Cookson is worse for cycling than McQuaid

Page 71 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

bikenrrd said:
thehog said:
bikenrrd said:
So Cookson doesn't sit on the committee, and wasn't in post when it was appointed.
He appoints, oversees and manages the committee and works in the same building when they meet.

Cookson was on the management committee when McQuaid was president - you know that don't you? :rolleyes:
He may oversee and manage them but he didn't appoint the current committee. They were appointed in 2012. Cookson was elected in 2013.

He did as Cookson was on the "Management Committee" in 2012, he was appointed in 2009. The management committee apointments the licence committee.

Come on, this is schoolboy stuff :rolleyes:

Brian has also been involved in World Championships in France, Great Britain, Switzerland, and the Barcelona Olympic Games.

Internationally, he was elected to the UCI Management Committee in 2009
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Cookson
 
Re:

bikenrrd said:
The licensing commission for the UCI is independent of the president, so Brian didn't really have anything to do with them retaining / renewing their license. I seem to remember, at the time, that he insinuated that he would chuck them out if he had the power.

I don't know what power Seb Coe has over who gets to run in IAAF sanctioned events.
No it's not, the license committee is overseen by the President who ratifies their decisions. The license committee is appointed by the management committee, which Cookson has been a member of since 2009.

If Cookson had an issue with any of the licensing committees decisions he could veto them. Obviously he doesn't.

Oops :rolleyes:

Edit: Beaten by The Hog :D
 
Oct 6, 2009
5,273
0
0
Re:

fmk_RoI said:
Cookson: "I'm confident that the people running the Russian Cycling Federation are trying to do the right thing and I'm sure that if there were any problems there, they would not want to cover them up at all."
Cookson knows you gotta to dance with the one that brung you :p
 
Igor Makarov said:
Dear Mr. Cookson,

From the bottom of my heart, I congratulate you on your election for the President of the International Cycling Union.

I am fully convinced that your high professionalism and vast practical experience will benefit to developing global cycling and strengthening its traditions.

I wish you inexhaustible stamina and success in the realization of your plans.

With respect,

I.V. Makarov
 
...and

Cookson also has the support of Russian oligarch Igor Makarov, the boss of the Itera gas company, president of the Russian Cycling Federation and the owner of the Katusha team.

Many people have cringed at Cookson's links to Plant and Makarov but he denied striking up a combine with the Russian to beat McQuaid.

...

Although it seems Cookson decided to stand for UCI president after meeting Makarov in Moscow, he insisted that the billionaire is not funding his election campaign.

"I've been flying economy class," he said.
When is the next presidential vote?
 
Re:

More Strides than Rides said:
...and

Cookson also has the support of Russian oligarch Igor Makarov, the boss of the Itera gas company, president of the Russian Cycling Federation and the owner of the Katusha team.

Many people have cringed at Cookson's links to Plant and Makarov but he denied striking up a combine with the Russian to beat McQuaid.

...

Although it seems Cookson decided to stand for UCI president after meeting Makarov in Moscow, he insisted that the billionaire is not funding his election campaign.

"I've been flying economy class," he said.
When is the next presidential vote?

Impressive work by Cookson. Just as well the anti-doping arm is independent :rolleyes:
 
May 26, 2010
28,144
2
0
When Cookson says there is nothing to worry about with the Russian cycling federation you know all Cookson did was give the sport a new coat of paint.
 
Re: Re:

Beech Mtn said:
fmk_RoI said:
Cookson: "I'm confident that the people running the Russian Cycling Federation are trying to do the right thing and I'm sure that if there were any problems there, they would not want to cover them up at all."
Cookson knows you gotta to dance with the one that brung you :p
Yeah, Cookson looks way more of a dancer than one that hangs out at the Last Chance Saloon.
 
RUSADA executive director Nikita Kamaev to retain his position on UCI's Anti-Doping Commission:

Kamaev has had to back down in the last week after denouncing the WADA report as "unprofessional, illogical and declarative." He has been forced to answer to accusations in the report that his agency is not in compliance with WADA's code, including allegations that RUSADA made a practice of providing advance notice to athletes of out-of-competition tests.

