• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador Junior Team

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Fidolix

BANNED
Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
airstream said:
Contador hasn't ever been similar to a benefactor. If the best happened he is a two-faced Janus in who black coloring vastly prevails over white one. Apparently, cycling school is another trick in the fight for WT license.

I think you could write some pretty good conspiracy novels. Don´t waste your talent.

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
This is a decision that parents of juniors will have to think about very carefully and balance the kudos of being picked by a development team with the mess the sport is in right now. Some parents really won't care (just look at all the football/baseball/swimming "development" that happens under the noses of parents - they don;t give a damn), but some will. Just like some riders didn't care whether they doped themselves or not, and others did - it's a personal and morale choice.

There is no legislation/fit-for-purpose checking in youth development and there are still many shady characters involved (in the US, at least) in the USAC development team and the Specialized/Garmin-type dev teams too. Which parents are strong enough to ask the right questions and even refuse their kid to join, as an example, the Specialized dev team because Dylan Casey is part of the team? Same goes for Contador: do you want your child being mentored in an environment linked with Contador, Riis and gang?

As a parent of a junior myself, my opinion right now is that I wouldn't want my kid in the sport under the wing of any of the ex-pro characters out there unless they have publicly confessed and have been very active in uncovering this complete mess. Question is: who are they???

airstream said:
Contador hasn't ever been similar to a benefactor. If the best happened he is a two-faced Janus in who black coloring vastly prevails over white one. Apparently, cycling school is another trick in the fight for WT license.

You are in need of some serious therapy. Did Contador steal your girlfriend? Steal the family fortune? Sleep with your sister? Or is it simply that he denied Andy his opportunity for Tour success and you can't get over it?;)

Seriously though, I didn't realize that opening a development school was one of the prerequisites for gaining a WT license, especially in this case since the school is being opened by an individual rider, not by the team itself. Enlighten me please.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Angliru said:
You are in need of some serious therapy. Did Contador steal your girlfriend? Steal the family fortune? Sleep with your sister? Or is it simply that he denied Andy his opportunity for Tour success and you can't get over it?;)

Seriously though, I didn't realize that opening a development school was one of the prerequisites for gaining a WT license, especially in this case since the school is being opened by an individual rider, not by the team itself. Enlighten me please.

What? I'm more than generous towards him since I recognize Contador is a so be it great rider despite being an abhorrent doper and liar. Sister? Lol, he is doing much worse by willingly trying to destroy any positive anti-doping changes.

Fidolix

BANNED
Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
airstream said:
What? I'm more than generous towards him since I recognize Contador is a so be it great rider despite being an abhorrent doper and liar. Sister? Lol, he is doing much worse by willingly trying to destroy any positive anti-doping changes.

"Seriously though, I didn't realize that opening a development school was one of the prerequisites for gaining a WT license, especially in this case since the school is being opened by an individual rider, not by the team itself. Enlighten me please."

And you completely failed to answer his question, yet again.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Contador raped my faith in clean sport. Are you satisfied with my answer? Last time he tried to solve the problem in a team way and established cycling school in Israel. It didn't help and he got banned ignominiously. So Contador decided to change strategy a bit and do something induvidually. What's wrong with that? :rolleyes:

Why don't you like anyone??! This is a great question actually :D

airstream said:
Contador raped my faith in clean sport. Are you satisfied with my answer? Last time he tried to solve the problem in a team way and established cycling school in Israel. It didn't help and he got banned ignominiously. So Contador decided to change strategy a bit and do something induvidually. What's wrong with that? :rolleyes:

Why don't you like anyone??! This is a great question actually :D

If I'm not mistaken Riis and Riis Cycling established the cycling school in Israel, not Contador.

Now you've stated that you believe Andy was on EPO when he made the podium at the 2007 Giro, so can I surmise that as long as he stays quiet about his alleged transgression, but continues to protest his brother's innocence in his second offense that they're free and clear from your wrath?

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Angliru said:
If I'm not mistaken Riis and Riis Cycling established the cycling school in Israel, not Contador.
No difference. We say Riis implying Contador and because of Contador. We learnt this story with in Basso in 2006. He was cleared by CONI and instantly stated that he would try to make the Giro-Tour double once again. He had cheated, but OP didn't teach him anything. I'm absolutely sure if Contador had been acquitted, he would have done the same.
Now you've stated that you believe Andy was on EPO when he made the podium at the 2007 Giro, so can I surmise that as long as he stays quiet about his alleged transgression, but continues to protest his brother's innocence in his second offense that they're free and clear from your wrath?

I never defended them in terms of doping. Sport is too big. I will easily follow this even without cheering for anyone. Though, IMO, if Andy had been pressed by media like Contador, he wouldn't have acted like the cheapest ~~tch. Explain to me on who his lies are directed? His managers know he's a doper. So his fans do. Sponsors know too. Why the hell he keeps lying? Why doesn't he want to stay on the way of repentance? I can understand Florecita who fanatically roots for Contador 'cos he is the only thing that sticks her to cycling. But to support a rider whose winning key is doping suppliers because of what he carefully hides his methodics, trainers and numbers. That's not normal. More precisely, there are two ways: to dislike him and to support him without showing interest to doping and without reading clinic at all — to percieve cycling exceptionally like show. But to defend him from doping perspective is beyond me.

airstream said:
No difference. We say Riis implying Contador and because of Contador. We learnt this story with in Basso in 2006. He was cleared by CONI and instantly stated that he would try to make the Giro-Tour double once again. He had cheated, but OP didn't teach him anything. I'm absolutely sure if Contador had been acquitted, he would have done the same.

I never defended them in terms of doping. Sport is too big. I will easily follow this even without cheering for anyone. Though, IMO, if Andy had been pressed by media like Contador, he wouldn't have acted like the cheapest ~~tch. Explain to me on who his lies are directed? His managers know he's a doper. So his fans do. Sponsors know too. Why the hell he keeps lying? Why doesn't he want to stay on the way of repentance? I can understand Florecita who fanatically roots for Contador 'cos he is the only thing that sticks her to cycling. But to support a rider whose winning key is doping suppliers because of what he carefully hides his methodics, trainers and numbers. That's not normal. More precisely, there are two ways: to dislike him and to support him without showing interest to doping and without reading clinic at all — to percieve cycling exceptionally like show. But to defend him from doping perspective is beyond me.

Sorry fella, I'm very confused, does your hate towards AC is because he's a doper, but then you support Andy who's also a doper. Instead why don't you just say YES I hate Contador, I don't like him, YES I like Andy, like his style and they way he grows his hair, or whatever the reason, Florecita has the guts to state her reasons behind why she roots for Alberto, no need to hide behind the Oh he's a doper and that's why.

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
This assumes that he has abandoned the dark-side. And there is slightly more than 'clen from a steak', you know the Puerto problems, the CERA Giro issue, the 2007 TDF, the hanging out with Saiz, Hog and Riis, the Pepe Marti issue, the plasticizers, the TUES and of course the head issue.

Would you let your children hang out with an ex-rapist or drug dealer who may or may not have given up raping people or dealing drugs?

While I maintain your doper=child molester comparison is way off base, I agree that I am making an assumption that Contador and Co. have indeed turned away from the dark side. I leaped at the optimistic explanation rather than the pessimistic one.

I think optimism may be correct here though, since it would appear so ridiculous to start a junior team almost immediately after the fall of Armstrong and supposed "turning of the page" on the cycling doping culture. It is either a truly positive move in the right direction, or the most thinly veiled and shamelessly self-serving strategy we've seen since Cancer Shield 1999 (TM).

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
Cancer shield is replaced by youth cycling shield.

Not the same thing. Armstrong wielded his cancer shield to deflect any doping accusations. Contador isn't, since he is already a convicted doper that already served a ban.

Besides, in these times when pro-cycling is being dragged through the gutter, could there be a less effective "shield" than sponsoring a cycling team!?

Imagine, if any one of those youths independently decides to dope, and gets caught, everyone will be pointing the finger at Alberto, convinced he had something to do with it. So far from a "shield", it is actually increasing his risk of absorbing even more doping accusations.

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
airstream said:
Contador raped my faith in clean sport. Are you satisfied with my answer? :D

Contador was busted in 2010. Are you telling us you had "faith in clean sport" before the 2010 TdF? You thought cycling was clean at that point?

Festina. Puerto. Floyd. Millar. Heras. Valverde. Di Luca. And on and on...

But you still had faith in clean sport until Contador got caught with a minute about of clenbuterol, and suddenly that faith was "raped"?

SiAp1984 said:
I had a really good laugh when I read this article:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contador-to-launch-team-sponsored-by-specialized-in-2013

AC sponsors a junior team managed by a former Banesto rider from the early/mid 90ies. One of the last clear members of the "old generation" - programmed by guys like Saiz, Fuentes, Marti, Riis, and Bruyneel over the years - starts a junior team. That's what change in cycling looks like...

Sure as hell would be better with a Basson sponsored Junior team managed by Betsy Andreu.

gatete said:
Sorry fella, I'm very confused, does your hate towards AC is because he's a doper, but then you support Andy who's also a doper. Instead why don't you just say YES I hate Contador, I don't like him, YES I like Andy, like his style and they way he grows his hair, or whatever the reason, Florecita has the guts to state her reasons behind why she roots for Alberto, no need to hide behind the Oh he's a doper and that's why.

Lol airstream is funny :D and a hypocrite.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
gatete said:

Personal preferences should imply honesty or what? I hugely dislike Contador as masquerade he makes out of his doping practice, that's the way it is. It is a terrible situation when one likes and feels its rightness while cheating. That's not just... Christianly. I'm all for clean cycling no matter what riders would have to quite. Very hypocritical indeed.

TRENDING THREADS