Cookson is worse for cycling than McQuaid

Page 95 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
28,144
2
0
How can anyone take this sport seriously when the high priest of sporting morality who dedicates his life to anti doping tweets this crap

Jonathan Vaughters‏ @Vaughters 20 hours ago

Lappartient = ASO meat puppet. Hugely negative for athletes and teams.
ASO runs cycling, the important parts of the pro sport. The UCI only ever rattled their sword at ASO, the wimps, so to call Lappartient an ASO meat puppet is splitting hairs on a flea!!!!


This sport remains firmly in the gutter for the foreseeable future, the pro part of it at least, Luckily most people who are buying bikes are not interested in paying for a UCI licence. The UCI might die yet.
 
Oct 16, 2010
19,912
1
0
Re:

Benotti69 said:
How can anyone take this sport seriously when the high priest of sporting morality who dedicates his life to anti doping tweets this crap

Jonathan Vaughters‏ @Vaughters 20 hours ago

Lappartient = ASO meat puppet. Hugely negative for athletes and teams.
ASO runs cycling, the important parts of the pro sport. The UCI only ever rattled their sword at ASO, the wimps, so to call Lappartient an ASO meat puppet is splitting hairs on a flea!!!!


This sport remains firmly in the gutter for the foreseeable future, the pro part of it at least, Luckily most people who are buying bikes are not interested in paying for a UCI licence. The UCI might die yet.
Vaughters will back Cookson for the same reason Sky and many other teams will: protection and cover up.
Everything else Vaughters is now saying on twitter is a weak deflection away from that.

It's about time Vaughters starts opening up about what he knows about motors in the peloton.
Come on Jonathan. Tell us why you were so keen to keep Johnny Weltz on board.
 
Oct 10, 2012
1,426
0
0
Very strong words from Vaughters. Maybe he is right but has he made any comment on the credibility of Cookson? Just a s**t show.
 
Re:

ontheroad said:
Very strong words from Vaughters. Maybe he is right but has he made any comment on the credibility of Cookson? Just a s**t show.
Why would anyone listen to Vaughters? He runs a team for his own financial benefit with interest in the sport itself. Well except for own self serving interest in Velon. ASO is the sport, they own most of the races and have great support with other rede directors and companies. Velon is trying to *** in on that patch with races in non-traditional cycling nations. I would expect JV is getting a cut from those races.
 
Re: Re:

sniper said:
Vaughters will back Cookson for the same reason Sky and many other teams will: protection and cover up.
Of course, who Vaughters wants as prez, who Sky want as prez, that's actually pretty irrelevant: they don't get to vote. And if today's l'Équipe is right about British Cycling rowing in behind Lappartient, then Sky can't even control the votes local to them...
 

Irondan

Administrator
Moderator
Re: Re:

fmk_RoI said:
sniper said:
Vaughters will back Cookson for the same reason Sky and many other teams will: protection and cover up.
Of course, who Vaughters wants as prez, who Sky want as prez, that's actually pretty irrelevant: they don't get to vote. And if today's l'Équipe is right about British Cycling rowing in behind Lappartient, then Sky can't even control the votes local to them...
Cookson doesn't even have the support of his own federation?

That's saying a lot if you ask me...
 
May 26, 2010
28,144
2
0
Re: Re:

Irondan said:
fmk_RoI said:
sniper said:
Vaughters will back Cookson for the same reason Sky and many other teams will: protection and cover up.
Of course, who Vaughters wants as prez, who Sky want as prez, that's actually pretty irrelevant: they don't get to vote. And if today's l'Équipe is right about British Cycling rowing in behind Lappartient, then Sky can't even control the votes local to them...
Cookson doesn't even have the support of his own federation?

That's saying a lot if you ask me...
Neither did McQuaid.

But if Cookson has not got the support of BC, who is proposing him?

UCI presidents look at UCI as a stepping stone to IOC riches.
 
Oct 16, 2010
19,912
1
0
Collins is back as chair of the CMS committee and has made some clear statements recently.
It seems to me that some people at BC realize they better start distancing themselves from Cookson if they want to keep their jobs.
 
Re: Re:

fmk_RoI said:
Last I heard McQuaid was busking on Grafton Street.
Huh. Last I heard his kid was doing alright for himself.
Irondan said:
Cookson doesn't even have the support of his own federation?

That's saying a lot if you ask me...
What I've read is that they like Dave and don't want to fund Brian's campaign, but not that they'll disavow him altogether.

Anyway if HWMNBN and Gellert Grindelwald are taking shots at him he can't be all that bad.
 
Re: Re:

carton said:
What I've read is that they like Dave and don't want to fund Brian's campaign, but not that they'll disavow him altogether.
Where'd you hear that? Cause it's UK Sport - not British Cycling - has publicly said they wouldn't fund Cookson's campaign, though they would be supporting him.
 
Re: Re:

Benotti69 said:
fmk_RoI said:
Benotti69 said:
UCI presidents look at UCI as a stepping stone to IOC riches.
Last I heard McQuaid was busking on Grafton Street.
Last I heard McQuaid was going round the Phoenix Park collecting rental bikes.
I'll see you and raise you: last I heard McQuaid was interviewing for a job as a lock hard man in the Phoenix Park to stop the cars parking in the bike lane.
 
Oct 16, 2010
19,912
1
0
Re: Re:

fmk_RoI said:
sniper said:
Collins is back as chair of the CMS committee and has made some clear statements recently.
Facts, they do keep getting in the way of a good story, the silly little things...
Culture Media Sport
CommonsCMS

The new Committee has not been established yet following the election & we don’t yet know when it will be set up. We will post details ASAP.

11:55 am - 21 Jun 2017
Thanks for the fact checking. Team work.
 
Oct 16, 2010
19,912
1
0
The intriguing thing about McQuaid and Cookson is that, whilst they can drink each others blood, they also have a couple of neatly overlapping interests and shared contacts related to procycling in general and Team Sky in particular. Uncle Brian is buddies with Wiggo's father in law and danced at Wiggo's wedding. But it was Phat McQuaid who was getting wasted at Wiggo's hour-record after party.
 
Re: Re:

sniper said:
fmk_RoI said:
sniper said:
Collins is back as chair of the CMS committee and has made some clear statements recently.
Facts, they do keep getting in the way of a good story, the silly little things...
Culture Media Sport
CommonsCMS

The new Committee has not been established yet following the election & we don’t yet know when it will be set up. We will post details ASAP.

11:55 am - 21 Jun 2017
Thanks for the fact checking. Team work.
Just think how simpler life would be for everyone if you yourself actually checked whether the things you say were true before you said them. But you don't really care about facts, do you?
 
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/making-of-a-president-how-does-the-uci-presidential-election-work/
Those five continental confederations, and the number of votes they can cast, are as follows:

- Union Européenne de Cyclisme, currently headed by David Lappartient, has 15 votes (up from 14 at the last election)
- Confederation Africaine de Cyclisme, currently headed by Mohamed Wagih Azzam, has nine votes (up from seven votes four years ago)
- Asian Cycling Confederation, currently headed by Hee Wook Cho, has nine votes (the same as 2013)
- Confederacion Panamericana de Ciclismo, currently headed by José Manuel Pelaez, has nine votes (the same as 2013)
- Oceanian Cycling Confederation, currently headed by Tracey Gaudry, has three votes (the same as 2013)

How many votes does it take to win?

A majority of the votes cast – more than 50 per cent – wins the election. If all of the available 45 votes are cast, that's 23 votes.
So if we assume UEC gives it's 15 votes to it's President David Lappartient, then it's all up to the other Confederations.
 
Re:

sniper said:
The intriguing thing about McQuaid and Cookson is that, whilst they can drink each others blood, they also have a couple of neatly overlapping interests and shared contacts related to procycling in general and Team Sky in particular. Uncle Brian is buddies with Wiggo's father in law and danced at Wiggo's wedding. But it was Phat McQuaid who was getting wasted at Wiggo's hour-record after party.
It's a small sport full of odd personalities.

To this day, I don't know how much the President interacts with the management committee, but, Cookson was on the management committee for years under Mcquaid.
 
Re:

Robert5091 said:
"Constitution changed. Incumbent automatically nominated."
Unless the incumbent has used up all the terms. "The president is limited to a maximum of three terms but with an option on a fourth term should Congress so choose."
Try reading the question that was asked before trying to be Wiki. And, please, quoting back at me words I wrote? That's lacking in imagination.
 
Re:

Robert5091 said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/making-of-a-president-how-does-the-uci-presidential-election-work/
Those five continental confederations, and the number of votes they can cast, are as follows:

- Union Européenne de Cyclisme, currently headed by David Lappartient, has 15 votes (up from 14 at the last election)
- Confederation Africaine de Cyclisme, currently headed by Mohamed Wagih Azzam, has nine votes (up from seven votes four years ago)
- Asian Cycling Confederation, currently headed by Hee Wook Cho, has nine votes (the same as 2013)
- Confederacion Panamericana de Ciclismo, currently headed by José Manuel Pelaez, has nine votes (the same as 2013)
- Oceanian Cycling Confederation, currently headed by Tracey Gaudry, has three votes (the same as 2013)

How many votes does it take to win?

A majority of the votes cast – more than 50 per cent – wins the election. If all of the available 45 votes are cast, that's 23 votes.

So if we assume UEC gives it's 15 votes to it's President David Lappartient, then it's all up to the other Confederations.
If only there was some grammatical or technical way to distinguish quoted text...
 
Re: Re:

fmk_RoI said:
Benotti69 said:
But if Cookson has not got the support of BC, who is proposing him?
Constitution changed. Incumbent automatically nominated.
Candidates shall be nominated by their national federation (based on nationality or residence). The incumbent President seeking a re-election shall not require any nomination.
(link)
Unless the incumbent has used up all the terms.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/making-of-a-president-how-does-the-uci-presidential-election-work/
"The president is limited to a maximum of three terms but with an option on a fourth term should Congress so choose."
(I was posting in a hurry and trying not to fill up the thread with a load of quotes. Hope it's easier to read now. :) )
 
Re: Re:

Robert5091 said:
fmk_RoI said:
Benotti69 said:
But if Cookson has not got the support of BC, who is proposing him?
Constitution changed. Incumbent automatically nominated.
Candidates shall be nominated by their national federation (based on nationality or residence). The incumbent President seeking a re-election shall not require any nomination.
(link)
Unless the incumbent has used up all the terms.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/making-of-a-president-how-does-the-uci-presidential-election-work/
"The president is limited to a maximum of three terms but with an option on a fourth term should Congress so choose."
(I was posting in a hurry and trying not to fill up the thread with a load of quotes. Hope it's easier to read now. :) )
I'll get you a step ladder, what was said has clearly gone way over your head...
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BlueRoads The Clinic 2

ASK THE COMMUNITY

Latest posts