• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cookson is worse for cycling than McQuaid

Page 70 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
perhaps you can find out if this is a fair assesment rather than saying nothing has changed without any argument as to why

http://www.uci.ch/clean-sport/awwwnti-doping/

he independence of the CADF was significantly reinforced in September 2013 when its Board was completely renewed. The CADF is chaired by the former President of the UCI Anti-Doping Commission (who resigned this post to take up the chairmanship of CADF), Dr George Ruijsch Van Dugteren, and comprises three members who are independent of the UCI: two legal experts, Mr Christophe Misteli and Mr Thomas Capdevielle, and financial expert Mr Yvan Haymoz.

Previously, the legal management of potential doping cases was conducted by the UCI Legal Service. The new Legal Anti-Doping Service has been set up as a unit separate from the rest of the UCI in order to afford this function greater independence. The working relationships between the members of this Service and other UCI employees will be subject to strict guidelines. In particular, the Legal Anti-Doping Service will not receive any instructions from the UCI Management.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

del1962 said:
perhaps you can find out if this is a fair assesment rather than saying nothing has changed without any argument as to why

Just because UCI puts out a press release saying something don't make it so!

Change needs to real not just words.

Re: heat

mrhender said:
ebandit said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cookson-riders-health-will-come-first-in-the-heat-of-qatar-worlds/

nice that the UCI are considerate about riders health

but wtf have the worlds in such a godawful place as qatar........it's not exactly
wonderful scenery or for the exciting racing ..................

Mark L

money-jpg.jpg

How this can be justified apart from filthy lucre baffles me. Crap for the future of the sport - Qatar hardly a hotbed of young wannabe Cavs and Contadors. Crap for the riders in miserable hot and dusty conditions. Crap for spectators and TV audiences. So only good for one thing - promoting Qatar as some kind of international venue and cash for the UCI.

And don't get me started on Crookson.

ebandit said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cookson-riders-health-will-come-first-in-the-heat-of-qatar-worlds/

but wtf have the worlds in such a godawful place as qatar........it's not exactly

Mark L

MONEY!!!! MONEY!!! MONEY!!! MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The UCI will even rearrange the end of the season for the right price.

I'm not certain how Women racing there are going to be dealt with as Qatar has strict and very specific morality laws that include appropriate dress for women.

Re:

del1962 said:

http://www.uci.ch/clean-sport/awwwnti-doping/

he independence of the CADF was significantly reinforced in September 2013 when its Board was completely renewed. The CADF is chaired by the former President of the UCI Anti-Doping Commission (who resigned this post to take up the chairmanship of CADF), Dr George Ruijsch Van Dugteren, and comprises three members who are independent of the UCI: two legal experts, Mr Christophe Misteli and Mr Thomas Capdevielle, and financial expert Mr Yvan Haymoz.

Previously, the legal management of potential doping cases was conducted by the UCI Legal Service. The new Legal Anti-Doping Service has been set up as a unit separate from the rest of the UCI in order to afford this function greater independence. The working relationships between the members of this Service and other UCI employees will be subject to strict guidelines. In particular, the Legal Anti-Doping Service will not receive any instructions from the UCI Management.

No increases in transparency then. In fact, just the opposite. Are these independent people working for free? Who pays them? Oh, that's right, the UCI. Why would anyone do anything to displease and IOC federation?

How long will it take before it's revealed "strict guidelines" is the UCI doing as it has done since Verbruggen's time?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
So Cookson didn't crack down on a team proven to have a team doping program. Smells of a Federation President here doing what we know Fed Pres do when no one is looking. There has to be some perks living in a country renowned for its 'dirty' banking.......

Re:

Benotti69 said:
So Cookson didn't crack down on a team proven to have a team doping program. Smells of a Federation President here doing what we know Fed Pres do when no one is looking. There has to be some perks living in a country renowned for its 'dirty' banking.......

One word: "Menchov".

Re:

Benotti69 said:
Yep pretty much. McQuaid couldn't get rid of Katusha so no way in hell was Cookson getting rid of Astana

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Really Brian?

Cookson on IAAF scandal.

"We have learned a few lessons in our sport and we can share those lessons"

IAAF could learn to almost ban the Russians then play pretend nothing ever happened... :rolleyes:

I mean Cookson threw out the doping team, Astana and with the same stroke rid cycling of its doping problem, right? :rolleyes:

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

DirtyWorks said:
ebandit said:

Mark L

I'm not certain how Women racing there are going to be dealt with as Qatar has strict and very specific morality laws that include appropriate dress for women.
I was looking for a funny re women in burka's riding bikes in 50 degrees celcius but soon realised that there is nothing funny about it. In countries like Qatar women take a severe risk being seen riding a bike let alone wearing lycra. Nice work Brian!

Re:

Benotti69 said:
Really Brian?

Cookson on IAAF scandal.

"We have learned a few lessons in our sport and we can share those lessons"

IAAF could learn to almost ban the Russians then play pretend nothing ever happened... :rolleyes:

I mean Cookson threw out the doping team, Astana and with the same stroke rid cycling of its doping problem, right? :rolleyes:

Cookson? The guy who sided with Markov in the elections and did the “Menchov” on a passport infringement started by McQuaid? Hilarious.

rainman said:
DirtyWorks said:
ebandit said:

Mark L

I was looking for a funny re women in burka's riding bikes in 50 degrees celcius but soon realised that there is nothing funny about it. In countries like Qatar women take a severe risk being seen riding a bike let alone wearing lycra. Nice work Brian!

