• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cookson is worse for cycling than McQuaid

Page 71 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
When Cookson says there is nothing to worry about with the Russian cycling federation you know all Cookson did was give the sport a new coat of paint.

Re: Re:

Beech Mtn said:
fmk_RoI said:
Cookson: "I'm confident that the people running the Russian Cycling Federation are trying to do the right thing and I'm sure that if there were any problems there, they would not want to cover them up at all."

Cookson knows you gotta to dance with the one that brung you :p
Yeah, Cookson looks way more of a dancer than one that hangs out at the Last Chance Saloon.

RUSADA executive director Nikita Kamaev to retain his position on UCI's Anti-Doping Commission:

Kamaev has had to back down in the last week after denouncing the WADA report as "unprofessional, illogical and declarative." He has been forced to answer to accusations in the report that his agency is not in compliance with WADA's code, including allegations that RUSADA made a practice of providing advance notice to athletes of out-of-competition tests.

Cyclingnews asked the UCI if it would reconsider Kamaev's inclusion on the ADC, but a UCI spokesman said they were still reviewing the WADA report.

“The UCI's Commissions act as advisory bodies and members are appointed by the UCI Management Committee," the spokesman said. "The Anti-Doping Commission (ADC) was reshuffled in September 2013 and Mr Kamaev was appointed then for his experience at a National Anti Doping Organisation, to add to the medical and legal backgrounds of the other members."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cookson-has-confidence-in-russian-cycling-despite-athletics-doping-scandal/

thehog said:
Dear Wiggo said:
*snort*

The ripple effect could catch Cookson on the back foot here. Better watch out!

Anti-Doping is independent, wouldn't be Cookson's fault if mass doping was uncovered :cool:

I believe that an independent commission was made to independently investigate independent doping. The independent commission found, independently, that doping in Russia was independent. Independently of the independent investigation though, Cookson believes that the doping in Russia can be fixed, and an independent committee will oversee Russia's reform of independent doping.

More Strides than Rides said:
thehog said:
Dear Wiggo said:
*snort*

The ripple effect could catch Cookson on the back foot here. Better watch out!

Anti-Doping is independent, wouldn't be Cookson's fault if mass doping was uncovered :cool:

I believe that an independent commission was made to independently investigate independent doping. The independent commission found, independently, that doping in Russia was independent. Independently of the independent investigation though, Cookson believes that the doping in Russia can be fixed, and an independent committee will oversee Russia's reform of independent doping.

When pressed on the matter President Cookson stated he would make further announcements of the independent reforms commissions into independent doping on page 74 of an obscure independent report published on an independent website.

Mr. Cookson went on to say that Chris Kreuzinger is the fastest women's' marathon runner of all time and her blood values are in line with that of a Bradley Contdor. At this point the interview was cut short and President Cookson was rebooted and uploaded with a new firmware from British Cycling.

To bair to Cookson and the UCI, Russian cycling has been awful since Menchov retired. Yes, he was a doper, but the only thing good about Russian cycling in the last couple years are the foreign riders on their teams. Tinkoff Saxo and Katusha are doing pretty well but mostly due to foreign riders, Contador, Kristoff, Purito, Kreuziger, Majka, etc. They have the money, so it's not a problem for them to recruit and to buy/sell. Which is maybe the reason why there are so few top russian men on any pro tour teams these days. Of course, cycling was never that big of a sport in Russia, so maybe we shouldn't be surprised.

Re:

fmk_RoI said:
Cookson: "I'm confident that the people running the Russian Cycling Federation are trying to do the right thing and I'm sure that if there were any problems there, they would not want to cover them up at all."

In light of the systemic doping in Russia, Cookson should be saying "I am going to Russia to see what the hell is going on, and if there is any evidence to suggest doping in Russian cycling, they are out." It is that simple Brian! We all see through your platitudes!

Re:

fmk_RoI said:

And proving that he's the gift that keeps on giving, here he is playing softball with the Comic:

“I believe that the Russian cycling federation will want to do the right thing, nobody wants to be labelled a cheat and nobody wants to sweep things under the carpet that will subsequently come out and damage our sport,” he said.

“I may be naïve and I may be proved wrong, but I believe that the people involved in the Russian cycling federation have good intentions in that respect.”

So that's Pravda, Sky and the Comic. Next up ... the Telegraph?

fmk_RoI said:
fmk_RoI said:

And proving that he's the gift that keeps on giving, here he is playing softball with the Comic:

“I believe that the Russian cycling federation will want to do the right thing, nobody wants to be labelled a cheat and nobody wants to sweep things under the carpet that will subsequently come out and damage our sport,” he said.

“I may be naïve and I may be proved wrong, but I believe that the people involved in the Russian cycling federation have good intentions in that respect.”

So that's Pravda, Sky and the Comic. Next up ... the Telegraph?

I'm tempted to make that quote my signature. He might as well be tying his own noose with that kind of endorsement of that kind of federation.

Re:

fmk_RoI said:
RUSADA executive director Nikita Kamaev to retain his position on UCI's Anti-Doping Commission:

Kamaev has had to back down in the last week after denouncing the WADA report as "unprofessional, illogical and declarative." He has been forced to answer to accusations in the report that his agency is not in compliance with WADA's code, including allegations that RUSADA made a practice of providing advance notice to athletes of out-of-competition tests.

Cyclingnews asked the UCI if it would reconsider Kamaev's inclusion on the ADC, but a UCI spokesman said they were still reviewing the WADA report.

“The UCI's Commissions act as advisory bodies and members are appointed by the UCI Management Committee," the spokesman said. "The Anti-Doping Commission (ADC) was reshuffled in September 2013 and Mr Kamaev was appointed then for his experience at a National Anti Doping Organisation, to add to the medical and legal backgrounds of the other members."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cookson-has-confidence-in-russian-cycling-despite-athletics-doping-scandal/

Cookson's response (given to the Comic)

“Obviously this is an issue that has caused us some concern, it’s a matter that I’ll be discussing with the Russian cycling federation over the next few days. We’ll make an announcement about what to do in due course,” Cookson added.

“Mr Kamaev was appointed because of his position as a head of a national anti-doping agency. If that agency has been found to be non-compliant, then that is obviously a serious matter and we’ll be discussing that and making a decision over the next few days. I’m sure you understand we don’t want to do things hastily.”

I guess this must mean he's learnt a lesson from mouthing off about ridding the sport of Astana and Kreuziger...

Fairly awesome by Cookson.

Remember the days when he promised "transparency" and putting away Hein and Pat. Pat's laptop in a dawn raid was confiscated at UCI headquarters by a security firm. Hein was going to resign as Honorary President of the UCI. The doors of the anti-process were going to be opened, Lance was going to get a reduction in his sentence if he worked with the CIRC committee.

Cookson is full of broken promises and lies, bad president.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Let us not forget a big change Cookson has brought in. He has dropped the Cologne lab for testing. Everything goes to Martial Saugy :D

Chapeau Brian.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/race-organisers-reject-uci-worldtour-reforms
This is getting really ridiculous. All of them were part of the so called reforms meetings for the last 2 years and it takes this long for them to reject the same. Couldn't they have rejected them in the meetings itself strongly so that everybody would have not wasted their time. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
In cycling everything appears goes around in circles. After all most of the routes are circuitous in nature.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Re:

IndianCyclist said:
This is getting really ridiculous. All of them were part of the so called reforms meetings for the last 2 years and it takes this long for them to reject the same. Couldn't they have rejected them in the meetings itself strongly so that everybody would have not wasted their time. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
In cycling everything appears goes around in circles. After all most of the routes are circuitous in nature.

That's not how business works.

In the meetings? Yes.
Agreeing to terms? Not bloody likely.
Trying to negotiate them down? Very likely.
Succeeding? Well apparently not, given that they have now pulled the plug.

Re:

IndianCyclist said:

The last version of the reforms was only tabled a few weeks ago (at the Worlds). That is what the AIOCC are now rejecting. At the CCP meeting the AIOCC had just two votes. Their rejection of the proposals now puts them on a collision course with the UCI: the agreed reforms are scheduled to go ahead, but the race organisers don't want to implement them.

That everything appears to go around in circles - this is all the same old power game. Historically, the race organisers held it, today the UCI thinks it has it while the teams think they can yet usurp it. (The riders, they just go 'Yeah! Bikes!' and no one pays them any heed.)

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I was criticised before for comparing sporting federations to organised crime. It was considered an OTT statement that was for the birds. But we see the former IAAF president taking bribes to keep quiet about doping positives.

Now i read Graham Obree;

It is a bit like the mafia – if everyone is not implicated in a crime, then there is a loose cannon who can whistleblow,” he said, talking about one of the reasons for that peer pressure. “So if everyone gets involved with it, then nobody can squeak [speak out].”

I feel nothing has changed. Teams are not going to hire a Mr Clean in case he 'whistleblows'.

Cookson has done nothing to change the sports doping culture. All he has done is try to limit(hide) the damage(news) of positives and who knows if he has similar ideas to other sporting Federations.

The decision to drop the Cologne Lab does not point Cookson in a direction of being anti doping.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

fmk_RoI said:
Benotti69 said:
The decision to drop the Cologne Lab does not point Cookson in a direction of being anti doping.

Can you provide statistics on the use of the Cologne lab in the McQuaid era compared to the Cookson years?

Thanx in advance.

It was the Cologne lab that caught Contador. Lausanne lab is run by every federations friend Martial 'Capone' Saugy. :D

No i dont have statistics.

Benotti69 said:
[It was the Cologne lab that caught Contador. Lausanne lab is run by every federations friend Martial 'Capone' Saugy. :D

1) Wasn't the choice of the Cologne lab to test Contador's sample - and a handful of others - considered highly unusual at the time, well out of the norm?

2) If you don't have statistics, is the claim that the Cologne lab has been dropped nothing more than an opinion? But you state it - time and time again - with such authority!

May 26, 2010
Visit site

fmk_RoI said:
Benotti69 said:
[It was the Cologne lab that caught Contador. Lausanne lab is run by every federations friend Martial 'Capone' Saugy. :D

fmk_RoI said:
1) Wasn't the choice of the Cologne lab to test Contador's sample - and a handful of others - considered highly unusual at the time, well out of the norm?

I think it was. Why was it done? Did they expect to get a positive and then a brown bag to make it go away?

fmk_RoI said:
2) If you don't have statistics, is the claim that the Cologne lab has been dropped nothing more than an opinion? But you state it - time and time again - with such authority!

No,but i cannot find anything about testing done at Cologne this year. It might have something to do with them being able to test for AICAR.

I did read it somewhere that UCI had dropped Cologne and cannot find the source.

http://www.velonation.com/news/id/16008/cologne-lab-develops-successful-test-for-banned-substance-aicar.aspx

Benotti69 said:
i cannot find anything about testing done at Cologne this year.

With the exception of Bert and the related samples, can you find anything for Cologne for any years? You keep making this claim, stating it as it if were a verifiable fact, yet you have have sod all evidence apart from one case - that even you seem to admit was the exception, not the norm - and a dose of bad memory?

By your twisted logic, the alleged lack of Cologne testing is actually nothing less than proof of greater honesty in the UCI under Cookson, if true there is clearly no need or desire to extort those apocryphal brown bags you so fervently believe in. Rather than supporting your claim that an alleged lack of testing in Cologne undermines Cookson, using your argument in full it actually strengthens him.

TRENDING THREADS