• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador Isolates Self

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Alberto may be the strongest rider, but it's clear he still has a lot to learn.

To watch him go off the front while two-on-two with the Schlecks, taking time from Wiggo who was with the ever-faithful Lance, and drop Kloden, Johan must have had a heart attack!

He expended energy needlessly ahead of the ITT, sped up Andy and Frank, who put time into Lance and Kloden and took 2nd and 3rd respectively (better positions for the ITT too).

Alberto, que fuiste pensando? Necesitas aprender muchas ser un lider del equipo!

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Psalmon said:
Alberto may be the strongest rider, but it's clear he still has a lot to learn.

To watch him go off the front while two-on-two with the Schlecks, taking time from Wiggo who was with the ever-faithful Lance, and drop Kloden, Johan must have had a heart attack!

He expended energy needlessly ahead of the ITT, sped up Andy and Frank, who put time into Lance and Kloden and took 2nd and 3rd respectively (better positions for the ITT too).

Alberto, que fuiste pensando? Necesitas aprender muchas ser un lider del equipo!

I have not seen the race yet; but, if he did indeed pull the two Schleks along as I think you are saying then I agree 'He has a lot to learn' (think someone said that). If he tried to attack and drop them and the caught on his wheel but he kept going dropping Kloden then that is real dumb helping gap your teammates for no time advantage (unless he is truly afraid of LA and Kloden which I doubt). Sounds like a stupid move; but, I need to see the race.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Contad!ck will forget about all of this when the race is over (or at least by tomorrow morning). He will go on to more stupid tactics with his next team.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
goober said:
I have not seen the race yet; but, if he did indeed pull the two Schleks along as I think you are saying then I agree 'He has a lot to learn' (think someone said that). If he tried to attack and drop them and the caught on his wheel but he kept going dropping Kloden then that is real dumb helping gap your teammates for no time advantage (unless he is truly afraid of LA and Kloden which I doubt). Sounds like a stupid move; but, I need to see the race.

He tried to drop them, but didn't continue with his acceleration or even try a re-acceleration. He just didn't have it in the tank to leave the brothers behind, and should have known better.

In fact, there was absolutely no reason to try to drop the Shreks.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
He tried to drop them, but didn't continue with his acceleration or even try a re-acceleration. He just didn't have it in the tank to leave the brothers behind, and should have known better.

The best thing Contador could have achieved was maybe 20-30 secs which he would surely have lost on the descent....bloody stupid I say again.

I've never viewed Contador as a tactical genius but I thought he would at least be better than average.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
I work in the cable industry, and was able to watch parts of the race today. I had just said to the other cycling fan here "I guess Contador won't attack." Seconds later, he gave it a go.

To me, it didn't seem like the best idea. Contador was putting time into 2eme place, and the best the Schlecks can do tomorrow is limit the damage. It seemed like the better play for Contador would be to save everything he can for tomorrow.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Was it the smartest move, no but he was trying to drop the schlecks about Kloden he was cracking any way so I wouldn't say he would've lasted over the top of the climb. Anyway contador's tactics will get him the yellow jersey in paris, so he's not complaining.

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
franciep10 said:
Was it the smartest move, no but he was trying to drop the schlecks about Kloden he was cracking any way so I wouldn't say he would've lasted over the top of the climb. Anyway contador's tactics will get him the yellow jersey in paris, so he's not complaining.

you need teammates and its still a long ways to Paris. AC has a lot to learn. I love how that comment will follow him for the next few seasons...

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
klodifan said:
you need teammates and its still a long ways to Paris. AC has a lot to learn. I love how that comment will follow him for the next few seasons...

A lot too learn...I too love that comment...he is on his way to his 4th consecutive grand tour victory. When will he have the needed experience?

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
TRDean said:
A lot too learn...I too love that comment...he is on his way to his 4th consecutive grand tour victory. When will he have the needed experience?

