• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cookson is worse for cycling than McQuaid

Page 73 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

fmk_RoI said:
Freddythefrog said:
did Brian just bumble and stumble into the timing, hostage to events

Knowing the manner in which InsideTheGames got the story in the first place it's pretty clear that this is just timing, good or bad.

I suspect Brian and his CiRC report was motivated at getting rid of Hein. Brian didn't get his smoking gun he expected from Lance and others, all he got was a lot of stories about Sky's skinniness, power and cortisone use. That was no good for him.

Brian tried via various press releases to get his man but Hein was too well connected and simply didn't give a *** to walk away. So Brian had to pay HV's legal fees, agree to let it go so Cooksom would have a chance to sink into the IOC at a later date.

Cookson and his reforms :)

fmk_RoI said:
Freddythefrog said:

Knowing the manner in which InsideTheGames got the story in the first place it's pretty clear that this is just timing, good or bad.

Stumble, bumble, trip and half fall, as one twitter critic put it - the Laurel and Hardy show featuring Brian Cookson.

This is just so below school playground stuff. A secret deal that neither party keep their side of the bargain and both blurt out "well he said.........before that" and all of this to be exposed in a golden day for international sporting federation chaos. News editors across the country are spoilt for choice on which set of incompetent, corrupt officials to put on the front page.

Sepp Blatter really did look rough yesterday, when he found the key to the old FIFA building and took the press in there for his conference and repeated, "I am the president, I am the president, they can't stop me being the president, I am the president.............." It was scary stuff.

These evil old men that run sport. How they must hate the invention of social media. All their pettiness and egotistic behaviour exposed for all to see.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0dcv6GKNNw

I wonder what Sepp and Hein think about this day, when they were both blackmailed to sign up ?
http://velonews.competitor.com/2003/03/news/uci-and-fifa-to-sign-anti-doping-document_3536

Freddythefrog said:
fmk_RoI said:
Freddythefrog said:

Stumble, bumble, trip and half fall, as one twitter critic put it - the Laurel and Hardy show featuring Brian Cookson.

This is just so below school playground stuff. A secret deal that neither party keep their side of the bargain and both blurt out "well he said.........before that" and all of this to be exposed in a golden day for international sporting federation chaos. News editors across the country are spoilt for choice on which set of incompetent, corrupt officials to put on the front page.

Sepp Blatter really did look rough yesterday, when he found the key to the old FIFA building and took the press in there for his conference and repeated, "I am the president, I am the president, they can't stop me being the president, I am the president.............." It was scary stuff.

These evil old men that run sport. How they must hate the invention of social media. All their pettiness and egotistic behaviour exposed for all to see.

I wonder what Sepp and Hein think about this day, when they were both blackmailed to sign up ?
http://velonews.competitor.com/2003/03/news/uci-and-fifa-to-sign-anti-doping-document_3536

Very good summation on Brian, he's clearly gunning for future position in the IOC where he can be as useless as he likes and no one will care.

Re:

ebandit said:
..........now hein is crying he never got the 40k........maybe brian has more

balls than some thought.............?

Mark L

The fact that Brian & the UCI linked to Hein's website means Cookson is powerless. He was so sure that Pat & Hein were up to no good and now Cookson is effectively promoting Hein! Couldn't be more funnier.

Cookson disappears for weeks at a time run pops his head up to go back down again when the going gets tough.

thehog said:
Freddythefrog said:
fmk_RoI said:
Freddythefrog said:

Very good summation on Brian, he's clearly gunning for future position in the IOC where he can be as useless as he likes and no one will care.
This is confusing to say the least. There has to be much more to the case than just Cookson *** with Hein because if it is, then Cookson is truly stupider than we think. However, as you say, he could be cozying up to the IOC where he could be just as inept and crooked in a more prestigious position.

veganrob said:
.... if it is, then Cookson is truly stupider than we think. However, as you say, he could be cozying up to the IOC where he could be just as inept and crooked in a more prestigious position.
Are you accusing me of not putting Cookson in the correct place on my
"stupid, very stupid, really really stupid, so stupid I can't believe he got dressed this morning " scale ? Or are you saying I have a calibration error and my scale does not go far enough ?

Secret meeting with Hein and agreeing to pay his expenses and leave him in position. This is so funny.

Freddythefrog said:
veganrob said:
.... if it is, then Cookson is truly stupider than we think. However, as you say, he could be cozying up to the IOC where he could be just as inept and crooked in a more prestigious position.
"stupid, very stupid, really really stupid, so stupid I can't believe he got dressed this morning " scale ? Or are you saying I have a calibration error and my scale does not go far enough ?

Secret meeting with Hein and agreeing to pay his expenses and leave him in position. This is so funny.

If only Hein hadn't opened his big mouth, Brian couid have pretended he was being tough on the old guard.

Cookson, when no was looking was linking up Hein's website, leaving him on as honorary president and giving him 40k for fun. Which is vastly different from those feel good press releases Brian likes to release.

Like you said, this is so funny! :)

Cookson confirms UCI was prepared to pay a "symbolic" sum to Verbruggen:

“Hein wanted us to pay money towards his costs, I said we might pay a small amount, he came back with a figure and we said no. We might have made a small gesture of goodwill but not 40,000 Swiss francs. [€37,000]

“The agreement was falling down anyway because Hein hasn’t respected his side of the bargain. We have evidence that he was involving himself in UCI politics, and as far as I’m concerned the agreement is null and void. We haven’t paid any money. Absolutely not.”

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
gotta love Cookson's choice of words here
"Those close to cycling know very well where the UCI went wrong in the past, including the conflicts it needlessly got into and which seriously damaged its credibility,"
That's one way of saying "Those close to cycling know very well that Pat and Hein showed a stunning inability to properly cover up doping".

Also, the "and therefore" in the quote below doesn't make any sense. Right would have been, "yet in spite of that" or something similar.
"I was elected to change the way the UCI conducts itself and therefore, following a request from the International Olympic Committee (IOC), I indeed met with Mr Hein Verbruggen last summer.

Cookson. Forest. Trees.

Freddythefrog said:
veganrob said:

Well some people, have gotten a lot of mileage out of the calibration error excuse. I'm not saying you have however. ;)

Freddythefrog said:
veganrob said:

It really is.

Re: laugh

ebandit said:
thehog said:
ebandit said:

The fact that Brian & the UCI linked to Hein's website means Cookson is powerless. He was so sure that Pat & Hein were up to no good and now Cookson is effectively promoting Hein! Couldn't be more funnier.

laugh along if you don't care................i find nothing funny in the fact that hein manages

to cling on when he is no longer wanted.........at least brian has tried...mcquaid would

be welcoming hein with open arms.........

Mark L

Hein is well embedded into the IOC, he is hardly "clinging", in fact Cookson appears to be "clinging" by his step down in providing an effective apology by linking Hein's website from the UCI website. He also has to pay for Hein's legal fees, which will probably end up in court if Brian doesn't cut him a cheque soon.

Re:

ebandit said:
..........still don't see anything funny about it.............

Mark L

Its funny in a ironic manner in that Brian really has no control whatsoever despite him pretending that he does so. In fact Cookson who promised transparency had struck a secret deal with Hein but which was later exposed leading to BC holding off on the 40k promise. That is funny.

What would happen if McQuaid said to ASO that rules meant their races couldn't be longer than 200 kms and then people started pointing out he hadn't read the rules and the actual distance was 240 km, with so many exemptions available that the rule was really more like guidelines?

(Maybe the 40k was confusing Cookson and he was taking that off ASO as well as HV? People can get confused by numbers.)

thehog said:
Its funny in a ironic manner in that Brian really has no control whatsoever despite him pretending that he does so. In fact Cookson who promised transparency had struck a secret deal with Hein but which was later exposed leading to BC holding off on the 40k promise. That is funny.

The way they buried the link to the note about Verbuggen's disagreements was pretty class: they just nuked the original CIRC press release with the report link in it. That does scream a lack of transparency.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
People can get confused by numbers especially when they are used to taking vast amounts of cash in a manner that is unaccountable.....so many brown bags so little time......