• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cookson is worse for cycling than McQuaid

Page 54 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dear Wiggo said:
I had been given the impression from posts here that Cookson was perceived as a go getter who got BC back on its feet?

I am sure he is/was generally quite well regarded for his successful British Cycling admin. However, on reading Conor McGrane's comments, where he shafts McQuaid fairly solidly, he cannot also as an Irishman himself risk endorsing Cookson more than he did by supporting his election against his own countryman McQuaid. Cookson was, after all, the only other candidate and the choice was obvious at the time.

I am sure Conor McGrane is a very genuine man too, but underlying most relationships between Ireland and the UK there is a question of politics and shared history. He does seem to hope that Cookson will do better than McQuaid, despite his reservations as to how effective he will be. I would like to think we all do. There's no future in hoping people will fail to meet objectives we share.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
strong no-agenda comments from Dr. McGrane.

On doping in cycling:
?My main motivation was knowing that underage lads going over to the continent were being exposed to doping,? he said.
?From what guys told me, it was blatantly obvious that there were guys doping to their teeth with the knowledge of teams and with the knowledge of race organisers.?

On Cookson:
Thus far McGrane feels his tenure has been disappointing.
?To be perfectly honest, I don?t think he has been much of an improvement,?
if Cookson doesn?t deliver before the next Congress, then I hope someone else is voted in instead.?

On the passport:
?Personally I am not convinced the bio passport works particularly well. That is his main claim to fame.

?It is a bit like the early days of blood testing. Maybe they will refine it as it goes on.

?But certainly I don?t think it is delivering anywhere as much as being claimed. Bear in mind that Armstrong passed his.?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
wrinklyvet said:
I am sure he is/was generally quite well regarded for his successful British Cycling admin. However, on reading Conor McGrane's comments, where he shafts McQuaid fairly solidly, he cannot also as an Irishman himself risk endorsing Cookson more than he did by supporting his election against his own countryman McQuaid. Cookson was, after all, the only other candidate and the choice was obvious at the time.

I am sure Conor McGrane is a very genuine man too, but underlying most relationships between Ireland and the UK there is a question of politics and shared history. He does seem to hope that Cookson will do better than McQuaid, despite his reservations as to how effective he will be. I would like to think we all do. There's no future in hoping people will fail to meet objectives we share.

What an underhanded racist post! You are calling Dr McGrane a racist because he is Irish and Cookson is British. What utter bollix!!

Benotti69 said:
What an underhanded racist post! You are calling Dr McGrane a racist because he is Irish and Cookson is British. What utter bollix!!

No, racism does not enter into it. I am saying patriotism cannot be totally ignored by most people. Tell me how much you know about the delicate issues of (as an Irishman) supporting an English applicant against one's own countryman in that election. My hunch is that it was a brave thing to do and would not have been done if it was not fully justified. I think McGrane was a fair and honest man, not to allow such matters to cloud his judgement. That's definitely not calling him a racist. It's not accusing him of anything at all. You are the one who fails to understand.

Great article

Basecase said:

It pleasing to see such realism quoted. McGrane is stating that in 2012 and 2013 youngsters were returning, as they always have done, from the continent with tales of other riders and team management encouraging, or at best, turning a blind eye to doping. Cookson should be all over the BC/Sky machine like a rash. He has the levers of power and could be taking any number of effective actions. Instead we get inaction and a commission. I actually have more faith in CIRC telling it how it is than his other commission that is not coming up with the goods.

Currently Cookson is the master of spin. Phat left him a handy legacy in terms of a blood passport that does wonders for PR but little that can't be reversed with a bit of care and attention by those undergoing the modest intelligence test and a well disposed National Federation. Remember Geriant Thomas being highlighted as a cause for concern when the first tranch of names was revealed. The Sky fanboys all scotched at the thought the Brit could be juicing, but I bet that was one hell of a wake up call for the rest on the team and they spent quite a lot sorting out blood parameters to ensure nobody else in their care fluctuated so much they brought attention on themselves. It will not have stopped Sky doing what the Irish youngsters experienced at the lower levels, but sure as hell, they will not trigger the blood passport. [ JTL was the single problem - out of parameters before they managed him to consistency - but again - a great body to throw under the bus for a bit of positive PR. Well worth his salary.]

Anybody still harbouring lingering doubts that Froome, Cav, Wiggo and Thomas are not as juiced as Ulrich, Zabel, Menchov and Hincapie needs to read that article and think.

Another pleasing thing is to witness that Irish youngsters are returning with these tales. I have spoken to riders returning with the same tale. Their dream is over. I am livid when the fools state that Lance robbed nobody, everyone was at it. No, there are still people with morals who make the right decision, even if none of them find their way to be President of the UCI. Cookson should meet these people and hold his head in shame. He could have cleaned up British Cycling by sacking Sutton and investigating and sacking Lilestone. Instead the guy is an expert in looking the wrong way and telling everyone he can see nothing.

A photo from Gregory Rast.

