• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador not given the time of Vino's group?

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 15, 2009
Visit site
Climbing said:
I always though so, but he lost a lot of time.
I see him staying with Contador and Andy, but where could he regain time? Can Liquigas support him strongly enough on mountains?

Liquigas's support is good enough. I think the problem is whether basso is strong enough after giro.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Climbing said:
I always though so, but he lost a lot of time.
I see him staying with Contador and Andy, but where could he regain time? Can Liquigas support him strongly enough on mountains?

It's funny people are saying LA didn't lose too much time. But Basso did, there is not that big of a difference between the two, just a minute difference, of which most came out of the prologue. And I see Basso as the better climber

lancewillwin8 said:
Well Armstrong has had all of his bad luck for the tour and is still only a couple of minutes down. I cant wait to see what bad luck contador will have in the weeks to come.

It appears your lord and master's string of good luck ended at his 2nd retirement. Since his return he's crashed multiple times, unsuccessfully attempted to snatch a tour win from a teammate who was obviously stronger,
NOT WON ANY RACE OF ANY SIGNIFICANCE, and is now, according to today's USATODAY, passing on responsibility for his losing time on stage 3 to his team's failed strategy. As was stated earlier, karma is a beeeyotch!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
It appears your lord and master's string of good luck ended at his 2nd retirement. Since his return he's crashed multiple times, unsuccessfully attempted to snatch a tour win from a teammate who was obviously stronger,
NOT WON ANY RACE OF ANY SIGNIFICANCE, and is now, according to today's USATODAY, passing on responsibility for his losing time on stage 3 to his team's failed strategy. As was stated earlier, karma is a beeeyotch!

Link? For lance to blame his team they must of been bad!:rolleyes: Fact is he was not that great on cobbles.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Angliru said:
is now, according to today's USATODAY, passing on responsibility for his losing time on stage 3 to his team's failed strategy. As was stated earlier, karma is a beeeyotch!

In this article some interesting things are said by Armstrong:
"In hindsight, as a team, I think we all agree we could have ridden differently yesterday," Armstrong said. "You can look at the position we went into the cobbles (in), you can look at perhaps the amount of the time we spent on the sides, which I think has an effect."
To paraphrase: "It isn't my own fault that I rode there, no it is the team tactics its fault"

This has nothing to do with team tactics, or riding as a team, it has more to do with your own inexperience in riding on the pavé and your own choice of riding in the gutter, where it is perhaps easier to ride than on top of the crown, but you get more chance of flats.

Link:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/cycling/tourdefrance/2010-07-07-fourth-stage-petacchi_N.htm

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Climbing said:
I know i risk being flayed alive, but I never considered LA a true candidate for winning TdF, not staying with Contador, Andy and (imho) Basso in top climbings.

You'd only get flayed at sports coverage outlets, eg, Versus, ESPN, that have knowledge of Armstrong but no knowledge of cycling. Around here, a top 10 for LA would be a strong result.

On second thought, you could post that at rbr's forums, they might ban you for that! :D

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Barrus said:
In this article some interesting things are said by Armstrong:

To paraphrase: "It isn't my own fault that I rode there, no it is the team tactics its fault"

This has nothing to do with team tactics, or riding as a team, it has more to do with your own inexperience in riding on the pavé and your own choice of riding in the gutter, where it is perhaps easier to ride than on top of the crown, but you get more chance of flats.

Link:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/cycling/tourdefrance/2010-07-07-fourth-stage-petacchi_N.htm

Funny isn't it, I thought the main tactic for coping with cobbles was to be at or near the front, anywhere else and you risk being brought down by crashes in front of you. So Radio Shack didn't understand this basic principle?

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Angliru said:

You left out a federal investigation, Landis, interpol, and violent diarrhea.

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Vino has a history

Did ANYONE besides Contador believe that Vino would truly ride as a superdomestique? He does the same thing every year. Says he'll ride for the team leader, then attacks at will. Personally, I find it totally entertaining, but I think that was a rude awakening for Contador at the end of Stage 3. Funny that his own words ("my radio didn't work, that's why I didn't follow team orders") came back to bite him in the chamois.