Cyclingnews asked the UCI if it would reconsider Kamaev's inclusion on the ADC, but a UCI spokesman said they were still reviewing the WADA report.

“The UCI's Commissions act as advisory bodies and members are appointed by the UCI Management Committee," the spokesman said. "The Anti-Doping Commission (ADC) was reshuffled in September 2013 and Mr Kamaev was appointed then for his experience at a National Anti Doping Organisation, to add to the medical and legal backgrounds of the other members."
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cookson-has-confidence-in-russian-cycling-despite-athletics-doping-scandal/
 
Re: Re:

thehog said:
Dear Wiggo said:
*snort*

The ripple effect could catch Cookson on the back foot here. Better watch out!
Anti-Doping is independent, wouldn't be Cookson's fault if mass doping was uncovered :cool:
I believe that an independent commission was made to independently investigate independent doping. The independent commission found, independently, that doping in Russia was independent. Independently of the independent investigation though, Cookson believes that the doping in Russia can be fixed, and an independent committee will oversee Russia's reform of independent doping.
 
Re: Re:

More Strides than Rides said:
thehog said:
Dear Wiggo said:
*snort*

The ripple effect could catch Cookson on the back foot here. Better watch out!
Anti-Doping is independent, wouldn't be Cookson's fault if mass doping was uncovered :cool:
I believe that an independent commission was made to independently investigate independent doping. The independent commission found, independently, that doping in Russia was independent. Independently of the independent investigation though, Cookson believes that the doping in Russia can be fixed, and an independent committee will oversee Russia's reform of independent doping.
When pressed on the matter President Cookson stated he would make further announcements of the independent reforms commissions into independent doping on page 74 of an obscure independent report published on an independent website.

Mr. Cookson went on to say that Chris Kreuzinger is the fastest women's' marathon runner of all time and her blood values are in line with that of a Bradley Contdor. At this point the interview was cut short and President Cookson was rebooted and uploaded with a new firmware from British Cycling.
 
To bair to Cookson and the UCI, Russian cycling has been awful since Menchov retired. Yes, he was a doper, but the only thing good about Russian cycling in the last couple years are the foreign riders on their teams. Tinkoff Saxo and Katusha are doing pretty well but mostly due to foreign riders, Contador, Kristoff, Purito, Kreuziger, Majka, etc. They have the money, so it's not a problem for them to recruit and to buy/sell. Which is maybe the reason why there are so few top russian men on any pro tour teams these days. Of course, cycling was never that big of a sport in Russia, so maybe we shouldn't be surprised.
 
Re:

fmk_RoI said:
Cookson: "I'm confident that the people running the Russian Cycling Federation are trying to do the right thing and I'm sure that if there were any problems there, they would not want to cover them up at all."
In light of the systemic doping in Russia, Cookson should be saying "I am going to Russia to see what the hell is going on, and if there is any evidence to suggest doping in Russian cycling, they are out." It is that simple Brian! We all see through your platitudes!
 
Re:

fmk_RoI said:
Cookson: "I'm confident that the people running the Russian Cycling Federation are trying to do the right thing and I'm sure that if there were any problems there, they would not want to cover them up at all."
And proving that he's the gift that keeps on giving, here he is playing softball with the Comic:

“I believe that the Russian cycling federation will want to do the right thing, nobody wants to be labelled a cheat and nobody wants to sweep things under the carpet that will subsequently come out and damage our sport,” he said.

“I may be naïve and I may be proved wrong, but I believe that the people involved in the Russian cycling federation have good intentions in that respect.”
So that's Pravda, Sky and the Comic. Next up ... the Telegraph?
 
