• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador not given the time of Vino's group?

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Official results:

Standing Rider Rider number bib Team Time Gaps
1. HUSHOVD Thor 95 CERVELO TEST TEAM 4h 49' 38"
2. THOMAS Geraint 39 SKY PRO CYCLING 4h 49' 38" + 00' 00"
3. EVANS Cadel 121 BMC RACING TEAM 4h 49' 38" + 00' 00"
4. HESJEDAL Ryder 54 GARMIN - TRANSITIONS 4h 49' 38" + 00' 00"
5. SCHLECK Andy 11 TEAM SAXO BANK 4h 49' 38" + 00' 00"
6. CANCELLARA Fabian 13 TEAM SAXO BANK 4h 49' 38" + 00' 00"
7. VAN SUMMEREN Johan 58 GARMIN - TRANSITIONS 4h 50' 31" + 00' 53"
8. WIGGINS Bradley 31 SKY PRO CYCLING 4h 50' 31" + 00' 53"
9. VAN DEN BROECK Jurgen 101 OMEGA PHARMA - LOTTO 4h 50' 31" + 00' 53"
10. VINOKOUROV Alexandre 9 ASTANA 4h 50' 31" + 00' 53"
11. MENCHOV Denis 191 RABOBANK 4h 50' 31" + 00' 53"
12. ROCHE Nicolas 81 AG2R LA MONDIALE 4h 50' 31" + 00' 53"
13. CONTADOR Alberto 1 ASTANA 4h 50' 51" + 01' 13"

Alberto Contador had puncture within the final last 3 KM, so why not the same time of Vino's group? :confused:

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Slight tactical mishap by Astana. With a little more awareness of the situation, Bertie could have pulled up within the last 3km and done a wheel change and would have got the same time as the Vino group. The Astana DS should have known better.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Maybe Vinos radio was switched off he wanted the minor placing.

Stuff Alberto he's just a passinger. there will be more friction before the tour is over.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
brianf7 said:
Maybe Vinos radio was switched off he wanted the minor placing.

Stuff Alberto he's just a passinger. there will be more friction before the tour is over.

I am inclined to agree: Vino isn't going to help anyone but Vino, on Vino's Team. Trust me, he says those words hourly!

IMO, Contador's 2010 and 2009 TOurs are gonna real similar...el Pistolero is gonna be el Lone Rangero.

Black-Balled said:
I am inclined to agree: Vino isn't going to help anyone but Vino, on Vino's Team. Trust me, he says those words hourly!

IMO, Contador's 2010 and 2009 TOurs are gonna real similar...el Pistolero is gonna be el Lone Rangero.

I think that's correct. He's going to have to race on his own again.

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
Animal said:
I think that's correct. He's going to have to race on his own again.

I hope not. But, with Vino's history...

What do you think AC does next season? Any chance that he joins RS once Lance retires?

May 5, 2009
Visit site
ManInFull said:
I hope not. But, with Vino's history...

What do you think AC does next season? Any chance that he joins RS once Lance retires?

AC back to hog/pharmstrong team??!! after all that happened??! are you kidding?!! well, one never knows, but dopador would be inredible stupid to do so... but at the end, he will follow the money...

I think you people are reading a whole helluva lot into about 500 meters of a single stage.

Vino rode himself cross-eyed over the final 10k to get Contador closer to the A. Schleck group, and Contador only got detached in the last K. You could see he crossed the line with a rear flat. That had to have just happened as you can lose 13 seconds almost immediately with a rear puncture, especially if the group is at 45-50 kph and you have to shut it down. Any further out and that gap would easily have been much higher.

Also, realistically, there's little chance Vino knew Contador was off: the team car had been pulled from behind the group, Contador and Vino were at opposite ends of the group, and Vino doesn't have eyes in the back of his head. The only way he would know is if Contador radioed the team car and Vino in fact heard them, all while going flat out down the corridor of sound that is the final k of a GT stage. Regardless, you just aren't listening to radios at that point in a stage.

I'm no Vino apologist, but I think suggesting this was Vino trying to dump Contador is going a bit too far out on the limb.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Climb_In_The_Drops said:
I wish AC gets his story sorted out. He claims he had a woobly wheel that was rubbing against the brake and prevented him from standing while pedaling the last 30KM or so. Really? I guess AC never figure out how to operate his brake quick release and the climb that we could not ride out of the saddle is pure BS as I saw him out of the saddle numerous times during the telecast. I think he blew at the end but that's not something u want your competition to know.

my thoughts exactly. contador and wind. and hard 200k+ racing and he always has trouble.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
MacRoadie said:
...I'm no Vino apologist, but I think suggesting this was Vino trying to dump Contador is going a bit too far out on the limb.

I believe Conti had a broken spoke for the last 20k+...read that on forum.cyclingnews.com!:p

Not saying Vino has showed his self-allegiance yet, but if he finds himself in the top 10 going into the mtns...we will see.

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
what history with vino?? He always worked very hard for ullrich when vino already was a big rider.

Well, it seems that Vino would just randomly attack, but no GC contendors would follow him because he wasn't seen as much of a threat. I hope that you are right. I want to see him fully support AC. AC deserves that after last year.

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
my thoughts exactly. contador and wind. and hard 200k+ racing and he always has trouble.

Yeah, based on everything I've read in the past 24 hours, my guess is that he was just dropped. I've heard that he had a flat, a broken spoke, rubbing brakes, etc. I mean come on.

ManInFull said:
Yeah, based on everything I've read in the past 24 hours, my guess is that he was just dropped. I've heard that he had a flat, a broken spoke, rubbing brakes, etc. I mean come on.
You may have heard many things, but the only thing Contador has said, as far as I know, is that a broken spoke caused his wheel to get wobblier and wobblier, causing the brake to rub. Contador or Vino said the problem got progressively worse.

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
this thread is picking up where the wsj article thread left off.

I agree, folks are reading a whole myriad of soap opera storylines into the ending of the stage.

I just hope AC gets a couple of easy days in before the weekend.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Take a look at the link in the Rider Transfers thread. Alberto has indicated that he will re-sign with Astana. They are finalizing negotiations now. It is reported to be for 3 years. Unless that story is totally false, things between AC and Vino must be fine (which both AC and Vino have said all along - they have both described an "excellent relationship").

I am a Vino fan, so I will be biased, but I think Vino has always gotten more criticism than he deserves. He can't have been that poor of a teammate to Ullrich and Kloeden. The guys are all still friends. Vino is still friends with a lot of his former teammates (excluding Kashechkin).

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Climb_In_The_Drops said:
Don't mistake good guy with always managing to do something really dumb during a GT. He is entertaining in the same way Claudio Chiappucci was.

Well, I will admit that Vino does sometimes let his emotions get the best of him. That is both a curse and a credit, part of who he is.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
if you consider vino's racing dumb it would seem obvious you either dont follow professional cycling or are..well blind.

TRENDING THREADS