• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cookson is worse for cycling than McQuaid

Page 95 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Robert5091 said:
"Constitution changed. Incumbent automatically nominated."
Unless the incumbent has used up all the terms. "The president is limited to a maximum of three terms but with an option on a fourth term should Congress so choose."
Try reading the question that was asked before trying to be Wiki. And, please, quoting back at me words I wrote? That's lacking in imagination.

Re:

Robert5091 said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features...-how-does-the-uci-presidential-election-work/
Those five continental confederations, and the number of votes they can cast, are as follows:

- Union Européenne de Cyclisme, currently headed by David Lappartient, has 15 votes (up from 14 at the last election)
- Confederation Africaine de Cyclisme, currently headed by Mohamed Wagih Azzam, has nine votes (up from seven votes four years ago)
- Asian Cycling Confederation, currently headed by Hee Wook Cho, has nine votes (the same as 2013)
- Confederacion Panamericana de Ciclismo, currently headed by José Manuel Pelaez, has nine votes (the same as 2013)
- Oceanian Cycling Confederation, currently headed by Tracey Gaudry, has three votes (the same as 2013)

How many votes does it take to win?

A majority of the votes cast – more than 50 per cent – wins the election. If all of the available 45 votes are cast, that's 23 votes.

So if we assume UEC gives it's 15 votes to it's President David Lappartient, then it's all up to the other Confederations.
If only there was some grammatical or technical way to distinguish quoted text...

Re: Re:

fmk_RoI said:
Benotti69 said:
But if Cookson has not got the support of BC, who is proposing him?
Constitution changed. Incumbent automatically nominated.
Candidates shall be nominated by their national federation (based on nationality or residence). The incumbent President seeking a re-election shall not require any nomination.
(link)

Unless the incumbent has used up all the terms.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features...-how-does-the-uci-presidential-election-work/
"The president is limited to a maximum of three terms but with an option on a fourth term should Congress so choose."

(I was posting in a hurry and trying not to fill up the thread with a load of quotes. Hope it's easier to read now. :) )

Robert5091 said:
fmk_RoI said:
Benotti69 said:
But if Cookson has not got the support of BC, who is proposing him?
Constitution changed. Incumbent automatically nominated.
Candidates shall be nominated by their national federation (based on nationality or residence). The incumbent President seeking a re-election shall not require any nomination.
(link)

Unless the incumbent has used up all the terms.
"The president is limited to a maximum of three terms but with an option on a fourth term should Congress so choose."

(I was posting in a hurry and trying not to fill up the thread with a load of quotes. Hope it's easier to read now. :) )
I'll get you a step ladder, what was said has clearly gone way over your head...

This now deleted tweet is a little funny, Cookie doesn't appear to like criticism, either on this forum or on Twitter.

Rumor has it, the UCI are DM'ing people telling them to "cease or else".

xnyd1k.jpg

Re:

sniper said:
Collins is back as chair of the CMS committee and has made some clear statements recently.
It seems to me that some people at BC realize they better start distancing themselves from Cookson if they want to keep their jobs.

Why should anyone believe a word out of Cookson's mouth? The entire nonsense with Nibali and his team, and allowing them a license to race, after what was it 8 riders on his own team getting caught for doping, should be enough evidence that Cookson is a fraud, a scam, and completely FOS. His credibility has been shot, I don't know how he's still in power. Then again, I didn't understand how McQuack was still in power for so long, even after all the stuff came out of his involvement with cover ups for Wonderboy.

Anyone seen this?

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/06/cookson-defends-biological-passport-reveals-existence-two-ongoing-cases/

Cookson says they've got two biological passport cases in the "tribunal" going on right now. He won't release any names or further information, and seems to be more inclined in defending the lack of ABP sanctions as evidence of a clean sport (yeah, sure...the ABP creating a clean sport?, lol, he needs to read the WADA McLaren report). Interestingly, in checking the cycling BP sanction data base, the last two riders banned were Menchov & JTL in 2014.

Wouldn't Cookson have alluded to that? He seems to imply that it's two current riders under investigation (i.e., "Tribunal?"). Do they always suspend a rider when there's an active ABP case? I'm more familiar with athletics where the athlete usually isn't suspended from competition pursuant to an ongoing passport investigation by WADA. When the IAAF announces the investigation/sanction recommendation then the athlete is immediately suspended pending the CAS hearing that the athlete always requests.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Look for 'sick' and/or 'injured' riders.

But Cookson might as well be sucking these stories out of his right thumb. It's good PR and who's holding him to account anyway.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

sniper said:

But Cookson might as well be sucking these stories out of his right thumb. It's good PR and who's holding him to account anyway.

Marianne Vos is having a quiet year by her standards!!!

Benotti69 said:
sniper said:

Yes, after the seasons that she had where she dominated every race she entered compared to the way she rides now is a little suspicious.

Did Cookson call her up and warn her?

Who knows, but we could speculate all day long about her case.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

Irondan said:
Benotti69 said:
sniper said:

Yes, after the seasons that she had where she dominated every race she entered compared to the way she rides now is a little suspicious.

Who knows, but we could speculate all day long about her case.
Vos is a good shout, in which case we'll never find out because they'll bury it or deal with it through a silent ban.
Wout Poels also springs to mind. But I don't see UCI going after a Sky rider either.
Cookson simply bluffing is another possibility.

Irondan said:
"Hello, Marianne, yes, Brian here. ... Brian who? Brian Cookson! ... Yes, the head of the UCI! Look, I'm afraid I've got some awfully bad news for you, we need you to break a bone for us, something that'll lay you up a while. ... Yes, yes, yes, I know, again. But, soz, that's just the way it is."

fmk_RoI said:
Irondan said:
"Hello, Marianne, yes, Brian here. ... Brian who? Brian Cookson! ... Yes, the head of the UCI! Look, I'm afraid I've got some awfully bad news for you, we need you to break a bone for us, something that'll lay you up a while. ... Yes, yes, yes, I know, again. But, soz, that's just the way it is."
Sounds legit... :D

Seems like the UCI Presidential race is sinking fast it's tone - fighting it out in the media now. How long before we reach Godwin's Law level? :D

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/brian-cookson-i-dont-want-lance-armstrongs-endorsement/
Incumbent UCI President Brian Cookson has told Cyclingnews he is happy that Lance Armstrong has turned against him on social media, considering it a positive endorsement of the work he has done during his first term to fight the problems of doping and to drag the sport from the “dark old days” when Hein Verbruggen and, later, Pat McQuaid were UCI President and Armstrong was at the height of his powers.

Lappartient has criticised Cookson for a lack of backbone, using it against him. In Wednesday’s L’Equipe, in side by side interviews, Lappartient suggested that it was UCI Director General Martin Gibbs who controlled the UCI, rather Cookson, while suggesting he has far more authority and leadership ability.

Cookson hit back by saying that running the UCI and its 30 million Euro budget is not like being the mayor of a ‘small Breton village’. Lappartient mixed a role in local politics and the presidency of the French Cycling Federation before becoming UCI vice-president, the president of the UCI’s Professional Cycling Council and president of the European Cycling Union (UEC).

Cookson has been more active in the media in the last 2 weeks than he has in the previous 2 years. He is clearly desperate to cling to power.

Saying as he is so busy giving media briefings now, the next time he speaks I'd like if he could confirm if he has updated his method of checking for motors at the tour or whether he intends to ignore police advice again this year.

Re:

Robert5091 said:
Seems like the UCI Presidential race is sinking fast it's tone - fighting it out in the media now. How long before we reach Godwin's Law level? :D

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/brian-cookson-i-dont-want-lance-armstrongs-endorsement/
Incumbent UCI President Brian Cookson has told Cyclingnews he is happy that Lance Armstrong has turned against him on social media, considering it a positive endorsement of the work he has done during his first term to fight the problems of doping and to drag the sport from the “dark old days” when Hein Verbruggen and, later, Pat McQuaid were UCI President and Armstrong was at the height of his powers.