Err, what?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_of_Qatar#Ladies.27_past_winners

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
The licensing commission for the UCI is independent of the president, so Brian didn't really have anything to do with them retaining / renewing their license. I seem to remember, at the time, that he insinuated that he would chuck them out if he had the power.

I don't know what power Seb Coe has over who gets to run in IAAF sanctioned events.

Re:

bikenrrd said:
The licensing commission for the UCI is independent of the president, so Brian didn't really have anything to do with them retaining / renewing their license. I seem to remember, at the time, that he insinuated that he would chuck them out if he had the power.

I don't know what power Seb Coe has over who gets to run in IAAF sanctioned events.

Its not independent. Its appointed by the management committee of the UCI.

The Licence Commission is the competent body for issuing, reviewing, withdrawing and attaching conditions to UCI WorldTour licences and ensuring that licence-holders continuously comply with the terms of the licence.

It meets at least once a year to finalise the registration procedure for UCI WorldTeams, but it can also be called upon at any time by the UCI administration to reconsider the awarding of a team’s licence, or even to withdraw it.

The Licence Commission’s decisions are made on the basis of ethical, sporting, financial and administrative criteria.

The Licence Commission is made up of four professionals who work independently of the UCI.

Its President is Mr. Pierre Zappelli, a former Swiss Court Supreme Judge. Its members are Messrs André Hurter, former Director of Services Industriels Genevois, a Swiss public company providing local services, Hans Höhener, a former Swiss politician who currently heads private businesses active in the fields of transport (Säntis-Schwebebahn AG), health and sport (Appenzellerland Sport), and Paolo Franz, a senior executive with IBM, a multinational information technology company.

The current composition was approved by the Management Committee on 15 June 2012 for a period of 4 years until 14 June 2016.

President
Pierre Zappelli (SUI)

Members
Paolo Franz (SUI)
Hans Höhener (SUI)
André Hürter (SUI)

http://www.uci.ch/inside-uci/organisation/commissions/commission/licence-commission/

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
So Cookson doesn't sit on the committee, and wasn't in post when it was appointed.
Edit: also, as your post reads:
"The Licence Commission is made up of four professionals who work independently of the UCI."

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

thehog said:
bikenrrd said:
So Cookson doesn't sit on the committee, and wasn't in post when it was appointed.

He appoints, oversees and manages the committee and works in the same building when they meet.

Cookson was on the management committee when McQuaid was president - you know that don't you? :rolleyes:

He may oversee and manage them but he didn't appoint the current committee. They were appointed in 2012. Cookson was elected in 2013.

Re: Re:

bikenrrd said:
thehog said:
bikenrrd said:

He appoints, oversees and manages the committee and works in the same building when they meet.

Cookson was on the management committee when McQuaid was president - you know that don't you? :rolleyes:

He may oversee and manage them but he didn't appoint the current committee. They were appointed in 2012. Cookson was elected in 2013.

He did as Cookson was on the "Management Committee" in 2012, he was appointed in 2009. The management committee apointments the licence committee.

Come on, this is schoolboy stuff :rolleyes:

Brian has also been involved in World Championships in France, Great Britain, Switzerland, and the Barcelona Olympic Games.

Internationally, he was elected to the UCI Management Committee in 2009

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Cookson

Re:

bikenrrd said:

No it's not, the license committee is overseen by the President who ratifies their decisions. The license committee is appointed by the management committee, which Cookson has been a member of since 2009.

If Cookson had an issue with any of the licensing committees decisions he could veto them. Obviously he doesn't.

Oops :rolleyes:

Edit: Beaten by The Hog :D

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Re:

fmk_RoI said:
Cookson: "I'm confident that the people running the Russian Cycling Federation are trying to do the right thing and I'm sure that if there were any problems there, they would not want to cover them up at all."

Cookson knows you gotta to dance with the one that brung you :p

Igor Makarov said:
Dear Mr. Cookson,

From the bottom of my heart, I congratulate you on your election for the President of the International Cycling Union.

I am fully convinced that your high professionalism and vast practical experience will benefit to developing global cycling and strengthening its traditions.

I wish you inexhaustible stamina and success in the realization of your plans.

With respect,

I.V. Makarov

...and

Cookson also has the support of Russian oligarch Igor Makarov, the boss of the Itera gas company, president of the Russian Cycling Federation and the owner of the Katusha team.

Many people have cringed at Cookson's links to Plant and Makarov but he denied striking up a combine with the Russian to beat McQuaid.

Although it seems Cookson decided to stand for UCI president after meeting Makarov in Moscow, he insisted that the billionaire is not funding his election campaign.

"I've been flying economy class," he said.

When is the next presidential vote?

Re:

More Strides than Rides said:
...and

Cookson also has the support of Russian oligarch Igor Makarov, the boss of the Itera gas company, president of the Russian Cycling Federation and the owner of the Katusha team.

Many people have cringed at Cookson's links to Plant and Makarov but he denied striking up a combine with the Russian to beat McQuaid.

Although it seems Cookson decided to stand for UCI president after meeting Makarov in Moscow, he insisted that the billionaire is not funding his election campaign.

"I've been flying economy class," he said.

When is the next presidential vote?

Impressive work by Cookson. Just as well the anti-doping arm is independent :rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS