• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cookson is worse for cycling than McQuaid

Page 47 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
burning said:
I don't think they want to go against Lefevre, they are simply too big to mess.

The UCI brought difficulties onto Lefevre's before when he plainly stated to the world that a grand tour podium is doped. That was the reason he gave for his teams not ever explicitly pursuing a grand tour podium.

"You are lucky if the money is on your account one year after the race.

I wasn't surprised to read about the taxes the UCI has on the win money. But, the long delay is something I did not know about.

It will be interesting to see what Terpstra's race calendar looks like after stating the obvious. He might be the first candidate for the UCI's non-WADA compliant Swiss sanctioning committee.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
The UCI brought difficulties onto Lefevre's before when he plainly stated to the world that a grand tour podium is doped. That was the reason he gave for his teams not ever explicitly pursuing a grand tour podium.

"You are lucky if the money is on your account one year after the race.

I wasn't surprised to read about the taxes the UCI has on the win money. But, the long delay is something I did not know about.

It will be interesting to see what Terpstra's race calendar looks like after stating the obvious. He might be the first candidate for the UCI's non-WADA compliant Swiss sanctioning committee.

I think Terpestra is lucky to get some money. I bet plenty of riders are owed lots still years after they left the sport!

Salvodelli is owed monies from Bruyneel, appears to be par for the sport. Didn't JV withhold monies from riders....

away

been away a long time.......................so has anyone come up with anything

to support the motion that things are now worse with cookson?

just because the UCI are crap does not make them crapper than before

...............at least we have optimism?

Mark L

burning said:
Terpstra might a d-bag in a race, but this is a refreshing sight to see for sure.

@sniper: This is better than calling out Sayar and shutting up for everybody else, you can not expect people to go full against Omerta overnight.

What's most interesting is prize money appears to go via the UCI, if I read correctly.

No doubt the UCI sits on the momey, gains interest then pays out whilst taking its cut when its ready.

Pro-Mafia-Cycling at its best. Cookson really is putting the credibility back into cycling..... not.

sniper said:
I noticed though that if riders criticize the UCI it is hardly over doping-related issues.
Seems in this interview Niki too preferred not to touch the issue (besides the obligatory blacksheeping of Astana of course).

What's most interesting is prize money appears to go via the UCI, if I read correctly.

No doubt the UCI sits on the money, gains interest then pays out whilst taking its cut when its ready.

Pro-Mafia-Cycling at its best. Cookson really is putting the credibility back into cycling..... not

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:

No doubt the UCI sits on the money, gains interest then pays out whilst taking its cut when its ready.

Pro-Mafia-Cycling at its best. Cookson really is putting the credibility back into cycling..... not
you sum it up nicely.
i don;t think cookson deals with it differently than pat did (correct me if i'm wrong), but, yes, it shows once more the change cookson promised on many levels is not happening.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
thehog said:

The riders must have loved the tour of China prize money dispersal then - finish the stage and collect wads of cash. ka ching!

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
The riders must have loved the tour of China prize money dispersal then - finish the stage and collect wads of cash. ka ching!
Digger might be able to tell us, did Floyd get the Mercury Viatel money that Aigle held in escrow when it went belly up? The was why Hein and McQuaid were so antsy at him. And prolly got back at him about 5 years later.

loved some of those Mercury stories, like Leon Van Bon, the human perm, winning Philly Pros and instead of p!ssing for the tester that was waiting, took his first leak (urine) in his bib-shorts.

perms ftw. now he is a gun-for hire at marco-polo
vanbon.jpg

sniper said:
you sum it up nicely.
i don;t think cookson deals with it differently than pat did (correct me if i'm wrong), but, yes, it shows once more the change cookson promised on many levels is not happening.

Cookson needs more time, he's just following the rules :rolleyes:

The guy is just a walking press release. Chocolate teapot.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
Cookson needs more time, he's just following the rules :rolleyes:

The guy is just a walking press release. Chocolate teapot.

I think Cookson and McQuaid probably suck equally bad, but since Cookson followed up McQuaid, he had ideal circumstances to do go and do better than McQuaid.
In short, the fact that he's just as poor as McQuaid for me means he's actually much poorer than McQuaid.:cool:

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
sniper said:
you sum it up nicely.

I wonder if Cookson just made all that stuff up in order to get elected? What about the mysteeerious dossier? Was that true, or not?

Heckler said:
I wonder if Cookson just made all that stuff up in order to get elected? What about the mysteeerious dossier? Was that true, or not?

Define true.

True like Makarov and Wiesel-plant whipped something up? Yeah. It was useful in many ways. What was reported there wasn't anything new.

Strategically true? Yeah. USADA affadavit true, with doubtful stuff included? Not likely.

True like a thorough document? No. Probably not. ;)

blackcat said:
Digger might be able to tell us, did Floyd get the Mercury Viatel money that Aigle held in escrow when it went belly up? The was why Hein and McQuaid were so antsy at him. And prolly got back at him about 5 years later.

loved some of those Mercury stories, like Leon Van Bon, the human perm, winning Philly Pros and instead of p!ssing for the tester that was waiting, took his first leak (urine) in his bib-shorts.

perms ftw. now he is a gun-for hire at marco-polo
vanbon.jpg

god you really know nothing - for someone who has been around these forums so long...you have all the soundites and headlines, but nothing of substance.

Dear Wiggo said:

Yikes! The UCI love the coin!

2. Annual contribution to the Cycling Anti-doping Foundation (CADF) (organisers)
UCI WorldTour events:

The annual financial contribution of each organiser to the biological passport is calculated on the basis of 15 % of the minimum prize money.

Other events:
The annual financial contribution of each organiser to the contribution to the CADF is calculated on the basis of 5% of the UCI fee

3. Annual contribution to the Cycling Anti-doping Foundation (CADF) (riders)

I. Particularity for races part of UCI WorldTour and UCI road continental calendars, class ME HC and 1:

For this races, the athlete's contribution to the Cycling Anti-doping Foundation is 2% of the total prize money really paid.

The organisers of those races don't make any advance to the riders, they pay the full amount to the paying agency (e.g. National Federation or Riders Association,...)

II. Particularity for the other events:

The athlete's contribution to the Cycling Anti-doping Foundation, is 2% of the minimum prize money, which is included on the calendar fees of those races.

In consequence, the organisers of those races are authorised to collect those 2% of minimum prizes to the prizes money paid to the riders.

http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/NewsGeneral/16/55/15/OF14_GENERAL_E_English.PDF

Good post Hog!

In other news, Cookson's transparency and accountability strategy really taking off now:

Swiss anti-doping tribunal's purpose:
The public will never know, unless the rider chooses to announce the adverse finding, as the UCI has made it a policy only to announce provisional suspensions through a published list.

Nicely positioned as: lift the operational burden from National Federations," the UCI stated.

Uhhh. Yeah. :rolleyes:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-anti-doping-tribunal-brings-speed-privacy-in-doping-cases

The story is attributed to no writer, which, means whomever put it together knew it was complete BS.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:
I like Brian. He certainly is a politician. McQuaid must be kicking himself for not dragging anti-doping in house. USADA/Lance never would have happened under these rules.

The Dawg can ride free now. Mutant times are back in town!

Only if you consider the Anti-Doping Tribunal and Cycling Anti-Doping Foundation bent, which I presume you do. Is there no honest man in your town?

TRENDING THREADS