Lappartient has criticised Cookson for a lack of backbone, using it against him. In Wednesday’s L’Equipe, in side by side interviews, Lappartient suggested that it was UCI Director General Martin Gibbs who controlled the UCI, rather Cookson, while suggesting he has far more authority and leadership ability.

Cookson hit back by saying that running the UCI and its 30 million Euro budget is not like being the mayor of a ‘small Breton village’. Lappartient mixed a role in local politics and the presidency of the French Cycling Federation before becoming UCI vice-president, the president of the UCI’s Professional Cycling Council and president of the European Cycling Union (UEC).

Of course it was Gibbs, he's the brains behind Cookson, late Verbruggen mentioned that also...

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

ontheroad said:
Cookson has been more active in the media in the last 2 weeks than he has in the previous 2 years. He is clearly desperate to cling to power.
There is a shitload at stake for Cookson and 'friends'. It's not just about the presidency. It's about Cookson's past. His son's future. Covering up Team Sky's and BC's cheating throughout the past two decades.

Saying as he is so busy giving media briefings now, the next time he speaks I'd like if he could confirm if he has updated his method of checking for motors at the tour or whether he intends to ignore police advice again this year.
That's one of many issues.

But people who say it's all Martin Gibbs are wrong.
Sure, Gibbs seems to be pulling a lot of strings. But Cookson has been very actively involved himself in a lot of dodgy business, and there's no need to cut him slack by saying he's just Gibbs' muppet.

For instance, all the dodgy dealings with MTN Qhubeka/Dimension Data is Cookson's work.
This includes:
- the appointment of a certain JP Van Zyl, a convicted doper with close connections to Dimension Data, as head of UCI's South African WCC;
- the appointment of son Oliver as a DS at Dimension Data;
- ensuring Dimension Data's world tour license for 2016&17

I wrote about the appointment of Van Zyl here:
viewtopic.php?p=1956321#p1956321

Gasping conflicts of interest with a large teaspoon of nepotism.
Plenty of scope for brown envelopes, cover-ups and cheating.
Not pretty.

sniper said:
ontheroad said:
There is a shitload at stake for Cookson and 'friends'. It's not just about the presidency. It's about Cookson's past. His son's future. Covering up Team Sky's and BC's cheating throughout the past two decades.

That's one of many issues.

But people who say it's all Martin Gibbs are wrong.
Sure, Gibbs seems to be pulling a lot of strings. But Cookson has been very actively involved himself in a lot of dodgy business, and there's no need to cut him slack by saying he's just Gibbs' muppet.

For instance, all the dodgy dealings with MTN Qhubeka/Dimension Data is Cookson's work.
This includes:
- the appointment of a certain JP Van Zyl, a convicted doper with close connections to Dimension Data, as head of UCI's South African WCC;
- the appointment of son Oliver as a DS at Dimension Data;
- ensuring Dimension Data's world tour license for 2016&17

I wrote about the appointment of Van Zyl here:
viewtopic.php?p=1956321#p1956321

Gasping conflicts of interest with a large teaspoon of nepotism.
Plenty of scope for brown envelopes, cover-ups and cheating.
Not pretty.

So Cookson is planning to get the African votes then? :D Maybe his pick for the Oceania Federation too will come up trumps. see

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cookson-appoints-vice-presidents/
Newly elected President of the International Cycling Union (UCI), Brian Cookson, has announced the three vice presidents he has entrusted to help reform the sport under his watch. For the next four years, Tracey Gaudry of the Oceania Federation, David Lappartient of the European Federation and Mohamed Wagih Azzam of the African federation will serve under Cookson.

TRENDING THREADS