• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cookson is worse for cycling than McQuaid

Page 57 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 23, 2013
Visit site
ebandit said:
would such a report ever have happened with fat pat at the helm?

Is having such a report (in the form in which it has been published) better than not having it?

(This isn't a rhetorical question. I'm curious as to what the implications are, and to what the consequences will be. It's not difficult to imagine a situation in which Cookson promises and indeed introduces initiatives to address the ongoing doping, while not actually reducing the doping (only giving the appearance of doing so), or indeed (arguably worse still) reducing it inconsistently.)

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Well, as far as I can tell the report produced no actionable intelligence, so no. There will be no changes.

I mean where's the list of dirty doctors? The detailed explanation of new products and methods? What's the supply chain from hospital/pharmaceutical company to the riders? What's the flow of money look like?

Some riders got "preferable treatment". So what? What are you going to do about it? It happened in the past and will stay in the past. Move forward and everything is all better?

Bah!

John Swanson

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
ScienceIsCool said:
Well, as far as I can tell the report produced no actionable intelligence, so no. There will be no changes.

I mean where's the list of dirty doctors? The detailed explanation of new products and methods? What's the supply chain from hospital/pharmaceutical company to the riders? What's the flow of money look like?

Some riders got "preferable treatment". So what? What are you going to do about it? It happened in the past and will stay in the past. Move forward and everything is all better?

Bah!

John Swanson

I think there will be changes.

UCI basically admitted to serious problems re: TUE's the ABP and testing praxises in general...

The question is rather what changes will be implemented. Will they be minor adjustments just for show or will they do something that has effect on current situation..

Either way there is no quick-fix....

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Cookson on Sky Sports News just now

Disappointing:
1. LA backdated TUE - UCI prioritised covering-up over anti-doping.
2. Vrijman report not independently written.

Both of these issues compromised UCI and led to years of problems.

Encouraging:
1. Improvements to testing and ABP. Has had really great impact. Is now possible for clean riders to win biggest events and that has happened in the past.
2. Says to dopers - we are going to catch you sooner or later and we will not cover it up.

No questions or mention of TUEs or corticoid abuse of course

bewildered said:
Cookson on Sky Sports News just now

Disappointing:
1. LA backdated TUE - UCI prioritised covering-up over anti-doping.
2. Vrijman report not independently written.

Both of these issues compromised UCI and led to years of problems.

Encouraging:
1. Improvements to testing and ABP. Has had really great impact. Is now possible for clean riders to win biggest events and that has happened in the past.
2. Says to dopers - we are going to catch you sooner or later and we will not cover it up.

No questions or mention of TUEs or corticoid abuse of course

the Irish call this whistling while walking past the graveyard. :rolleyes:

ebandit said:
of course a few minor issues are acknowledged

Mark L

Fixed that for you.

As posted elsewhere, maybe the entire point was to shame Verbruggen to abdicate his throne. Verbruggen cannot be fired. And we don't know what Verbruggen's involvement or authority is currently.

The report treats bizarre UCI storytelling as fact and cannot be taken seriously.

Benotti69 said:
McQuaid iniated a report, paid out CHF2million in cash in 2 months then it got buried.

Cookson got a report 'of sorts' published and it proves yep the sport was a mess.

But where is the change? Cookson was to bring change. The past is gone, what about the change for the future?

2 million CHF spent in 2 months if the report is halfway correct. That's a whole lotta money gone in 8 weeks.

I don't know if you caught the part about the UCI's reliance on cash payments. No cheques, no EFT, straight cash.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
2 million CHF spent in 2 months if the report is halfway correct. That's a whole lotta money gone in 8 weeks.

I don't know if you caught the part about the UCI's reliance on cash payments. No cheques, no EFT, straight cash.

Cash leaves no trail............;)

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
"Absolutely, standards of governance were very poor and there were leadership issues that showed poor judgment." - Brian Cookson
Well has anything changed? Certainly in some respects but what Brian should understand - and clearly does not - is that good governance must run through the whole of the ethics of the UCI.
The UCI's constitution clearly states that discriminatory action is not acceptable. It also clearly states that national federations must adopt the Constitution to be recognised. Let's take this one step further. The Olympic Charter is also very clear on discrimination and the UCI must accept this to be accepted as part of the Olympic movement. However, Brian Cookson fully accepts the total disregard of these requirements by the Thai National Federation. What's more: he refuses point blank to do anything about it. So where do we go from here if we have a governing body that refuses to support riders against willful discrimination? If they cannot look after the tiny picture, what hope is there for our sport and it's larger issues?

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know how they want the UCI to be run/managed?
Riders/teams will always look for advantages, legal or not.
The UCI or any other sporting body at best can only manage the situation.

Cycling's non stop history of PED's leaves a human line of doping suspicions that can only be rid of if you get all those connections cut.
Doing that and I doubt there would be anyone left in cycling as it stands today.

The Best the UCI can do is manage the situation instead of pretending that the sport is cleaner and it's a battle they are winning,,,yeah right:D

I think perhaps a bit more honesty and openness is needed. No running away from the hard questions. If a performance looks dodgy and flagged then questions should be asked even if the is no evidence of guilt " dopers get away with it a lot" talk about whatever needs doing but don't hide it under the carpet and lets see what the riders/team's defence is. Lets not pretend its not happening even if you cant prove it. Then lets see if other sports will do the same and the UCI should put pressure on other sports to do the same.

And most of all IMO is the importance of cycling to say " other sports dope just as much and if doping is a problem then its not just cycling's"

Armstrong got busted but so did Zidane both were at the very top of their sport yet one is a villain and one is still regarded a hero/legend. Lets highlight this fact and many others from other sports who get away with it in terms of credibility and FFS give Armstrong back his tour wins and tell it like it his.

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/03/c...e-astonished-if-verbruggen-lawsuit-continues/.

Asked what he felt should happen next, Kimmage said that the release of the report in itself is already a very positive step.

?Brian has some work to do now,? he said. ?I give him great credit for delivering on this report and for bringing to light what I have said for a long, long time, and what a couple of others have said.

?This is actually a document of record now. McQuaid?s tenure and Verbruggen?s tenure is now well documented in this report and everyone can read it.

?It is not something written in the Sunday Times or in the Sunday Independent. It is not just an opinion that Paul Kimmage or somebody else had. It is a matter of record now and I think for that alone it has been great.?

Kimmage has been writing about the subject of doping in cycling ever since he retired from cycling in 1989. After years of denials from the governing body, he feels that there is a chance now for some progress to be made.

?Things have to be better now. If you have a governing body that treats doping infractions as an a la carte menu, you have no chance. You are wasting your time doing any tests.

?What is the point in spending on all this money on anti-doping if you are picking and choosing who you are going to test positive? That creates chaos, and that has created the chaos where all this came from.?

?Brian Cookson needed to start with a blank sheet of paper, and that gives him the chance to do that now. He has reacted and addressed the problems within his own organisation and he can now clearly move on from that and address the other recommendations in the report.

?He has laid bare the faults within his own organisation. He needs to address those, act on the recommendations and move on.?

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Considering teams can employ people as Ibarguen it's clear that the effort being done is minimalistic. Last time I checked almost every team had "doctors"with a checkered past.

Jimmy, that you think this is uncalled for cynism is just bizarre. You know fully well what employing a doping doctor means. The only reason why you are balking at admitting the truth is because the logical consequences considering what we saw in recent years.

But, Jimmy, you know exactly what is going on, but instead of being angry at being duped you lash out at the messengers. But it's not the clinic that employed people like the team doctor of Rabo. You are blaming us so hard for it, but yes... you know.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:
Kimmage is probably safe. It's not like he will go full Walsh and become a mouthpiece instead of a journalist.

Cookson will need to do amazing things to get Kimmage's support. It wont be long before the truth of Cookson's intent shines through and Kimmage will see him for the fake that he is.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Joelsim said:
I really don't know how anyone can possibly pass judgement on Cookson yet. Maybe a couple of years down the line you can have a moan or a celebration. I for one, would like to give him some time to sort things out and think he is doing stuff in the right way rather than knee-jerk rubbish.
you sound like you haven't read the thread.

He's under investigation Bronstein. Let's not jump the gun before everything is examined properly by legal people. Why is Kreuziger still racing? Why is Vino still in a job? Why is Rojas still riding? Why are passport readings flatter than they used to be? Why is Ferrari still involved? Why hasn't every single win been deleted from the record books from about 1990 onwards? Why are we judging Cookson right at the start of his tenure when he has to get processes into place for them to be effective?

TRENDING THREADS