The UCI & CPA clean up & the tax man.

md1i55.jpg

Cookson demanding more money out of the UCI's sponsors.

"The responsibility should not lie solely with the UCI and the anti-doping authorities," he told L'Equipe. "We must all get along within a framework defined by the rules ? the UCI, riders, teams, race organisers, manufacturers.

And yet the UCI is the one making the rules and IS THE ANTI-DOPING AUTHORITY!!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cookson-calls-for-collective-responsibility-in-anti-doping

He is much better at hiding his intentions than Pat ever was.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Cookson demanding more money out of the UCI's sponsors.

"The responsibility should not lie solely with the UCI and the anti-doping authorities," he told L'Equipe. "We must all get along within a framework defined by the rules ? the UCI, riders, teams, race organisers, manufacturers.

And yet the UCI is the one making the rules and IS THE ANTI-DOPING AUTHORITY!!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cookson-calls-for-collective-responsibility-in-anti-doping

He is much better at hiding his intentions than Pat ever was.

This is why Cookson is worse for the sport. He will take it backwards in regards to doping and corruption. McQuaid didn't have the wit to do it.

up

Benotti69 said:
[/B]

This is why Cookson is worse for the sport. He will take it backwards in regards to doping and corruption. McQuaid didn't have the wit to do it.

sorry! seems as though i'm failing to keep up.................would opportunities

for corruption not be greater if astana were not exposed and allowed to

continue at the correct price?

moving forward with doping.........is pursuing issues

Mark L

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
ebandit said:
sorry! seems as though i'm failing to keep up.................would opportunities

for corruption not be greater if astana were not exposed and allowed to

continue at the correct price?

moving forward with doping.........is pursuing issues

Mark L
if one has a dislike for hypocrisy, one has no reason to celebrate UCI's Astana bashing.

Meanwhile, cycling is really cleaning up its act:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/voigt-hired-as-ambassador-for-tour-of-california

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Cookson might be worse for cycling than McQuaid, but at least they do/did something:

Tyler Hamilton:
Tyler Hamilton recalled a short conversation with US Postal doctor Luis del Moral from 1999: "you guys take nothing in comparison to footballers."

Nuff said about the endless bashing of Cookson...

http://www.4dfoot.com/2013/02/09/doping-in-football-fifty-years-of-evidence/

Maybe cycling drinks in the last chance saloon, but other sports have left the saloon long ago... totally drunk to ever recover.

Benotti69 said:
Cookson using a doper as a posterboy. Cookson sure is anti doping.

Oleg's cheque cleared...........

https://twitter.com/UCI_cycling/status/572801662391205888/photo/1

Cooskon obviously forgot this

https://twitter.com/Spitinthesoup/status/572828498995388416/photo/1

What a hypocrite......

Obviously, Cookson is not using him as a posterboy.

1 the twitter account is likely run by someone who has no idea about the ins and outs of (anti-)doping (so neither about cheques)
2 this person posted a quote, as they always do on Tuesday, and this time it was a quote by Contador. They aren't using him as a "posterboy".

May 26, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Obviously, Cookson is not using him as a posterboy.

1 the twitter account is likely run by someone who has no idea about the ins and outs of (anti-)doping (so neither about cheques)
2 this person posted a quote, as they always do on Tuesday, and this time it was a quote by Contador. They aren't using him as a "posterboy".

Everyone knows Contador served a doping ban.

It sure looks like a poster to me.

Cookson should issue a statement if he disagrees. If not then he endorses it.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Everyone knows Contador served a doping ban.

It sure looks like a poster to me.

Cookson should issue a statement if he disagrees. If not then he endorses it.
pretty much.

if it's an intern who twittered it, at least we may assume it's an intern who knows a thing or two about cycling and hasn't been living in a cave since 2005 or so.

if UCI care about PR, and we know they do, I don't think they'd let a clueless intern mess around with twitter. Next week we get an Armstrong quote? Don't think so.

By extension, and I hope I'm wrong, it could be taken to suggest the Circ report is not going to be damning for Contador.

Benotti69 said:
:D I am not firing a shot at Berite, Flo, just Cookson's hypocrisy.

:)

I don't think Cookson is involved in this whatsoever. Of course the intern who's doing the tweeting knows about Contador's ban, however, will tweeting a quote from him do any harm? There are approximately 52 Tuesdays in a year, surely they'll tweet out quotes from dopers on some of those tuesdays. Just relax and focus on more important stuff. And sniper, this intern probably doesn't know about the content of the CIRC report either.

Besides, for the love of everything that is holy, please realize that Contador never got banned for deliberately doping. I'm not saying he's clean, but officially he is just as innocent as all the other dopers that never got banned. It makes me angry to see many people clearly want to see him ostracized. :mad: He is no worse than Froome, Nibali, Quintana, Cancellara, Rodriguez and the likes. Would you get your panties in a twist if the UCI twitter account tweeted one of their quotes? I bet not! Please, he's a doper, but he at least got punished for it even though the ban itself was dubious, so stop the crusade against him.:eek:

TRENDING THREADS