• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Component's weight.

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
ElChingon said:
Ok, not the trump but close and with a team bike and near the team bus!

IMG_0617.jpg

LOL :DThat's great! Could you imagine the conversation on the bus?!?! I could see Graeme Brown leaning over to Matty Hayman saying "that's what yer gonna look like when your done racing mate!"

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
haha, both pics are great. Now that's what I call a tight fit, the only thing tighter being his skin.

The skin/lycra is under 8 bar pressure at least.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
true fans!

Ha, I laughed along with everyone else - But, I got to thinking, and I love it that guys like that are free to support their teams!

I think there is this attitude (at least here in Canada, but obviously elsewhere too) that you need to be some hardcore cyclist to be following the sport. Maybe this is because we're the only ones crazy enough? I'd love it if more people followed cycling here. As it stands, people don't understand if I try to talk about it.

I mean, it shouldn't matter if you can get up the Alpe D'Huez or not to appreciate the sport and follow it....I certainly am not 6'8" and I cannot dunk, but I'd like to think I can wear a LeBron James jersey and not have someone laugh at me.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
thebunk said:
Ha, I laughed along with everyone else - But, I got to thinking, and I love it that guys like that are free to support their teams!

I think there is this attitude (at least here in Canada, but obviously elsewhere too) that you need to be some hardcore cyclist to be following the sport. Maybe this is because we're the only ones crazy enough? I'd love it if more people followed cycling here. As it stands, people don't understand if I try to talk about it.

I mean, it shouldn't matter if you can get up the Alpe D'Huez or not to appreciate the sport and follow it....I certainly am not 6'8" and I cannot dunk, but I'd like to think I can wear a LeBron James jersey and not have someone laugh at me.

Absolutely, and I guess if it helps them loose weight too it's a good thing. And if lighter components are what it takes to keep someone cycling then I'm all for it.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I just helped a bud put together a new bike; he's something of a weight weenie, too. Granted, it was nice handling all that bling while I assembled what he couldn't (which was about 2/3 of it), but in his case I can understand it a bit -- not only does he like the best stuff, he's not in good enough shape to spin the mid-range stuff!! LOL!

Another bud, who raced MTB, learned that the best part isn't always the lightest; he looks mainly to performance, with a secondary eye on weight and bling.

Since I'm a Clyde, I don't sweat it; I pick for performance and sturdiness! Sure, I'd love to have X.0, Crossmax, carbon post, and all that; but X.9 does the same job, my 5+-inch travel FS bike weighs less than some dept. store training wheel bikes, and it's still rolling strong after more than 2 years of pounding under my big self! (and the only carbon on my bike is the spacer on top of the stem!)

The problem with weight-weenie posers comes in when riders think their checkbooks make them better riders (or better people) than you on your mid-range stuff that does 90+% of the job for 40% of the money. Now, some will say, 'spank them on the ride, show them who's what' -- I'd rather enjoy my own ride on my own terms. Boink them.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
LOL :DThat's great! Could you imagine the conversation on the bus?!?! I could see Graeme Brown leaning over to Matty Hayman saying "that's what yer gonna look like when your done racing mate!"
Is that Theo Bos in twelve months time? :-D

Ouch that's mean!

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
for me, I worked hard for many many years, and can afford to spend more then the average person. I got a carbon bike, again did i need it, most likly not, but I love it.

why do people care so much what other people got? I am new to cycling, and people seem to worry about other people status so much (including clothing!)

just get on your bike and ride
cheers

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
hotsocks3 said:
for me, I worked hard for many many years, and can afford to spend more then the average person. I got a carbon bike, again did i need it, most likly not, but I love it.

why do people care so much what other people got? I am new to cycling, and people seem to worry about other people status so much (including clothing!)

cheers

I don't think it's that. I think people are tired of the bicycle market, magazines, marketeers, websites making promises they can't keep.
Only 2 things you can measure on a bicycle, all else is subjective. Weight and price so....lighter is better, more expensive is better, even if it isn't.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
hotsocks3 said:

cheers

Another point that is lost on some people here is that myself and others on this forum that have been around the block for a long time speak with a certain amount of cynicism when it comes to weight weenies, shop trolls, industry wh0res, false technology, B.S. marketing, dubious claims of durability and/or performance, so on and so forth. This is something that is difficult to pick up on if you're new to the sport, or haven't had do deal with on a professional level.

RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Another point that is lost on some people here is that myself and others on this forum that have been around the block for a long time speak with a certain amount of cynicism when it comes to weight weenies, shop trolls, industry wh0res, false technology, B.S. marketing, dubious claims of durability and/or performance, so on and so forth. This is something that is difficult to pick up on if you're new to the sport, or haven't had do deal with on a professional level.

I second that. I have been riding, racing, working on bikes since the mid 80's and have seen a lot of good and a lot of bad. Most of the bad was driven by marketing and not engineering. Today the marketing aspect is massive and the engineering seems to be more and more cosmetic or given over to one goal...light weight. This is because the marketing is obsessed with weight and people now believe it matters way more than it actually does. There are so many people who parrot the claims of the companies as if it were a proven fact backed up with independent data.

There are many folks who are skeptical. We are not all nutters who think that there is some magical golden age (the time when we started out in the sport) and everything since then is rubbish. I am no luddite. I love my STI/Ergo and high performance clinchers, carbon frame and forks etc. I just refuse to buy into the marketing BS, status symbol, or **** measuring contest that owning the latest over priced part seems to be about.

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
posers bring it on

Sheltowee said:
We do it because we can and others can't. Same with houses, cars and boats. Success = the one with the most and best toys.

Success equals dropping 90% of the people I come across without trying and more importantly having never ever made a purchase decision based on weight or coolio factor.

So very few people around Boulder can hang with my quads :D that they don't have time to scoff at my P.O.S. FSA "carbon pro" crank that came on the bike = aluminum turd with a picture of carbon taped on it = should be embarrassing for FSA so who knows why they did it.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
I'd certainly rather hang out with the guy who thinks his bike is cool because it's light than the guy who thinks he himself is cool because he can "drop" a lot of people.

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
One faithful day at the shop, this guy and his trophy wife roll up in a 7 Series BMW.

Who would you rather deal with?
Surely you would have got stuck into the guy with the BMW and explained to him that he still had to drive at the same speed limit as the guy in the Toyota or Nissan, so why did he waste his money.

or does your thought process only work on bikes and internet forums (or is that forii?):rolleyes:

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
davidg said:
Surely you would have got stuck into the guy with the BMW and explained to him that he still had to drive at the same speed limit as the guy in the Toyota or Nissan, so why did he waste his money.
Contrary to popular belief, not all BMW owners are wealthy, or even drive like that. I have more of an issue with Somali cab drivers, and FedEx trucks than anything else.
davidg said:
or does your thought process only work on bikes and internet forums (or is that forii?):rolleyes:
How do I respond to this?..:confused:..Uh, I work in the industry now for 10 years, don't have much time to think about anything else. What is "forii"? Was that a burn on my thought process? Should I be taking offense to that? I don't know man, why would you revisit something I posted over two months ago, in which your statement has nothing to do with the original post?

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Contrary to popular belief, not all BMW owners are wealthy, or even drive like that. I have more of an issue with Somali cab drivers, and FedEx trucks than anything else.

How do I respond to this?..:confused:..Uh, I work in the industry now for 10 years, don't have much time to think about anything else. What is "forii"? Was that a burn on my thought process? Should I be taking offense to that? I don't know man, why would you revisit something I posted over two months ago, in which your statement has nothing to do with the original post?

Original post for your benefit
Why are so many non-professional cyclists so consumed by componentry weight? So many times I see people sending thousands on conponentry then they need simply due to savings in a few grams when they are kilos overweight!

My point was that you judge a rider who makes a choice on how they spend their money on the basis of what your perception of their need is, ie the social rider who spends thousands on the latest carbon.

Yet in your post in which you seem to think owning a BMW is relevant, you say you would prefer to serve that person, but don't make any judgement on the fact that he chooses to spend his money on something that he doesn't really need.

It is all about choice. So who cares what people spend their own money on.

Not trying to offend you, just pointing out the difference in your views.:confused:

PS the correct term would have been forums or fora - not forii. FWIW

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Pfff whatever Dave.:( I really don't feel like revisiting a conversation that went down over 2 months ago. I've ridden myself into a nasty cold and don't have the energy to reiterate or clarify what I my point was. I just thought it was kinda lame for you to somehow judge my "thought process" when you weren't even part of the original conversation that went down a long time ago.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Yeah, really....Or just a WUM with nothing better to do than dig up old posts that they don't fully understand.

It almost seems like a sport in-itself here on the forum, to take a couple sentences completely out of context, and then try to make up some BS argument. No wonder I haven't spent much time on here since Summer is in full swing. I'd rather be riding, but this friggin' cold hit me hard a couple days ago. BroDeal, 1200+ posts?!?!?!?!? When do you find time to ride?

RDV4ROUBAIX said:
It almost seems like a sport in-itself here on the forum, to take a couple sentences completely out of context, and then try to make up some BS argument. No wonder I haven't spent much time on here since Summer is in full swing. I'd rather be riding, but this friggin' cold hit me hard a couple days ago. BroDeal, 1200+ posts?!?!?!?!? When do you find time to ride?

Been spending too much time working on the computer. I have not been riding enough. :( June has been unusually rainy too. I have to get some good mileage in during July...

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
I say thanks to the weight weenies. There obsession with buying over-priced bike parts means that stuff that was ridden in the tour only a few years ago is now dirt cheap.

Look at the bikes Merckx rode. I wish I could ride that fast on something that must have easily weighed over 20lbs.