If he wins this year, and he probably will, it will be his first legit TDF victory.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
TRDean said:

I do not think anyone is questioning his ability or experience to win. You are missing the point. The comment is 'he has a lot to learn'.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
goober said:
I do not think anyone is questioning his ability or experience to win. You are missing the point. The comment is 'he has a lot to learn'.

you don't need to learn much more when you have won every grand tour you started in the last two years.

that's the point you're missing.

and he needs a team?
why? he didn't have one until after verbier. worked out pretty fine for him.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
goober said:

No...no he doesn't. He is there to win the dang race...not help. LA would never have helped. That is not what they pay him for...that is what they pay Klodi for. Klodi was cooked...period. I am not missing the point...the tour or any other pro cycling event is not a "feel good story". Since LA has come back all everyone seems to want is gifting of stages, yellow jerseys to aging racers who deserve it, etc. This is BS!! AC is there to win which is what he is doing.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
He should thank his TTT for his position heading into Verbier. The team has carried this kid to the brink. Contador should be thanking Bruneel for this title. I doubt he will.....

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
you don't need to learn much more when you have won every grand tour you started in the last two years.

and he needs a team?

No I was not missing anything - did you read my first sentence? Relax Tonto.
You cannot come to the tour without a team (but I am sure you know that). So, the TTT he did not have a team? Enough... you are not worth my time.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:

and he needs a team?

We'll see how well he does when he's not backed by the strongest team or most brilliant director...which may be the case next year.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
TRDean said:
No...no he doesn't. He is there to win the dang race...not help. LA would never have helped. That is not what they pay him for...that is what they pay Klodi for. Klodi was cooked...period. I am not missing the point...the tour or any other pro cycling event is not a "feel good story". Since LA has come back all everyone seems to want is gifting of stages, yellow jerseys to aging racers who deserve it, etc. This is BS!! AC is there to win which is what he is doing.

There was nothing about that acceleration that could have helped him win the race. the title of this thread was accurate, in fact. He put himself into more danger. Unfortunately, the Skreks didn't have enough mountain left to convert his stupidity.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
JB said early in this tour that Contador is his own worst enemy and the only rider that can beat himself. All race he has had that cocky look that looks like he is itching to attack but JB has smartly held him back as there is no need. Yesterday he told the NYT that he didn't need any help from his teammates and that he was fine by himself. One day he might learn. To bad his selfish act today hurt Kloden's chances for the podium. Put Contador on a bad team that lets him do what he wants and he could potentially be beaten.

What is scary about Contador is that he is only 26 and he will get stronger physically and hopefully mentally.

A great rider but he sounds like another Cavendish. Notice no one ever said anything nice about his character or person. I used to be a big fan of Contador but with all the things he has said and done since January it seems apparent that he is a bad person and not someone that is a good teammate. He makes me really root for Andy Schleck. I would love to see Cont, Vino and the Kazaks try to win the Tour by themselves next year.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
He should thank his TTT for his position heading into Verbier. The team has carried this kid to the brink. Contador should be thanking Bruneel for this title. I doubt he will.....

the ttt only meant he's in yellow a few days earlier than he would have in another team.

the rest he did alone. little help from paulinho, none from the rest until verbier. hell, they even worked against him on stage 2.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
goober said:
No I was not missing anything - did you read my first sentence? Relax Tonto.
You cannot come to the tour without a team (but I am sure you know that). So, the TTT he did not have a team? Enough... you are not worth my time.

Look here goober...he had a team in the TTT...so did Klodi, LL, and LA...and it put them to the top of the overall. AC put time into everyone except AS and FS. Good ride by him.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
pickettt said:
We'll see how well he does when he's not backed by the strongest team or most brilliant director...which may be the case next year.

having the best rider in the world doesn't make you the best director.
look at the 2006 tour of discovery channel for an example of a bad ds.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Funny how a small little dig of no more than a few hundred meters gets AC in the doghouse with everyone. Burning matches, etc. Really funny!!

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
The only people he seriously put time into was Wiggens, Kloden, and LA. One of those guys got Contador there, and the other put Wiggens further back on his own.

Final analysis........ Contador successfully attacked his teammates AGAIN.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:

and he needs a team?

He didnt have much support in the Giro last year either.

TRENDING THREADS