• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cookson is worse for cycling than McQuaid

Page 56 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
doperhopper said:
and moreover, times are changing, says none other than The Czar Oleg, using this example (no joke, really said that) - what to say, doping is so uncool today that even The Mighty Uniballer would not dope, what a New Clean Era!

---

Tinkov also spoke about Lance Armstrong's recent interview with the BBC News where the Texan said if he were racing in 2015, he would not dope again. "That means that times are changing," Tinkov said. "I think it's a good sign."

I could of sworn Lance said he would do it all again in that interview, and he didn't regret doping, just being caught.
Or is that a different interview ?

ebandit said:
bertie served his time...........lance lifetime ban........................

why? misrepresent facts

Mark L

The UCI would never had sanctioned either one if they had their way. That's a simple fact. And then there's ignoring how the anti-doping process actually works to make your post vaguely true.

Furthermore, asking the UCI to be predictable is a whole other impossible task.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
It is possible UCI chose the Contador image and quote to please their friend Oleg.
perhaps a trade off is in the making.
Tinkoff allows UCI to hang Kreuziger, in exchange UCI lets Contador do his thing.

fact

DirtyWorks said:
The UCI would never had sanctioned either one if they had their way. That's a simple fact. And then there's ignoring how the anti-doping process actually works to make your post vaguely true.

Furthermore, asking the UCI to be predictable is a whole other impossible task.

that was a fact with fat pat.................i'm hoping that the 'posturing' over

astana shows that similar would not happen with cookson

Mark L

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
skippythepinhead said:
You are right to be outraged for that. He is just one doped up cyclist among many, and not even close to the worst of the bunch. He's much more human since returning from suspension (my opinion).

He was at first. Not anymore, really.

DirtyWorks said:
Agree.

I'm sticking my neck out and guessing Contador is not mentioned in the CIRC report.

The timing and content of the graphic, which is not a small task to produce, is salient.

Just wanted to point out that that graphic might have taken someone competent with Photoshop about five minutes to produce. Maybe ten.

It is almost the definition of a small task.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Rollthedice said:
He was the "most transformed" rider of 2014 compared to 2013. Something
like a Teejay winning or finishing second in every race he enters (and finishes) this year. But since we're talking about a multiple GT winner in the past this is not a surprise, is it?

Not a surprise that the arms race is back on for the top GC guys. There were a few that looked like they stepped up their game last year, and we'll have to see what happens this year. I wouldn't think hardcore preparation would be left to only a few big stars. Unless some new, undetectable rocket fuel is cost-prohibitive, the wannabes are ambitious too.

RownhamHill said:
Just wanted to point out that that graphic might have taken someone competent with Photoshop about five minutes to produce. Maybe ten.

It is almost the definition of a small task.

Then you haven't worked in a creative environment. Approvals, accommodating this person's desire for a drop shadow, that person doesn't like the font, blah, blah blah.

Beech Mtn said:
Not a surprise that the arms race is back on for the top GC guys. There were a few that looked like they stepped up their game last year, and we'll have to see what happens this year. I wouldn't think hardcore preparation would be left to only a few big stars. Unless some new, undetectable rocket fuel is cost-prohibitive, the wannabes are ambitious too.

Oh it's on for 2015.

What I don't understand is how a rider makes that transition to impervious to sanction despite ridiculous performances. And then other guys get busted down never to be seen in the elite peloton again. (Mancebo)

Maybe it's like the IAAF and if you want to shoot for the podium, you pay to never test positive. That would explain guys like Horner and Froome completely.

Catwhoorg said:
I could of sworn Lance said he would do it all again in that interview, and he didn't regret doping, just being caught.
Or is that a different interview ?

Yep, kind of. He said he would do do again if faced with the situation as it was in 1995, but that he didnt think it was necessary now. Or something along those lines.

LaFlorecita said:
As usual we are on the same page.

I hope Alberto is not mentioned in the report but I doubt this UCI tweet is an indication that he isn't.

I'd be surprised if any current rider is named in the report - legal nightmare. I guess Bertie could be if they cover off the clenbuterol story, but it would have to be factual / public domain stuff or his lawyers would have a field day.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Catwhoorg said:

This is true for pretty much everyone who has ever doped in his life, regardless of what they say.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
CIRC report published. It is official Cookson is worse for cycling than McQuaid.

At least McQuaid was a big stupid bumbling fool who couldn't keep the stories straight.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
McQuaid iniated a report, paid out CHF2million in cash in 2 months then it got buried.

Cookson got a report 'of sorts' published and it proves yep the sport was a mess.

But where is the change? Cookson was to bring change. The past is gone, what about the change for the future?