Re: Re:

fmk_RoI said:
fmk_RoI said:
Cookson: "I'm confident that the people running the Russian Cycling Federation are trying to do the right thing and I'm sure that if there were any problems there, they would not want to cover them up at all."
And proving that he's the gift that keeps on giving, here he is playing softball with the Comic:

“I believe that the Russian cycling federation will want to do the right thing, nobody wants to be labelled a cheat and nobody wants to sweep things under the carpet that will subsequently come out and damage our sport,” he said.

“I may be naïve and I may be proved wrong, but I believe that the people involved in the Russian cycling federation have good intentions in that respect.”
So that's Pravda, Sky and the Comic. Next up ... the Telegraph?
I'm tempted to make that quote my signature. He might as well be tying his own noose with that kind of endorsement of that kind of federation.
 
Re:

fmk_RoI said:
RUSADA executive director Nikita Kamaev to retain his position on UCI's Anti-Doping Commission:

Kamaev has had to back down in the last week after denouncing the WADA report as "unprofessional, illogical and declarative." He has been forced to answer to accusations in the report that his agency is not in compliance with WADA's code, including allegations that RUSADA made a practice of providing advance notice to athletes of out-of-competition tests.

Cyclingnews asked the UCI if it would reconsider Kamaev's inclusion on the ADC, but a UCI spokesman said they were still reviewing the WADA report.

“The UCI's Commissions act as advisory bodies and members are appointed by the UCI Management Committee," the spokesman said. "The Anti-Doping Commission (ADC) was reshuffled in September 2013 and Mr Kamaev was appointed then for his experience at a National Anti Doping Organisation, to add to the medical and legal backgrounds of the other members."
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cookson-has-confidence-in-russian-cycling-despite-athletics-doping-scandal/
Cookson's response (given to the Comic)

“Obviously this is an issue that has caused us some concern, it’s a matter that I’ll be discussing with the Russian cycling federation over the next few days. We’ll make an announcement about what to do in due course,” Cookson added.

“Mr Kamaev was appointed because of his position as a head of a national anti-doping agency. If that agency has been found to be non-compliant, then that is obviously a serious matter and we’ll be discussing that and making a decision over the next few days. I’m sure you understand we don’t want to do things hastily.”
I guess this must mean he's learnt a lesson from mouthing off about ridding the sport of Astana and Kreuziger...
 
Fairly awesome by Cookson.

Remember the days when he promised "transparency" and putting away Hein and Pat. Pat's laptop in a dawn raid was confiscated at UCI headquarters by a security firm. Hein was going to resign as Honorary President of the UCI. The doors of the anti-process were going to be opened, Lance was going to get a reduction in his sentence if he worked with the CIRC committee.

Cookson is full of broken promises and lies, bad president.
 
Sep 29, 2012
12,197
0
0
He was pretty hasty about putting both feet in his mouth when the women's cycling kit went viral el oh fricken el.
 
May 26, 2010
28,144
2
0
Let us not forget a big change Cookson has brought in. He has dropped the Cologne lab for testing. Everything goes to Martial Saugy :D

Chapeau Brian.
 
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/race-organisers-reject-uci-worldtour-reforms
This is getting really ridiculous. All of them were part of the so called reforms meetings for the last 2 years and it takes this long for them to reject the same. Couldn't they have rejected them in the meetings itself strongly so that everybody would have not wasted their time. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
In cycling everything appears goes around in circles. After all most of the routes are circuitous in nature.
 
Sep 29, 2012
12,197
0
0
Re:

IndianCyclist said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/race-organisers-reject-uci-worldtour-reforms
This is getting really ridiculous. All of them were part of the so called reforms meetings for the last 2 years and it takes this long for them to reject the same. Couldn't they have rejected them in the meetings itself strongly so that everybody would have not wasted their time. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
In cycling everything appears goes around in circles. After all most of the routes are circuitous in nature.
That's not how business works.

In the meetings? Yes.
Agreeing to terms? Not bloody likely.
Trying to negotiate them down? Very likely.
Succeeding? Well apparently not, given that they have now pulled the plug.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY