• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cookson is worse for cycling than McQuaid

Page 37 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Those who are saying Cookson is worse than McQuaid still haven't addressed the fundamental point that the relationship between WADA and the UCI had broken down under McQuaid, and since Cookson took power the relationship is now workable.

I would have though in the fight against doping in cycling this relationship is a key factor. Much more important than cherry picking a few individual cases.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
del1962 said:
Those who are saying Cookson is worse than McQuaid still haven't addressed the fundamental point that the relationship between WADA and the UCI had broken down under McQuaid, and since Cookson took power the relationship is now workable.

I would have though in the fight against doping in cycling this relationship is a key factor. Much more important than cherry picking a few individual cases.
You're most probably right.
It's not hard at all to imagine the relationship between UCI's Cookson and WADA's Reedie is more than excellent. Both have a similar job history, both being tasked with promoting, encouraging and maximizing British sport's success.

So what will that 'good relation' bring us?

With the emergency TUE for Dawg, UCI disregarded WADA rules. Did WADA lash out at UCI/Cookson?:rolleyes:
Sir Reedie tasked with policing Sir Dave. Promising.
:rolleyes:

del1962 said:

Sure, Cookson appears to have smoothed things over with WADA. It's difficult to argue otherwise.

But, WADA has no authority. It's up to the UCI to open cases where they are the Anti-doping authority. The UCI's 2014 record is just as random as years past. And I'm not even bringing up the Menchov secret sanction.

This is getting repetitive, but 2014 definitely saw many lower/slower power tests. Typical of the UCI and cycling, no clue how/why this suddenly occurred. Meanwhile Nibali, Contador, Froome and Grand Pappy Horner were suspicious as always.

thehog said:
Cookson needs to get rid of Riis and Vino and give us Julich & Yates.

They are better because English is their first language.

What Cookson has asked is that they contribute to circ and they are the two most high profile team managers with confirmed doping pasts, what you don't know is what Julich has contributed to circ or Yates, and while it is probable that Yates has a doping past, what solid evidence that the UCI could bring against him (I doubt Yates will contribute to circ)

SO it has noting to do with their language, which seems to be a sloppy argument for those who don't really have anything solid to contribute.

So lets wait for the outcome of circ before making accusations,

Probably not the right place for this because it has nothing to do directly with Cookson.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/usa-could-host-a-worldtour-race-in-2017

The Canadian promoter is trying to get the blessing to join the UCI's race organizer mafia. Also very interesting he dropped some numbers we don't see very often. I love how he fabricates the dollar-value of the exposure. Those in Marketing know this is standard practice though.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Catwhoorg said:
TacklingDopingSport ‏@NoDopingInSport 2m 2 minutes ago

We are delighted to announce the @UCI_cycling President, Brian Cookson, as a speaker at TDS 2015. More speakers and full agenda coming soon.

Cookson has become an authority on anti doping already? God help us.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
“It’s a bit of a chick and an egg [situation], I’m told, and passing a simple rule at this point in time could potentially be counterproductive. But it does remain an important objective,” the Guardian newspaper quoted him as saying.

“The women who have been involved in the Women’s Road Commission have told me that the result of that would not be 500 women suddenly being paid the minimum wage,” Cookson continued. “They’ve told me that actually most of the teams that currently present themselves as professional teams would fold or re-register as amateur teams, so they wouldn’t end up paying those women anything at all anyway.”

Lets not forget what Cookie promised.
If the UCI is to become a modern and progressive international federation, we must ensure that there are rules specifying teams guarantee a minimum wage for women pro road riders and proper, modern terms of employment. I commit to achieving this in my first year in office. (Brian Cookson, UCI President, September 2013)

Thanks for proving my point.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
TailWindHome said:
Should he stick to the manifesto even when being advised otherwise?

thehog said:
Cookson, a man who would say and do anything to get elected.

Did he research that manifesto? That's right, he paid a PR firm to write it.

What a joker.

Cookson, old(and new) school politician. Make promises then fail to deliver and find all the excuses under the sun.

If women's teams went amateur (is there such a thing anymore) the UCI would lose all the lovely licence money:rolleyes:

Benotti69 said:
Cookson, old(and new) school politician. Make promises then fail to deliver and find all the excuses under the sun.

If women's teams went amateur (is there such a thing anymore) the UCI would lose all the lovely licence money:rolleyes:

"I declare that all decisions will be made up on the spot, I will align myself to women cyclists in a vain attempt to get elected and pretend that doping will be more independent. I will give out TUEs to Sky riders at a whim and keep the flow of cortisone to all, Elect 1, Brian Cookson"

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
thehog said:
"I declare that all decisions will be made up on the spot, I will align myself to women cyclists in a vain attempt to get elected and pretend that doping will be more independent. I will give out TUEs to Sky riders at a whim and keep the flow of cortisone to all, Elect 1, Brian Cookson"

Now if only he could get a group of Irish internet people to subvert the democratic process.....

thehog said:

I thought it was Zorzoli who approved the TUE, or do you have different info that you want to share with us?

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:
In the name of transparency I'm sure it's obvious to all :rolleyes:

I think its safe to say that Cookson within his first year has changed nothing in cycling. At least nothing for the better.

I would say the UCI is mostly the same as under McQ, except a little less transparent.

But Cookson has better PR advisors. No doubt.

Perhaps he can get Walsh to write his autobiography.