May 31, 2010
Visit site
SoCalCyclingfan said:
Did ANYONE besides Contador believe that Vino would truly ride as a superdomestique? He does the same thing every year. Says he'll ride for the team leader, then attacks at will. Personally, I find it totally entertaining, but I think that was a rude awakening for Contador at the end of Stage 3. Funny that his own words ("my radio didn't work, that's why I didn't follow team orders") came back to bite him in the chamois.

vino can't help himself, he is like a drunk, "no more beer, no more beer",

"vino, fancy a beer?"

"absolutely!"

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Black-Balled said:
I am inclined to agree: Vino isn't going to help anyone but Vino, on Vino's Team. Trust me, he says those words hourly!

IMO, Contador's 2010 and 2009 TOurs are gonna real similar...el Pistolero is gonna be el Lone Rangero.

I agree. should make for some great fireworks. Vino isnt helping anyone but himself.

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
one for , frizzle,chisa and socal...............uh wrong, Vino will and has been a good teamate for Berto, he has allready proved it earlier in the year, but whatever you can read whatever you want in the last 300 meters of stage 3, its got to be a lance thing, he loses time and you have to find another avenue to vent your frustration......:eek:

by the way ill hit you guys back after the wkend and see how you feel about Vino then , cant wait to hear the spin when Vino sits on armstrong and berto is up the road.............:p

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
brianf7 said:
Maybe Vinos radio was switched off he wanted the minor placing.

Stuff Alberto he's just a passinger. there will be more friction before the tour is over.

if vino sees a chance to win, he will go for it, he has more power on that team than LA did
think lemond/hinault 1986

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
You misread me.

lagartija said:
one for , frizzle,chisa and socal...............uh wrong, Vino will and has been a good teamate for Berto, he has allready proved it earlier in the year, but whatever you can read whatever you want in the last 300 meters of stage 3, its got to be a lance thing, he loses time and you have to find another avenue to vent your frustration......:eek:

by the way ill hit you guys back after the wkend and see how you feel about Vino then , cant wait to hear the spin when Vino sits on armstrong and berto is up the road.............:p

I don't have any frustrations to vent. I love watching Vino race, and as I said, I find him completely entertaining. If he plays the good teammate to Contador this weekend, it won't bother me at all. I want to see a good, strategic race in the mountains with all the GC contenders attacking. I'm just saying that Vino hasn't been able to do it for Ullrich or Kloden for 3 weeks straight, and he has won a GT in the past, so he may decide to go for it at some point. And it wouldn't be out of character in any way.

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
how is it that so many folks see vino as having anywhere near the kind of form necessary to win this tour? where do you come up with this stuff?:confused:

vino has imo slightly less chance of a podium finish than lanceypants. if he makes the top 10 as a super domestique, that would be considered an epic performance.

he will play teammate until the end. i hope he gets a chance to attack for a stage victory, that would be awesome!.

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
riobonito92 said:
Accepting as the truth that Contador broke a spoke with 30 km to go, did he make the correct decision not to change bikes? - Surely they could have chosen a good non-pave spot to do a quick bike change and AC would have rejoined the same group.

Presumably the wheel became progressively less true the further he continued - so there may not have been an initial problem - but as soon as the tyre began to rub against the frame (if it did) it would have to explode sooner or later.

I been thinking about this and just cannot see that AC did not take a hige risk by not making a change.

could his team car had reached him easily and in time through those narrow roads ?
was Alberto Contador's radio working ok ?

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
spanky wanderlust said:
how is it that so many folks see vino as having anywhere near the kind of form necessary to win this tour? where do you come up with this stuff?:confused:

vino has imo slightly less chance of a podium finish than lanceypants. if he makes the top 10 as a super domestique, that would be considered an epic performance.

he will play teammate until the end. i hope he gets a chance to attack for a stage victory, that would be awesome!.

um.. this is vino he probably has 4 litres of blood ready for the alps.

SpartacusRox

BANNED
May 6, 2010
Visit site
lancewillwin8 said:
um.. this is vino he probably has 4 litres of blood ready for the alps.

I agree that Vino will play the team mate until the end. Astana is his team, he has a personal interest in them succeeding and he will do all he can to make that happen so I see him working his *** off for Contador for as long as he is able to.

In relation to LAnce I disagree, I see him in second place on the podium barring crashes. losing Frank is going to be a big dent in Andy's plans I fear.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
One can write a PhD on "Why Lance fans hate Vino"? Vino should have seriously offended them or their totem at some point of time... I mean, frankly, can't remember that any of Vino fans said that LA is a doper and should retire after the FLandisGate :cool: