg regulations, they strip their bikes of everything but the frame, a wheelset, cranks and handlebars. We all know that US cities are particularly well designed to accomodate cyclists, so who needs brakes anyway, if it saves a whopping 400g!

Just like pro riders, who share with them the many hours on the bike, they want the best and the lightest... after all it's their profession. But hey, no carbon frames (too expensive? too vulnerable in a dangerous car crash?) no helmets? (too uncool in the city?) no gears? no brakes in an area where traffic is most common?

I would almost say that pro riders should adopt those practices during a race, they for one can be sure to not encounter any traffic. I can't wait to see Cavendish without brakes when he comes in first after a mass sprint.

Anyhow, enough ranting....so since it's so cool to be reckless, hipsters are catching on and want a brakeless bike as well!

pity the world...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
"Brakes are unnecessary, they just slow you down"

-Mario Cipollini

haha good one =)

I do wonder if he had said the same thing going down the slopes of the ventoux... oh wait, by then he would have abandoned the Tour already.

I guess I will never understand the fixie culture then =(

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
As a former messenger (Boston, early 90's) I can tell you that the reason fixed gear bikes became popular with messengers is that there's so little to go wrong on them. When you're riding five days a week, 8 am to 6 pm, on bad city roads, in all kinds of weather, you find that most bike stuff just simply isn't strong enough to hold up. Derailleurs get all gunked up with snow and ice. But on a fixed gear you've got a heavy chain and no gears. A rag and some oil and the bike is clean in a minute and ready to ride tomorrow. Unless you get hit by a car or slam into pothole so hard that your frame crumples (both happened to me), you're problem-free, for months. The no brake thing is just hipster silliness though.

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
Argon Man said:
Why are so many non-professional cyclists so consumed by componentry weight? So many times I see people sending thousands on conponentry then they need simply due to savings in a few grams when they are kilos overweight!:confused:

I think that it's harmless fun. Some guys are really into their bikes, upgrades, and the latest bling. It's like guy's that like to put aftermarket stuff on their cars to add horsepower, but really can't make practical use of it.

oxlabs said:
I think that it's harmless fun. Some guys are really into their bikes, upgrades, and the latest bling. It's like guy's that like to put aftermarket stuff on their cars to add horsepower, but really can't make practical use of it.

It is more like the Vin Diesel wannabes who put a rear wing on their front wheel drive car and a fart tube exhaust to make the car sound more powerful. Then pretend they own a sports car. Poseurs.

The mention of Spinergy in the carbon wheels thread reminds me that the old Spinergys ten or so years ago may have been the point where the cycling bling trend jumped the shark. I remember all sorts of riders popping up on those notoriously crappy wheels, which were bought purely for looks. Not only was the quality bad, but there were lots of stories of sudden catastrophic failure. Still people bought them.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Yep. Remember that unbelievably stupid 4 spoke design almost ended Michele Bartoli's career, shattering his knee cap, or completely slicing it off. The details were almost non existent for obvious horrific, and legal reasons. :eek:

RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Yep. Remember that unbelievably stupid 4 spoke design almost ended Michele Bartoli's career, shattering his knee cap, or completely slicing it off. The details were almost non existent for obvious horrific, and legal reasons. :eek:

I think it was that crash that led to a UCI change in wheel regs.

I find it amazing that Spinergy is still in business. Bling trumps everything I guess.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
medium_fat%20cyclist.jpg

Trump this